Focal Spirit Classic First Look - Head-Fi TV
Oct 17, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #31 of 204
Wow, these look damn nice! Too bad it's so expensive.
frown.gif

Considering the price is $399 I wonder how these compare to the new B&W P7. Although I don't know why I want to know, I can't afford that one either! One day...
rolleyes.gif

I can assure you the Focal Spirit Classic absolutely outclasses the P7, there's no need for any second thought. I own the Spirit One, and they are 100 times better than the P7. All of B&W's headphones have the same sound characteristics - pretty dark, not very homogenic, and not so natural... Although there's plenty of bottom in the P7's, the Spirit One opens everything up, bringing details not audible with the concurrent and gives you happy surprises every time you play a new song. I can't wait to see what the Spirit Classic then can do....

Actually I'm such a big fan of the Focal sound ideology that I think they're not at all far away from the expensive headphones such as the mid-upper Beyerdynamics and Sennheiser models. I've listened to the HD800s, but referring to the price, I was not impressed at all... But that's just my opinion, and everybody have their own taste. 

Although I can assure you, one must be crazy to consider the P7 outperforming the Spirit series... 

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 204
I can assure you the Focal Spirit Classic absolutely outclasses the P7, there's no need for any second thought.............

....................Although I can assure you, one must be crazy to consider the P7 outperforming the Spirit series... 

Strong words and opinion I must say. What setup did you use for your auditioning of both headphones?

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #33 of 204

I can assure you the Focal Spirit Classic absolutely outclasses the P7, there's no need for any second thought. I own the Spirit One, and they are 100 times better than the P7. All of B&W's headphones have the same sound characteristics - pretty dark, not very homogenic, and not so natural... Although there's plenty of bottom in the P7's, the Spirit One opens everything up, bringing details not audible with the concurrent and gives you happy surprises every time you play a new song. I can't wait to see what the Spirit Classic then can do....

Actually I'm such a big fan of the Focal sound ideology that I think they're not at all far away from the expensive headphones such as the mid-upper Beyerdynamics and Sennheiser models. I've listened to the HD800s, but referring to the price, I was not impressed at all... But that's just my opinion, and everybody have their own taste. 

Although I can assure you, one must be crazy to consider the P7 outperforming the Spirit series... 

Have you heard the P7, that you're able to compare it to the Focals?

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #35 of 204
  Anyone can translate this for us?
http://www.qobuz.com/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Test-casque-Focal-Spirit-Classic-l174272

Google is your friend:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qobuz.com%2Finfo%2FHi-Fi%2FBancs-d-essai%2FTest-casque-Focal-Spirit-Classic-l174272&act=url

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #36 of 204
  Anyone can translate this for us?
http://www.qobuz.com/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Test-casque-Focal-Spirit-Classic-l174272

I could but I don't think it's so informative. Qobuz and Focal has some commercial agreements so I can't really be confident about qobuz impartiality about Focal products :wink:

This paper says that Focal Classic is good, neutral , accurate and detailed but not oriented for outside use.. nothing really useful. 

I own myself a Focal S1 for my wife and I really like it. I often buy music by Qobuz too. So, don't consider my opinion as a criticism against Focal or Qobuz.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #37 of 204

Google is your friend:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qobuz.com%2Finfo%2FHi-Fi%2FBancs-d-essai%2FTest-casque-Focal-Spirit-Classic-l174272&act=url

So reading that review, they're saying overall neutral, with slightly forward mids. And it's not really made for portable use, but it should work fine on portable equipment. And they say it wouldn't be suitable for big heads/ears (and yeah, on the pics the earpads do look kinda small). Otherwise great build quality.

Oct 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #39 of 204
  I can't wait for the Classic to come to USA.  I have the P7 & B&O H6 here waiting for the Classic.

Slightly offtopic, but how does the B&O compare to the P7? And how much larger or smaller are the earcups of the B&O compared to the P7?

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #40 of 204
Strong words and opinion I must say. What setup did you use for your auditioning of both headphones?

A company called "Hifiklubben" here in Sweden recieved some P7s last week, and I went there on Thursday to listen to some floorstanding speakers. When I found out the new B&W headphone had just arrived I was glad to have brought the portable setup consisting of a Samsung Galaxy S4 with USB Audio Recorder Pro and an Audioquest Dragonfly (ESS Sabre 24 bit DAC), which I consider being good enough for headphones of that class.

I own the Spirit One myself, but trust me - I'm not partial, I've heard much better headphones, but they also cost more... I have to think about the stereo too, latest addition was a Rega RP3. Anyway, I happen to like the sound character of the Spirit One, but I'm not blind to whether other headphones are good or not.

The Spirit One is in my opinion much more detailed with better instrument separation and a more open, natural sound. The P7 has a much darker sound character, although it has plenty of bass response and a pretty wide soundstage it lacks of some of the micro-details that are present when driving the Focal right. But as I said, that's my opinion and I respect anybody who doesn't agree! 

What do you other guys think, anyone who has compared the two? Give your opinion on pros/cons for the two, and which is the better!

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #42 of 204

A company called "Hifiklubben" here in Sweden recieved some P7s last week, and I went there on Thursday to listen to some floorstanding speakers. When I found out the new B&W headphone had just arrived I was glad to have brought the portable setup consisting of a Samsung Galaxy S4 with USB Audio Recorder Pro and an Audioquest Dragonfly (ESS Sabre 24 bit DAC), which I consider being good enough for headphones of that class.

I own the Spirit One myself, but trust me - I'm not partial, I've heard much better headphones, but they also cost more... I have to think about the stereo too, latest addition was a Rega RP3. Anyway, I happen to like the sound character of the Spirit One, but I'm not blind to whether other headphones are good or not.

The Spirit One is in my opinion much more detailed with better instrument separation and a more open, natural sound. The P7 has a much darker sound character, although it has plenty of bass response and a pretty wide soundstage it lacks of some of the micro-details that are present when driving the Focal right. But as I said, that's my opinion and I respect anybody who doesn't agree! 

What do you other guys think, anyone who has compared the two? Give your opinion on pros/cons for the two, and which is the better!

Thank you for this reply, It is a valuable addition to your earlier reply.

I do own a pair of spirit ones aswel and can not say to many bad things about them besides some lack of comfort.

As owner of the Spirit One you must have noticed the positive change after it burned in enough hours. ... I think many current owners of the P7 do not react or want to write down their impressions or any sort of review until they feel they know their headphone AB-ed  them on their rig and feel confident to tell how it sounds like to them, what the headphone's pro's and cons are etc.

Regarding valuable reviews, impressions etc. I tend to be sceptic towards early impressions or even reviews of headphones that are freshly released.

Until now the first impressions by several HeadFi-ers  on the P7 have been quite positive, but so have those been on the new Focals.

Personally I will always tend to Focal above B&W, but that does not mean to me that B&W is uncapable of making great or even amazing audio equipment.

Early Impressions will always have my benefit of doubt. Sorry for that.
wink.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #43 of 204
Here a review of the Focal Spirit Classic: http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Focal-Spirit-Classic-Headphone-Review_624/Review.html

The distributor here in the Netherlands also told me that they became available here this week, so I'll see if I can give them a listen somewhere. Will post my impressions when I've done so.

Edit: so, I found a store that has them. Retail price is € 299, so not too bad. Might go by on Saturday to give them a listen.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #44 of 204
@ starfly why nog give the spirit professional a listen aswell from the first impressions some people gave the spirit professional Sounded flatter VS the spirit classic a tad more bassier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back