Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #61 of 226
  Owned the MT220, so from memory, the bass is a lot stronger on the MT220 but it is more floppy as opposed to the pretty tight bass on the Focal Listen. The highs were, to me, on both headphones too much but they were a bit peaky in the MT220 and pretty even on the Focal Listen... YMMV. : )

Thanks! do you think the Listen emphasize vocals more than the MT220 and are overall worth the upgrade?

Funnily, I don't find the highs too peaky on the 220 but I have heard one guy who thinks that it is toned down on the new Yam M8  

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #62 of 226
Thanks! do you think the Listen emphasize vocals more than the MT220 and are overall worth the upgrade?

Funnily, I don't find the highs too peaky on the 220 but I have heard one guy who thinks that it is toned down on the new Yam M8  

Yes, the Listen do emphasize the vocals and mids more while the mt220 is a bit V-shaped. :)

Jan 21, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #63 of 226
Has anyone found a decent aftermarket cable for these? The locking mechanism looks similar to the Sennheiser Momentum's. I have a Sennheiser hd598cs, and its cable doesn't fit.

So, if anyone here has a Momentum, please let me know if that cable works. I imagine it'll be easier to track down a long Momentum cable.

IIRC the Momentum uses a 2.5mm connector. If so then the Momentum able won't work.

I found this cable on Ebay and it's been a solid choice for mobile use.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310980823523?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=610279744867&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been using it on the go regularly for the past month or so without issue. It provides a snug fit at the headphone input jack. I can't speak to its long-term reliability but my son has been using the same cable (with a 2.5mm connector at the headphone side of the cable) for the better part of the year and his has held up very well - looks and works like a new cabled. Additionally, neither my son and I haven't noted any sound quality issues with it. I'd have no issues using one of these cables to run the Listen on my home system (at a different length anyway - offered in the above posted auction there are five lengths available from 1.2m to 3m priced from $12.30 to $18.00 shipped.

Note: this cable does not have a remote or mic.

If a dedicated home use cable is what you're looking for then Focal's 10' cable included with the Spirit Classic (and I assume the other Spirit headphones) is a perfect fit. It doesn't lock in place at the headphone it provides a solid snug fit at the headphone. The only downside is the price - $90 :-O. Still, it's just exactly what I wanted for home use. This cable is only available through a Focal dealer AFAIK.

Hope this helps!

Jan 23, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #65 of 226
I broke my beloved ATH AD900x, thinking of these or the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, any thoughts on either? I have Focals in my Tundra and I really like them.

I haven't heard the ATH-R70X, but coming from another open-backed headphone, the bigger question is whether you need the isolation. As a rule, you get better bang-for-the buck with open headphones.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #66 of 226
I broke my beloved ATH AD900x, thinking of these or the Audio Technica ATH-R70X, any thoughts on either? I have Focals in my Tundra and I really like them.

Quite different sounding cans. Much more bass in R70X, thicker mids, smooth highs and bigger soundstage (open back).
Focals have better attack, punch, more subbass, more detail and cleaner highs. I think Listen are best $500 closed cans I have tried.

I like them both. They are great cans for different applications. ATH are much more comfortable to wear of course.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #68 of 226
Quite different sounding cans. Much more bass in R70X, thicker mids, smooth highs and bigger soundstage (open back).
Focals have better attack, punch, more subbass, more detail and cleaner highs. I think Listen are best $500 closed cans I have tried.

I like them both. They are great cans for different applications. ATH are much more comfortable to wear of course.

I agree with your impressions of the Listen. However, I don't know if it's "better" than the Oppo PM-3 or Audeze Sine (they're all very, very good), but the Listen is my favorite. And it's the cheapest by $150 to boot.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #69 of 226
IMO Listen are much better than SIne. Audeze have better bass texture as they are planars, but for me they sound dry and something is just not OK with it highs. I found them too fatigue. Dont know PM3, but I think they are much darker than Focals.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #70 of 226
  IMO Listen are much better than SIne. Audeze have better bass texture as they are planars, but for me they sound dry and something is just not OK with it highs. I found them too fatigue. Dont know PM3, but I think they are much darker than Focals.

I should have a pair this week and will give my opinion also.

Have you had much burn-in time on them yet and do you like the mid-range on them like others have mentioned?

What are you pairing with them?

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #71 of 226
You asking about Listens? I have them for 3 months now, I think i have easliy passed 200h+ already.

Yes, mids is quite special, its not thin or thick, Its very detailed and super-clean, I would say "fresh" but fluid at the same time with some warmth. Im pairing them with iPod Touch 5G and Mojo. I think they plays best from a neutral & little warm source like Chord.

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #72 of 226
  You asking about Listens? I have them for 3 months now, I think i have easliy passed 200h+ already.

Yes, mids is quite special, its not thin or thick, Its very detailed and super-clean, I would say "fresh" but fluid at the same time with some warmth. Im pairing them with iPod Touch 5G and Mojo. I think they plays best from a neutral & little warm source like Chord.

Yes I was talking about the Listen.

When you said  " Audeze Sine have better bass texture as they are planars, but for me they sound dry and something is just not OK with it highs. I found them too fatigue."

Were you talking about the Audeze  causing fatigue as I was a bit confused what you were referring to?

I now take it that you like the Listen and are happy with them. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #73 of 226
" Audeze Sine have better bass texture as they are planars, but for me they sound dry and something is just not OK with it highs. I found them too fatigue."

Yes, this was about Sine. :)

You bet im happy with Listens, I paid $140 for them! :D

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #74 of 226
  " Audeze Sine have better bass texture as they are planars, but for me they sound dry and something is just not OK with it highs. I found them too fatigue."

Yes, this was about Sine. :)

You bet im happy with Listens, I paid $140 for them! :D

Good to hear that - thanks for the info!

I was concerned that you did not like the Listen as the Elear seem to be having mixed views.

I paid £180 UK for mine - you got a great price on yours.

If they are really good we need to spread the word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back