Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #151 of 226
  The Classic Headband was breaking.

They fixed the issue with Listen. You can twist Listen's Headband. The material is so flexible that you can grab one side of Listen and remove it from your head without fearing it will break.

Can't say the same regarding my more expensive HeadPhone,,,

https://youtu.be/KJY_ASY8nQY?t=1m30s seem quite durable

bought them for 108eur, need to pick up tomorrow

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #153 of 226
my other headphones are beyer dt990 so my expectations for comfort and build are quite high, and im quite resistant to higher end of frequency range. im running both headphones unamped, dt from mid class motherboard and listen from work pc.

Build seems really solid, people looking for solid headphones below 200$ should look at these. they seem durable and well built. Clamp is quite strong so people should be careful though it does bring good isolation and should keep on your head even doing sports. wire is nice, though its short and has mic and control thing in it. if anybody from focal reads this - ADD FFN 2m SIMPLE WIRE ALONG WITH THAT MOBILE WIRE

they are comfortable as long as you have medium or small head/ears, for large ears cups might be too small - they are a bit wider and shorter than sennheiser hd419, but are quite deep and have memory foam. the cups move in all directions, they are fastened to headband like I=C where I is headband, = is a thing that rotates a bit, and moves in all directions and C is cup, so you should be able to get seal. i have medium ears and glasses and still they seal well. though cups should be larger, now if they ad height of beyer cups i would ruin my pants cause of comfort, but its ok now. when i got them i wore them all day for 2 days in a row, clamp was and issue(it gets better with stretching/wear), but comfort was decent, they got warm, but nothing extreme. could use ability to fold flat like m50, but that would probably affect durability

i have some 30~40 hours on them so they might still change their sound a bit, but from other reviews they seem to get better

listen sound have something magic about it - its smooth, rich and intimate but im not used to describing sound so i cant tell what it is exactly, seems to be excellent for some music - like old music from fallout games, Sinatra etc., but not well suited for movies and music that calls for epic scale or wide, epic feeling or roughness(like some metal genres) - it seems to lack breath compared to dt990, it might be too smooth for some music that calls for some grain. dt990 is open and so it might be because of listens being closed, i cant do a to b comparison as i have dt990 at home and listens at work.

i quite like them as addition to dt990 as they compliment each other nicely compensating for others weakness

bass - nice, punchy, not overpowering, i would say it goes deeper than dt990, but is a bit below in mid bass, they are not a basshead headphones

mids - much closer and better, lacks feeling of breath though, cant explain it better - you hear the sound, but dont feel the artist breathing, its a bit of a problem on movies when spoken text feels a bit lifeless

treble - it seems to have some spike somewhere, cymbals sometimes seem sibilant and a bit too loud, but its quite narrow spike, else its nice, not overpowering and not tiring(i use dt990 without eq so be careful if you are treble sensitive)

TL;DR
overall i love them, while they might not be universal and lack for some music, if it fits your music they are epic, certainly worth considering for anybody looking for closed headphones below 200$. especially since they offer something no other headphone in this price category offers - decent comfort, easy to drive, sounds great, good isolation and solid, durable build, all other headphones seem to lack at least one of these.

i would give them 4.5/5 stars taking points away for cups that might be bigger and lack of normal cable without mic and controls. for sound i would like feeling breath on spoken text(i cant describe it better - it feels nice, but you dont feel as if the person talking is creating it by breathing out, you dont hear the air, hard to describe it), its mostly an issue with movies where speech feels a bit artificial, else its great, for 200EUR, for 108 they are a worthy buy, if nothing else then as great mobile headphones

hope this makes sense as english is my 2nd language and ive had a few beers

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #154 of 226
Update from a month of use. Some more things I notice now.

Never really brought them out of the house.

The aluminum finishing of the housing seems to be quite prone to marks and scratches. I have to keep the cable in a ziploc bag if I want to store the cable with the carrying case. I have gotten a mark on the housing from presumably the cable when I was too lazy to put the cable put into a ziploc bag. The carrying case is still not very inspiring. It's a nice and compact bag, but it offers no impact protection.

