Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Jan 24, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #77 of 226
I'm a relative noob here, lurking in the shadows, reading the great reviews provided here.
I am in the market to upgrade from my present headphones,and I would like to spend less than 300 bucks for a great sounding, balanced signature, pair of closed headphones. These are frontrunners in my opinion. I couldn't see any way to subscribe to this thread (on my phone) without posting a reply. So here it is. Thanks for the great feedback you guys.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #78 of 226
I'm a relative noob here, lurking in the shadows, reading the great reviews provided here.
I am in the market to upgrade from my present headphones,and I would like to spend less than 300 bucks for a great sounding, balanced signature, pair of closed headphones. These are frontrunners in my opinion. I couldn't see any way to subscribe to this thread (on my phone) without posting a reply. So here it is. Thanks for the great feedback you guys.

I highly recommend the Focal Listens.

This is coming from someone who also has the Focal Utopias and other TOTL flagships.

They represent some of the best value, are are a clear improvement over the original Spirit line.

I also have the HD6xx right next to them.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #79 of 226
I was waiting to see if massdrop would run another drop of those 6xx's,but I do alot of listening while my significant other watches tv,so closed headphones it is. Appreciate your vote of confidence on the focals!

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #80 of 226

I highly recommend the Focal Listens.

This is coming from someone who also has the Focal Utopias and other TOTL flagships.

They represent some of the best value, are are a clear improvement over the original Spirit line.

I also have the HD6xx right next to them.

I share your enthusiasm. I loved them so much that I got a second set. I cannot hear a single problem or misstep.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #83 of 226
Has anyone swapped the pads on these? I find my ears getting warm wearing them.

Good question.

Just some general observations on the Listen.

I just got mine a few hours ago and I am surprised how small the ear pads are and the very limited headband adjustment.

I reckon that I have an average ear size and an average head size but I have the headband extended to its limit.

I would rate the Listen as borderline on-ear/ over-ear as the pads small inner aperture means that pads rests on the earlobe.

They seem to be designed for on the go use and to be as compact as possible for storage so they won't appeal to everyone.

Out of the box - I agree that there is something special about the mid-range but they will need a few days burn-in before seeing how they fare overall.   

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #85 of 226
Let them play, highs will become much more smooth.

I have tried leather pads from hm5, comfort is definitely better but sound is worse, much thinner with less bass.

I was going to try the sheep leather hm5 pads at some stage - it is good to hear that you have tried it, were they a bit loose on the Listen?

I take it that using thicker pads that push the driver further away from the ear messes up the tuning of the Listen.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #86 of 226

I was going to try the sheep leather hm5 pads at some stage - it is good to hear that you have tried it, were they a bit loose on the Listen?

Yes, but they must be brand new to use with Listnes, if you put them on other headphones (and stretch them) than probably they won't fit Listens anymore.

Quote:
 I take it that using thicker pads that push the driver further away from the ear messes up the tuning of the Listen.

I think that's true.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #87 of 226
  I think that's true.

Thanks again for your reply and I am sure it will be helpful to others.

The sound has improved with about 18 hours burn-in but the biggest issue I have is comfort as I find the pads too small and headband too tight and even the headband cushion is quite firm as it seems to be made of some neoprene rubber which is stiff and durable but totally lacks any cushioning.

Overall I am quite disappointed by the design regardless of the SQ so I wanted to let others know who might be expecting comfortable headphones.  

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #88 of 226

Thanks again for your reply and I am sure it will be helpful to others.

The sound has improved with about 18 hours burn-in but the biggest issue I have is comfort as I find the pads too small and headband too tight and even the headband cushion is quite firm as it seems to be made of some neoprene rubber which is stiff and durable but totally lacks any cushioning.

Overall I am quite disappointed by the design regardless of the SQ so I wanted to let others know who might be expecting comfortable headphones.  

Use my method and leave it for several nights :D

Pads also becomes softer after some time of use, but I agree, Listens aren't most comfortable cans.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #89 of 226

Use my method and leave it for several nights :D

Pads also becomes softer after some time of use, but I agree, Listens aren't most comfortable cans.

Thanks - it is not the clamping force that is the issue but the pressure from the headband on the top of the head as well as the squashed ears.

I asked my wife to try it on and she immediately mentioned the pressure on the top of her head and after a minute she wanted to take it off as she reckoned that it would give her a headache. ( I also find it very irritating)

I really think that Focal have scored an own goal on what could have been a very successful mass appeal product for them.

It has been my first Focal headphone experience having been familiar with their car speakers.

I wonder what new full size closed headphones offerings that Focal have now or in the near future? 

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #90 of 226
Thanks - it is not the clamping force that is the issue but the pressure from the headband on the top of the head as well as the squashed ears.

I asked my wife to try it on and she immediately mentioned the pressure on the top of her head and after a minute she wanted to take it off as she reckoned that it would give her a headache. ( I also find it very irritating)

I really think that Focal have scored an own goal on what could have been a very successful mass appeal product for them.

It has been my first Focal headphone experience having been familiar with their car speakers.

I wonder what new full size closed headphones offerings that Focal have now or in the near future? 

I always used these:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Wolle-Ohrpolster-Stirnband-Bugelpolster-Fur-Akg-K701-K702-Q701Kopfhorer-Blau-/401251888811?hash=item5d6c79eeab:g:k~EAAOSwUKxYZ8Q8

They don't look that appealing, but they always added enough plush to make even fhe most uncomfortable headbands comfortable, including the listen, maybe this will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back