Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Nov 22, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #181 of 226
A local electronics market upped their focal game and had the Elear, Listen and Listen Wireless out. I could only listen to the listen though. I liked it. But would prefer the Wireless version. Anyone know if the wireless version sounds the same as non wireless? at least in passive wired mode?

I always fear that the additional electronics in the cup messed up the acoustics.

Nov 22, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #182 of 226
I am not attempting to thread spam. This headphone just seems to not be getting much love. My Focal Listen probably has 25 hours use on it by now. Indeed, it sounds great once it has an EQ put to it. I have my EQ set for this headphone, and it really does make it sound far better than stock. I highly suggest for anyone to give it a try. I think you will be impressed.

100Hz: + 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
300Hz: - 1
3kHz: + 0.5
4kHz: + 0.5
6kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
8.5kHz: - 1
9kHz: - 2
9.5kHz: - 1
10kHz: - 1

The EQ has been slightly updated. After many hours of use, the middle treble has actually calmed down a little bit now from how it was out of the box. After some careful listening, I have updated the EQ again. 8kHz has been changed to - 0.5 from the original - 1, and 8.5kHz has been changed to - 1 from the original - 1.5, and 9.5kHz has been changed to -1 from the original - 1.5. Other than that, everything else is the same. I suggest for anyone to try my EQ. It really does make this headphone sound great.

I am very happy with mine too, especially coming straight out of my iPod. I just can’t get as technical on my descriptions. I tested the Elears at the same time and preferred Listens. I can get about 3 hours listening before I find them uncomfortable. They do not get any use with the main system due to the short cord, but that is not what I bought them for.

Nov 24, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #184 of 226
I should mention that it will feel like the HD280 headband pad will not fit around the Focal Listen, but it does. All you need to do is stretch it out just a little bit. After that, it fits no problem. We are not about talking massive stretching either.

Dec 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #185 of 226
Focal has really been tearing it up past few years with their open-back cans. Think Focal can make a better over-ear closed-back headphone - by which I mean more comfortable headband, fit for larger ears and really good isolation. Wired headphones rule for listening to our high resolution files. No need for wireless. Really good sounding, really good isolating headphones under $500 that are comfortable and fit larger ears are next to impossible to find. Would pay 1-1/2 to twice price of Listens for such a headphone. Included hard shell case for travel at that price point would be nice too.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #186 of 226
I've had my Focal Listen headphones for about a year now and I'm still enjoying them as much as when I purchased them. I've been using as mobile headphones for the most part but I also use them home now and again. I also commonly use LZ-A4 in-ears when away from home. Comes down to preference of the day.

The pressure hot spot from the headband bothers me a bit after wearing them for an hour or so. I took DW75's advice and ordered a Sennheiser DT280 headband. I look forward to giving them a go with some extra padding on the Listen's headband. I'll post my observations once the headband arrives.

I haven't had an opportunity to try you EQ settings yet, DT75, but I'm looking forward it. Thanks for posting both. :)

Jan 8, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #187 of 226
I highly recommend for anyone who has this headphone to use the HD280 headband pad. It completely removes the hot spot on the top of the head. IMO, it is a must for this headphone.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #189 of 226
I actually really enjoy the sound of these after slipping a couple pieces of tissue paper under the pads, just enough to nullify the 10k peak. Warmed them up without losing too much definition up top, just took the edge off.

Isolation was the primary factor in buying these and they really deliver in that category - they actually bested my EL8C's for isolation which is impressive given the size of the cups. Good soundstage and response is pretty spot on to my ears after the "tissue mod". Definitely underrated as an affordable travel phone.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #190 of 226
You should give my EQ a try with this headphone. I think you will be impressed. It takes this headphone to the next level in sound quality.

Pre-amplifying: - 4

100Hz: + 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
300Hz: - 1
3kHz: + 0.5
4kHz: + 0.5
6kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5
8.5kHz: - 1
9kHz: - 2
9.5kHz: - 1
10kHz: - 1

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #191 of 226
Hey Head-Fiers....been awhile but I've had these since July and I just love the sound these things give. I've ran into something that's probably a bad sign...

I bought a second pair that was used in September thinking I'd save money from Amazon's "Warehouse Deals". After a few months of playing around with them I noticed the used pair sounded a bit softer than the new one. I decided to peel the donut foam filter off and found these horizontal creases on the drivers. These were not present on my new pair when I checked on that same day.

Just today I was thinking I'd compare the stock foam filter to some cheap foam you put around the Koss KSC75 earphones (it works wonders by the way evening out the harsh treble). And I found creases on the drivers on my new pair too! Was this the same issue that the predecessor Focal Spirit had? I'm pretty sure that these creases on the drivers are...not normal or good.

Update: Yeah, I found the old headphone that had this issue: https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/focal-spirit-one

Now, neither pair I have looks THAT bad.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #192 of 226
Hello ! After burning in for 50 hours, the Listens proved to be jaw-dropping, compared to Focal Spirit One S, and Focal Spirit Classic ( that I also own ). I listen to standart FLAC files on my HTC One M8s, and also on Yulong D200 via Foobar + Wasapi. Focal customer support is awesome and replaced the broken Spirit One S ( a well known defect ), and the Classics are also breaking. The store will exchange them for sure, but since I already own the Listen, I was wondering what is the next step in detail, separation and neutral sound ? I might get a pair of open headphones and save the Listens for mobile use. Maybe Grado SR325 ? When I heard the 225 in store, of course, they were not broken-in, but the sound was somehow...artificial, too digital, like if I was listening to midi-files. The sound was almost too clear, and unnatural, and I chose the Focal Spirit Classics instead. I will get my replacement from Cobra.fr so I must choose one of their offerings... I read that HD 650 are not very detailed, so maybe not ? I listen mostly Power Metal and Eurodance songs, but I think I like neutral headphones. I am after the detail and separation above everything else. I was thinking for the Shure SH1840 for use with Yulong D200 ?

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #194 of 226
For reference - the listen pros address the 12k spike of the previous model and improve on the tuning quite a bit. I still wouldn't consider them completely neutral but much closer.
Any difference in bass? Specifically regarding the dip at 100 Hz in the wired Listen?

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #195 of 226
Any difference in bass? Specifically regarding the dip at 100 Hz in the wired Listen?

I imagine these would measure closer to baseline in that range vs the originals. There does seem to be more weight and punch with less emphasis on subbass. Theyre also warmer, considerably so with the original listen pads installed. They have a similar focal tuning going on, but definitive improvement upon the shortcomings of the previous model.

I should also note the finish of the cups is much more pleasing and rugged, similar to that of the spirit pros. The original listens looked like toys to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back