Focal Stellia Review, Measurements, Interview - Head-Fi TV
Jun 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #2,281 of 4,488
If you have followed this thread, or even searched this thread, periodically, you will see, the topic of will the Stellia grow on me emerges. Wash, rinse and repeat. The same with should have I chosen the VC instead. Without upgrading your cable, it has been discovered time and time again that Stellia proves itself with time. It happened to me as well. I was like this is what 3K sounds like? I had a sinking feeling and was overcome with buyer's remorse. I even tried the VC, while owning Stellia, and ultimately, once again Stellia emerged. Believe in burn-in or not, it isn't important. Once I invested in my upgraded silver cable, it was no comparison, and yes, I bought the exact same cable for the VC so I could do a proper A/B. Hang in there the best is yet to come.

This is so super interesting since I was about to go down the same route. Please share with us a bit more of your journey .. how does comfort compare? How is the spatial sound in both VC and Stellia? Are we talking about warm/cosy vs analytical/sterile? And what differences does the silver cable make with both? Can’t wait for your replies :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,282 of 4,488
This is so super interesting since I was about to go down the same route. Please share with us a bit more of your journey .. how does comfort compare? How is the spatial sound in both VC and Stellia? Are we talking about warm/cosy vs analytical/sterile? And what differences does the silver cable make with both? Can’t wait for your replies :)
I can’t compare those two headphones but here are my 2cents concerning the Arctic Cable @subguy812 was talking about.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/foc...rview-head-fi-tv.899912/page-96#post-15390311

Also I am getting their new Palladium plated Upocc silver cable, in fact the cable you see here is mine :wink: ... will report back about their sound as soon as they are burned in: http://arcticcables.com/Catalog.asp?Page=NewShowProd.asp&PRodID=1791976

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #2,283 of 4,488
If you have followed this thread, or even searched this thread, periodically, you will see, the topic of will the Stellia grow on me emerges. Wash, rinse and repeat. The same with should have I chosen the VC instead. Without upgrading your cable, it has been discovered time and time again that Stellia proves itself with time. It happened to me as well. I was like this is what 3K sounds like? I had a sinking feeling and was overcome with buyer's remorse. I even tried the VC, while owning Stellia, and ultimately, once again Stellia emerged. Believe in burn-in or not, it isn't important. Once I invested in my upgraded silver cable, it was no comparison, and yes, I bought the exact same cable for the VC so I could do a proper A/B. Hang in there the best is yet to come.
I'm really glad I got the Stellia when I did, I'm finding it absolutely first rate with everything I've thrown at it. For me a big deciding factor was the better isolation in the Stellia, and the ease at which portable equipment can run it - although it really reveals the amp and DAC powering it. VC impressed me with a wide sound, and a portrayal of the reverbarent field of the room that might not be 'natural', but the euphonic characteristics of the VC kind of deputized for the 'natural', so it was really pleasant. The width was very appealing.

Jun 23, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,284 of 4,488
I wouldn't call Stellia sterile at all. It's more intimate in sound stage, but I'd characterize it more as a very, very, very clean and energetic phone.

Jun 23, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #2,285 of 4,488
I wouldn't call Stellia sterile at all. It's more intimate in sound stage, but I'd characterize it more as a very, very, very clean and energetic phone.

Oh, me writing "sterile" above did not mean that I personally find it sterile, it was to use a juxtaposition vs the lush sound often attributed to the VC. Anyway, thanks for the lively and excellent description of it. Plus, it corrected my impression (only from reading) that the ZMF would be more isolating.

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #2,287 of 4,488
Oh my goodness.
This was a really nice unboxing experience. Even nice than the Utopia..
The leather pads feel softer too. Build quality is out of this world. Oozes luxury.

Out of the box.. I am really liking what I'm hearing. Almost like the Utopia, but.. different. Very nice full sounding low end, but hoping it will extend down lower with breaking in.

The immediately noticeable difference between the Stellia and ZMF VC is the Stellia has simply amazing clarity and air up top. Sounds much more transparent too. I felt this was missing with the VC.

I did not take out the stock cables from the case. Am using the AC silver with affinity ultra-short adaptors.

20200623_214001.jpg
20200623_214103.jpg
20200623_214117.jpg
20200623_214215.jpg
20200623_214205.jpg
20200623_214245.jpg
20200623_214253.jpg

Jun 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,288 of 4,488
The immediately noticeable difference between the Stellia and ZMF VC is the Stellia has simply amazing clarity and air up top. Sounds much more transparent too. I felt this was missing with the VC.

That was exactly my impression when I compared them. I'm surprised that another poster said the Stellia is warmer than the VC. To me, the Stellia is pretty flat and the VC has a bump in the bass and in the mid-range and has slightly rolled off treble.

My only real complaint with the Stellia is that replacement pads are seriously over-priced ($360 per pair).

What amps are people using? I'm getting excellent results with the Woo WA-5.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #2,290 of 4,488
That was exactly my impression when I compared them. I'm surprised that another poster said the Stellia is warmer than the VC. To me, the Stellia is pretty flat and the VC has a bump in the bass and in the mid-range and has slightly rolled off treble.

My only real complaint with the Stellia is that replacement pads are seriously over-priced ($360 per pair).

Focal Arche with Stellia setting.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,293 of 4,488
Oh, me writing "sterile" above did not mean that I personally find it sterile, it was to use a juxtaposition vs the lush sound often attributed to the VC. Anyway, thanks for the lively and excellent description of it. Plus, it corrected my impression (only from reading) that the ZMF would be more isolating.
My experience is in line with what you read. The VC is more isolating than Stellia in my case... Sorry if you thought you had reached a conclusion on this... :)

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,294 of 4,488

To each his own I guess. I find the HF too grainy and metallic to be clean. Maybe an unfortunate characteristic of a pure beryllium driver. Energetic, I agree.

Jun 23, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #2,295 of 4,488

Great points! The Stellia is great with the THX-789, although I really want to upgrade when I can. I've got a couple of tube amps, and surprisingly, the Stellia sounds great with them also. Stellia plus Mojo is my mobile setup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back