The headphone overall feels pretty durable although I'm not a fan of the material choices for the headband cushion and construction. Hard plastic doesn't offer too much confidence for me and presumably "cushy" rubber headband feel a bit weird. I have a knitted headband that I keep on them, and that solved my problem of the weird headband. I have mixed feelings about it; it's not necessarily fragile, but not necessarily the most confidence inducing. A weak point may be where the headband connects to the housings. They feel a bit bulky on the head. Earpads get a bit warm after about 20 mins of usage, and I could imagine them to be very uncomfortable in warmer weather. 

Still bummed about them coming with only one cable, but seems to be easily replaced with a 3.5mm cable as long as the sheath is not too fat. Didn't realize the circular bit on the cable was used to control the play/pause/next/last features on a phone until I tried playing with it one day. I think it's pretty neat though volume controls would have been great. I like the cable for mobile uses. 

Sound:
I still very much like the tuning on these headphones. Slightly warm tuning though leaning more towards the brighter side of things. Bass seems to be a bit uneven like in the song "Yours Truly (Jikes Remix)" around the 54 second mark. One second it sounds powerful and the next it sounds a bit thinner.  Otherwise, I think they sound tight and punchy. I don't find myself wanting to turn up the bass, but I can definitely see why some might find it a bit "anemic" compared to other portable over-ear offerings like the M2 or M-100.

Vocals sound clear. Instruments don't sound like they're being compressed together with the vocals. I think this gives a fairly nice sense of space especially for a closed back. I remember the M-100 sounding fairly wide, but that was just it. I don't remember instruments having a good "awareness" of space. Imaging may be the word I'm looking for.  Like I've mentioned in my first impressions, vocals don't feel necessarily emphasized, but I feel that they definitely are the highlight of these headphones. Vocals just sound natural and a bit breathy to boot. I still think vocals sound neutral on these.

I like to listen at fairly high volumes, but with these I would have to tone it down a bit. It sometimes sound a bit sibilant. I have somewhat mixed feelings about the treble. I'll say first off that I love brighter headphones, and I think these fit into the "brighter" category for me BUT sometimes they feel a bit too smooth with certain songs. It's weird because I mentioned the sibilance, I know, but I think this is because I had a lot of time with the T1's and these just sound duller in comparison. Overall though, still articulate and enough energy for them to not sound completely dull. I think it's a bit like the HD600, but with slight treble boost. I still think it's very good. I heard a lot worse and very few better treble responses.

I think these have good separation of instruments. I don't have a sense of congestion in instruments. Even so, these are not wide sounding. if I had to have a phrase for what I would describe this, it would be "closed but not congested".

Isolation is pretty damn great. I can barely hear myself talk at moderately high volumes. As a reference for volume, right now I have them plugged into my Gustard H10 with 0 gain, and I'm at 9:30-10. According to a cheap digital sound level meter, it's around 80db. I'm not sure how accurate that is, as I would assume that the sound being trapped inside the earpad would have an increase in volume. Since it's not enclosing the sound meter, I'm thinking that it's not totally accurate. If anyone could chime in on that, that would be great.

As I've mentioned, this is my favorite portable over-ear by far. I've tried a number but I haven't tried all. Some that I haven't tried include the PM-3 and the Sine. Well worth the $249 asking price if you ask me. Absolute steal under $200.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #155 of 226
Did anyone find a compatible replacement cable? I wanted to get a longer cable (say 10ft/3m) for at home listening.

Hey Buddy-

I'm glad you're happy with these. I'm thinking about getting them again because they're so good.

I have standard 3.5mm slim profile Anker and Monoprice cables that worked great, just insert them. They avoid the whole locking mechanism altogether.

If anyone wants to move theirs, let me know.

Also, has anyone had any luck replacing the pads?

May 2, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #157 of 226
I find the treble a bit too much on these so I'm going to try and mod them, will put toilet paper or something on top of the center hole..

