Focal Sphear earphones
Nov 24, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #76 of 166
Thanks for the review!

Could you perhaps say anything on how they compare to other IEM's in - more or less - that price range? Like the sure 215's, RHA MA750's, Dunu Titan 1 and Sony EX650?

My Sony EX650 broke down couple of months ago, got the money back and might be looking to upgrade. Love the Focal speaker products so was interested in these. I am not really thrilled by the general opinion though.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #77 of 166
  Thanks for the review!

Could you perhaps say anything on how they compare to other IEM's in - more or less - that price range? Like the sure 215's, RHA MA750's, Dunu Titan 1 and Sony EX650?

My Sony EX650 broke down couple of months ago, got the money back and might be looking to upgrade. Love the Focal speaker products so was interested in these. I am not really thrilled by the general opinion though.

Unfortunately, I have not heard/tested/own any of those IEMs you want me to compare them too.  I have an updated list of all current and past under my profile:  http://www.head-fi.org/u/193679/bloodypenguin

Personally I would HIGHLY recommend the Puro IEM500, though getting your hands on one internationally could be sorta hard.

Another good one is the RBH EP-3.

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #78 of 166
Thanks for the review!

I also have the EX650, audio quality of which is good but built is awful with brass oxidation green liquid coming out of the stem!!!:))

From the ones that you mention I own and love the SE215 which is awesome in every term. Built, SQ, balance, details and punch are all unique here. You can check the SE215 thread here in head-fi and see for yourself:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/1680

Even though I have not heard the Focals I guess the Shures are more balanced overall. Mid of Shure is unique and from what I read here, Sphear is the opposite...

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #79 of 166

Unfortunately, I have not heard/tested/own any of those IEMs you want me to compare them too.  I have an updated list of all current and past under my profile:  http://www.head-fi.org/u/193679/bloodypenguin

Personally I would HIGHLY recommend the Puro IEM500, though getting your hands on one internationally could be sorta hard.

Another good one is the RBH EP-3.

Thank you so much for the response. The problem is that I live in the Netherlands. Since I use my buds rather extensively on-the-go, the cable breaks almost always within a year. Therefore I want to buy them locally so that I have easy access to warranty services. That limits my choices quite a bit and most of the IEMs are out of reach :frowning2:.

Those IEM500's look really awesome and would probably have seriously considered them otherwise.

Nov 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #80 of 166
I also have the EX650, audio quality of which is good but built is awful with brass oxidation green liquid coming out of the stem!!!:))

From the ones that you mention I own and love the SE215 which is awesome in every term. Built, SQ, balance, details and punch are all unique here. You can check the SE215 thread here in head-fi and see for yourself:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/542003/new-shure-se215-first-impressions/1680

Even though I have not heard the Focals I guess the Shures are more balanced overall. Mid of Shure is unique and from what I read here, Sphear is the opposite...

Sounds really good what you are saying! The SE215 are quite the step up from the EX650's then? We might have a winner here.

I actually like the measurements of the focal's a bit better. Its bass boost starts a bit lower and there seems to be better extension into the mid-highs. Also the impulse response looks quite a bit better. The slight drop off from 60Hz wouldn't bother me that much.

I guess the sure's safe me a few bucks and are the safe bet. Though curiosity might lead me towards the Focal's. I am thinking about it :).

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #82 of 166
Sounds really good what you are saying! The SE215 are quite the step up from the EX650's then? We might have a winner here.

I actually like the measurements of the focal's a bit better. Its bass boost starts a bit lower and there seems to be better extension into the mid-highs. Also the impulse response looks quite a bit better. The slight drop off from 60Hz wouldn't bother me that much.

I guess the sure's safe me a few bucks and are the safe bet. Though curiosity might lead me towards the Focal's. I am thinking about it :).

Without being all that knowledgeable about this matter, I dare to say that the correct action is to compare the frequency response of 2 headphones with the reference response which presents the near perfect curve. It's wrong to compare the 2 HP between them since what seems better may not be all that good or even acoustically distinguishable. So, as far as I know, the SE215 has one of the closest frequency responses to that reference response. Sphears on the other hand are further from it.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #84 of 166
The Classics?

Yes they're great. Match more obvious 'rock'open phones such as my DT990 & SR80e for this music.

An example is 'Over' as you know a very varied and great Hammill. Handle everything from the proto punk aggressive of the opener to the unbelievablely beautiful tender Side of the Looking Glass with equal aplomb. This album also contains Lost & Found a severe test of bass and shows the Focal to have fantastic bass. Terrific impact zero distortion. Head pummelling (as only this song can) if required. Just sounds correct.

So did you try Fools Mate.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #86 of 166

So did you try Fools Mate.

Well its a obviously a great album but well down my list of favourites, not dark and strange enough for me ?!! a little bit too 'poppy' 

But I suppose you mean in terms of sibilance (which I consider only vocals) with the Spirit Classic ? (NOTE this must seem an odd place to be discussing this subject; a thread dedicated to the Focal Sphere!)

There is definately sibilance there but nothing too irksome. Just a little emphasis and sharpness too Hammill's esses.

To give some comparison I listened to Imperial Zeppelin with some of my other phones

Grado SR80e (the new refined 'e' generation) suprisingly handled this just as well as the Focals. They're a revelation

Both my Beyers and my HD25 unsuprisingly showed a little more sibilance but not too bad. DT440 best of these

The Musical Fidelity MF100 was unlistenable; cross between breaking glass and finger nails down a black board!

The Musical Fidelity EB50 earphone on the other hand was easily best of all with virtually zero sibilance. Only the Sennheiser MX980 earbud I used to have showed similar refinement
Hard to believe the same company (MF) produced this perfection and one of the most disappointing headphones I've bought.

By the way if you really want to hear sibilance at its very worst listen to 'Fugitive Motel' by Elbow. Guy Garvey certainly can torture your ears like no one else!

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #87 of 166
Back on the subject of the Spheres it seems Jude Mansella is a bit of fan. May become more popular now

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #88 of 166
  Back on the subject of the Spheres it seems Jude Mansella is a bit of fan. May become more popular now

Not sure his review shows he is a fan, more saying that they have a bassy "fun" signature.  He seems to hear them almost the same as I do (which was a relief).  

They are not bad earphones, but they are far from an audiophile level IMO.  Seems to be tuned for the masses and not Head-Fiers. 

--

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #89 of 166
Not sure his review shows he is a fan, more saying that they have a bassy "fun" signature.  He seems to hear them almost the same as I do (which was a relief).  

They are not bad earphones, but they are far from an audiophile level IMO.  Seems to be tuned for the masses and not Head-Fiers. 

--
The masses bring more noney, than a selective group of self declared audiophiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back