Focal Sphear earphones
Dec 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #91 of 166
Originally Posted by BloodyPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep and that can be summed up on one word:  Beats.

I have two sets of Beats earphones. The Sphear does not, to my ears, sound anything like either of them.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #92 of 166

I have two sets of Beats earphones. The Sphear does not, to my ears, sound anything like either of them.

Oh, I was not saying that they sounded like Beats, but that Beats was a mainstream sound signature.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #93 of 166

Oh, I was not saying that they sounded like Beats, but that Beats was a mainstream sound signature.

I know. I've been reading (and have been a fan of) your posts and reviews for a long time, and know where you're coming from. I just wanted to make clear to everyone else, in case there was confusion from the statement, that Sphear does not equal Beats.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #94 of 166

I know. I've been reading (and have been a fan of) your posts and reviews for a long time, and know where you're coming from. I just wanted to make clear to everyone else, in case there was confusion from the statement, that Sphear does not equal Beats.

I appreciate your kind words, I really do try my best to be has helpful as possible on the forums with my posts and reviews.  

I also don't want there to be any confusion either about the Sphear.  Thanks for clearing that up.  
cool.gif

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #95 of 166
I think there's a trend towards a new "audiophile" signature starting with companies beginning to realise that bass is an important part of the musical experience. I actually think the Sphears and the Spirit One S are a step in the right direction for audiophiles (along with the HD800S and Audioquest Nighthawk for some other examples). There is still a fair bit of debate around what sounds 'right', but I think bass is gradually becoming a more accepted component of the overall musical picture (i.e. its presence in the signature of headphones and earphones is being raised).

Personally I am a fan of this approach and I think there is a sweet spot between the 'Beats' sound and the current 'audiophile' sound where we can enjoy both hi-end clarity and detail, but also musicality and emotion.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #96 of 166

I guess you have not checked any of Beats Solo2 threads here in Head-fi. If you read any of these you will see that Solo2 is a very good and accurate headphone described mainly as bass audiophile. It represents a top SQ balance among frequencies and it has nothing to do with previous Beats headphones...

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #98 of 166
I guess you have not checked any of Beats Solo2 threads here in Head-fi. If you read any of these you will see that Solo2 is a very good and accurate headphone described mainly as bass audiophile. It represents a top SQ balance among frequencies and it has nothing to do with previous Beats headphones...

Read my previous post (emphasis added):

The Sphear is an in-ear.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #101 of 166
which two do you have jude and do you think you can share some of your insight and comparison between those aforementioned and the sphear?

Tom22, it would be wrong to compare HP with in ear. Sound signatures are different. You can check the threads in head-fi reviewing the Solo2 which is the latest of Beats HP lines, to see for yourself that they got very positive opinions.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #102 of 166
 Well its a obviously a great album but well down my list of favourites, not dark and strange enough for me ?!! a little bit too 'poppy' 

But I suppose you mean in terms of sibilance (which I consider only vocals) with the Spirit Classic ? (NOTE this must seem an odd place to be discussing this subject; a thread dedicated to the Focal Sphere.

Thans godbluff , I was actually interested in the Sphere as I OWN the classic and like its soundsignature but not the way it compresses my ears.
So of the Sphere is comparable in regard to silky treble I might try them.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #103 of 166
Tom22, it would be wrong to compare HP with in ear. Sound signatures are different. You can check the threads in head-fi reviewing the Solo2 which is the latest of Beats HP lines, to see for yourself that they got very positive opinions.

Jude mention he has two beats earphones. He didnt mention the solo2

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #104 of 166
Sorry to bring this post up again, but I'm looking into IEM's and recently came across the Focal Sphears. At first I was set on buying the B&W C5 s2, but now having second thoughts, should I make the switch or stick with B&W?

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #105 of 166
Sorry to bring this post up again, but I'm looking into IEM's and recently came across the Focal Sphears. At first I was set on buying the B&W C5 s2, but now having second thoughts, should I make the switch or stick with B&WsdnepeD​

Depends on your budget, there are so many choiches in the 100-200 Euro price bracket, and I guess differences are minimal in sheer quality, it also depends which kind of sound you prefere. I have several in ears but listen mostly to my Sennheiser IE80, because I like a good bass fundament and wide open space.
There are new in ears from Beyerdynamic iDX 200 iE and AKG N20, also in this price range, the longer you wait the more choices you get, and the more difficult to decide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back