Focal Sphear earphones
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 166
I was intrigued with the Focal announcement, so I was pleased to see this thread started. This is the article I read which got me interested:

http://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-unique-headphones-wired-earphones-that-really-impress/322524111/

But I must tell you I am a bit wary. I bought my son the Sennheiser Momentum (over ear) for Christmas last year, then tried out the Momentum IEM, with the purpose of owning them. However I found the sound signatures were completely different and neither my son nor I were impressed. I guess, what I am trying to say is that the signature may be different than other Focal products. But in this case, I hope not. I want these to be fantastic and I hope BloodyPenguins first impressions are drastically different after burn in.

In fact, I just got a pair of Westone W30's to replace my failed Westone 3 Gold, and I was horrified at my first listen out of the box. However, after 20 hours of burn in time, they settled down tremendously. I am hoping the post-burn-in SPHEARs are the same.

Aug 25, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #32 of 166
Been spending a lot of time with the Sphear.  I am doing my best to will them into sounding better.  Really not working much so far.

They might have gotten just slightly better over time, but not much.  Still very messy sounding.  I feel like the drivers themselves are strong and pure, but something is up with tuning.

Plus, I can't see how these would ever be comfortable to the masses.  They are just Huge, Round IEMs.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 166
  Been spending a lot of time with the Sphear.  I am doing my best to will them into sounding better.  Really not working much so far.

They might have gotten just slightly better over time, but not much.  Still very messy sounding.  I feel like the drivers themselves are strong and pure, but something is up with tuning.

Plus, I can't see how these would ever be comfortable to the masses.  They are just Huge, Round IEMs.

Do you think it could a problem with that pair?  Or is it the sound signature period?  Of course, comfort would never change, unless your burn in included melting them to a smaller shape...haha.

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 166
  Do you think it could a problem with that pair?  Or is it the sound signature period?  Of course, comfort would never change, unless your burn in included melting them to a smaller shape...haha.

My guess is it is just how they sound, but it could be just my pair.  Not getting any better over time.

And yes, they are still not that comfortable.  I should try melting them.  It might help the sound signature and fit.  
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #35 of 166
What hifi gave them 5 stars. Well ahead of RHA s500 3 star thats getting allot more coverage on here.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #36 of 166
If I wasn't still so completely satisfied with my Musical Fidelity EB50s I'd be getting a pair.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #38 of 166
Oct 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #41 of 166
I'm trying to find a US source for these. Any ideas? I have Focal speakers in my HT/music setup, so I like their stuff. I also wonder how they get fantastic reviews everywhere but here.
Focal is only a name, only their very exepensive lines are made in France, headphones in China. Not sure about the enginering either as in ear technology is mostly from Asia, exept for the very very expensive units

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #42 of 166
  I'm trying to find a US source for these. Any ideas? I have Focal speakers in my HT/music setup, so I like their stuff. I also wonder how they get fantastic reviews everywhere but here.

It depends on the site.  Much of the time reviews are just paid advertising in disguise.  You have to examine the moral stance of the site posting the review.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #43 of 166
Summary of that What HiFi review

'Wonderfully subtle, balanced and weighty sound, Rich bass, clear with vocals, classy, comfortable and secure." 

Could just as easily be describing full size Spirit Classic. Sounds like its pure Focal regardless of place of manufacture; in much the same way as my EB50s are pure Musical Fidelity in sound. Should be a a major contender but unfortunately not a trendy name on here.

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #44 of 166
Summary of that What HiFi review

'Wonderfully subtle, balanced and weighty sound, Rich bass, clear with vocals, classy, comfortable and secure." 

Could just as easily be describing full size Spirit Classic. Sounds like its pure Focal regardless of place of manufacture; in much the same way as my EB50s are pure Musical Fidelity in sound. Should be a a major contender but unfortunately not a trendy name on here.
In Germany the EB50s are experienced by reviewers as having a thin sound, good for classic and acoustic jazz, not for rock and beyond

Oct 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 166
In Germany the EB50s are experienced by reviewers as having a thin sound, good for classic and acoustic jazz, not for rock and beyond

Depends on the seal maybe like the Focal? Get a good fit and there's nothing 'thin' about the sound. Just crystal clear and very neutral but not in the least bit dull. Excellent bass for a single BA. Questions the need for multi BA. Progressive Rock as we both like sounds as good as classical and jazz. Very much like the Focal Spirit albeit less warm. I'm not into genre specific headphones. The MFs like Focals have had great reviews from most British hifi press but polarizing some don't like them.

EDIT Maybe an acquired taste; I have 2 pairs ! hence not buying these Focals just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back