Focal Spirit Classic First Look - Head-Fi TV
Sep 29, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #16 of 204
I think the M500 holds its own in this category, regardless of being on-ear. In fact, I'd be willing to put significant money on preferring it over the P7, even though I haven't yet heard the P7. As for the Classic, I guess we'll see...

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #17 of 204
  I think the M500 holds its own in this category, regardless of being on-ear. In fact, I'd be willing to put significant money on preferring it over the P7, even though I haven't yet heard the P7. As for the Classic, I guess we'll see...

Isn't that a bit dangerous to say ... ?

I do agree that the M500 is exquisite but the P7 is a over ear model vs the P3 and P5 beeing on ear and maybe it will stand tall this time. B&W is a serious company maybe it will be somewhat overpriced but I hope not, I hope its worth every penny.

The more gems out there the more companies will push themselves to get it right. Specialy these 3 speakerbuilding companies that have to keep their name  UP  there.

Regarding the spirit classic and spirit Pro I'm curious how the high response is on them I do love the spirit one's sound just that the highs were a bit rolled off, but that never stopped me of picking it very often above others...

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #18 of 204
I gave premature sentiments about the P7 because I generally don't like the sound signature of the P5 and P3, and I doubt it'll change considerably in their over-ear product. I reserve judgement on the Focal.

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #19 of 204
  I gave premature sentiments about the P7 because I generally don't like the sound signature of the P5 and P3, and I doubt it'll change considerably in their over-ear product. I reserve judgement on the Focal.

It should change..... the drivers are sitting a little away from the ears, not on them as with the P3 and P5.....but just speculating.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #20 of 204
Sure B&W (and Focal-JMLabs, and KEF - as well as Sennheiser, Harmon/Kardon, and others) are "serious" companies, with serious marketing teams, seriously concerned with maintaining serious brand reputations.

However, another goal (THE goal) in marketing is to maximize price per product, to the Nth penny possible.  Rarely do these companies turn out absolute duds, and also rarely do they turn out "giant-killers." These companies ARE the giants - the ones whose branding, design, production, distribution, and pricing are highly optimized.  If these companies have hired the right people, you can bet your leather-wrapped earpads the product's value will be "good" - no better and no worse.  Only the smaller companies with less regimented - or very daring - marketing operations turn out products with such skewed value propositions that they end up either "failures" or "absolute bangs-for-the-buck " or somewhere in-between.

Will the P7, or the Spirit Classic at the heart of this thread, or the next full-size cans from KEF, be "worth every penny"?  You can bet your silver-wired transformers they will be - these companies are too smart for that not to happen.

But could your individual pennies be worth more if you spent them somewhere else?  Well, that depends on how you evaluate your gear...

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #21 of 204
  Sure B&W (and Focal-JMLabs, and KEF - as well as Sennheiser, Harmon/Kardon, and others) are "serious" companies, with serious marketing teams, seriously concerned with maintaining serious brand reputations.

However, another goal (THE goal) in marketing is to maximize price per product, to the Nth penny possible.  Rarely do these companies turn out absolute duds, and also rarely do they turn out "giant-killers." These companies ARE the giants - the ones whose branding, design, production, distribution, and pricing are highly optimized.  If these companies have hired the right people, you can bet your leather-wrapped earpads the product's value will be "good" - no better and no worse.  Only the smaller companies with less regimented - or very daring - marketing operations turn out products with such skewed value propositions that they end up either "failures" or "absolute bangs-for-the-buck " or somewhere in-between.

Will the P7, or the Spirit Classic at the heart of this thread, or the next full-size cans from KEF, be "worth every penny"?  You can bet your silver-wired transformers they will be - these companies are too smart for that not to happen.

But could your individual pennies be worth more if you spent them somewhere else?  Well, that depends on how you evaluate your gear...

I don't think anyone could have said that any better.
If the FSC is brighter than the FS1, I'm all over it.

Sep 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 204

The KEF is the best (and I mean the best) closed portable audiophile headphone for home use or just casual walking around but it doesn't mean it owns the category.  Audiophiles take up a small percent of the music listening audience, and not too many (of course there's a lot of them) Head-Fi'ers actually try to seek out the optimal flat response so the KEF isn't really the best.  I like my MDR 1r and Momentum just as much as it when I am in transit.  I actually think the best sounding would have to be the FS1 for the isolation it gives, of course the momentum and m100 are about equal.  I can't hear the Kef's bass very well on the train or bus, so its response isn't really optimal.  

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #23 of 204
I'm finding that the Momentum is the one that's capturing the most hearts in the public market; I've had a few friends ask me about them casually.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 204

From the B&W headphones I've auditioned I've made the conclusion that they are a status product for rich people, maybe for the people who also own B&W speaker gear. But not for the "real" audiophiles

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #26 of 204
Huh? I'd say that people who own B&W speakers are probably real audiophiles
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #27 of 204
  Huh? I'd say that people who own B&W speakers are probably real audiophiles
rolleyes.gif

I would agree if it were not for B&W already being an established brand that excels not just at audio, but at beautiful modern designs that easily manages to find its way into the modern homes of rich folk that who don't want their audio products to just sounds good like over 90% of the functional cuboid designs in the world. 
There are many non-audiophiles who know the brand because of their aesthetics. It's not a bad thing though. Just a good product niche and good marketing. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #28 of 204
I've come across some movie scenes and dramas where the rich guys have B&W 800 series speakers, either 802D or 800D in the living/audio room.
I haven't come across scenes in any movie or drama where Focal Utopia speakers are in the living/audio room.
Talk about silent advertising....

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #29 of 204
I think some of the B&W brand speakers do focus a bit on aesthetics over sound... but that doesn't go without saying the speakers are still alright. I think the general popularity around B&W just comes from the accessibility of the brand. Even Best Buy sells B&W. :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back