May 7, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #158 of 226
Yes they are on bright side but highs are neither harsh nor grainy and no sibilance so no fatigue at all (seemed quite harsh out of the box though). I was always wanting for something as transparent and detailed as DT880 or AD700 (have both) but with more bass quantity and finally got these, quite enjoing. A bit brighter than M50 with overall similiar sound, just what I was looking for. Better vocals (more presense, body and warmth compared to above mentioned open types) are quite pleasant bonus. Wearing comfort could be improved but I can live with it considering the sound quality. Will try to find alternative pads though.

After 150 hours of burn-in have tried the bass mod suggested by wi110. I am sorry but I have to admit it does not work to me at all. At first comparing Listens to some IEMs I have (my current favorite Ocharaku Co-Donguri among them) I have also noticed the bass is kinda gone on some acoustic tracks but listening carefully I found it just gets more clean. After the mod bass was increased quite marginally in quantity but it seems to me it just gets some higher harmonics (not saying dirt) so bass parts sounded more noticeble and appealing on some track thats all. But the price is quite high as almost magical refinement in midrange has gone and some cheap cans boxiness appeared. I suspect Focal engineers put these foam dampers intentionally :) as an acoustic crossover to block unwanted resonances and harmonics coming from mylar part of diaphragm leaving mids and highs to the central metal cone only... Luckily dampers have sticked back quite easily.

My sources are X3II, Schiit Fulla and Alcatel Idol 3 phone (AK4375 DAC w/integrated buffer), two latters are quite similiar sonically btw, the phone's lean buffer is capable of driving Listens quite easily just like IEMs (as opposite to DT880 where volume needs to be rised all the way).

This is my first post here, I decided that such good cans (especially for the price, got them for $160 in Russia) just deserve more attention. Thanks to previos posters :beerchug: as they make me decide on these and I quite satisfied with the choice.
Sorry for my English )

Last edited:
May 9, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #159 of 226
Has anyone here successfully reduced the clamping force without breaking the headband? I want to stretch it, but I'm very concerned about the headband's durability.

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #160 of 226
It loosened up a bit after a few months for me, I really like these cans.
As far as travel phones go I haven't found a better combination of sound quality, passive noise cancelling and durability.
Had them six months now and still look new.
I heard the spirit range recently and the listen is for me a much better sounding headphone.
Elear is on my list now.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #161 of 226
New Focal Listen wireless announced today.
Curious to how they will compare to the B&W P7Wireless

Jul 1, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #163 of 226
Thinking about picking up the soon to be released Listen wireless. Assuming they are similar in SQ than the wired one??
How's the soundstage/imaging on these? Not expecting a HD800, but some soundstage and a precise imaging is a must for me.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #164 of 226
I got rid of Focal Listens, they sound like a dogs ass. I feel as if my ears have been raped with wonky frequency onslaught.. I tried everything to like them thinking they're Focal Spirit Pro successor, but they're just not made from the same magic dust. just get the Focal Spirit Pros and forget about these.. oh yeah, Focal fixed the cracking headband malfunction with the Pros in their newer batches, so if you get a new one it shouldn't be a prob

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #165 of 226
Thinking about picking up the soon to be released Listen wireless. Assuming they are similar in SQ than the wired one??
How's the soundstage/imaging on these? Not expecting a HD800, but some soundstage and a precise imaging is a must for me.
I'd say the imaging is fairly good. Good separation of instruments. I think due to a brighter tuning, these seem to give you a feeling of a somewhat wide stage. Say like a "bubble around your head" kind of experience.

I got rid of Focal Listens, they sound like a dogs ass. I feel as if my ears have been raped with wonky frequency onslaught.. I tried everything to like them thinking they're Focal Spirit Pro successor, but they're just not made from the same magic dust. just get the Focal Spirit Pros and forget about these.. oh yeah, Focal fixed the cracking headband malfunction with the Pros in their newer batches, so if you get a new one it shouldn't be a prob

Where did you get yours? I haven't heard the Focal Spirit Pro, but I don't think the Listen's sound that bad. Measurements don't seem to be all that wonky either. In fact, I'd say they're fairly good: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalListen.pdf

I've owned a number of portable headphones (MSR7, M-100, Momentum M2, AH-MM400, and Amperiors to name a few) and did not like them as much as the Listens. The possible exception is the PM3 in technicalities, but I've only heard it very briefly at a meet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back