Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Mar 10, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #121 of 226
  I'm looking for a headphone that has a natural, smooth timbre and the vocals as upfront as possible.

Do these provide that?

So it's neutral to begin with, then you remove the foam, there's more bass... but it's still neutral?

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #122 of 226
I just received a pair of the Listen's from a Head-Fier. 

It didn't take long for them to be my favorite portable over-ear in terms of sound and isolation. I could barely hear myself talk with music playing!

I've typed this up late at night and after a very long day. Probably not the smoothest of readings.

Likes: somewhat V-shape sound, treble articulation, punchy bass, vocal presentation, earpads, design (to an extent)
Dislikes: Bulky design, some material choices on headband (hard plastic), rubbery head cushioin (I'd imagine it's terrible for those with no hair), only one cable included, no hardshell carrying case (only soft pouch)

Other comments: I don't feel too confident in its build. Seems like it can snap around the headband or at the earcup swivels with rough uses.

I've tried a few other portables like the MSR7's, MDR-1A (at a local Best Buy), Momentum M2's, M-100, and AH-MM400. I had them all at different times because money doesn't grow on trees unfortunately.

In terms of sound, here's what I'd rank them:

Listen > AH-MM400 > MDR-1A > M-100 > Momentum M2 > MSR7

My biases: I tend to like bright headphones. I also like warm headphones that are also articulate in the treble. I usually decide whether a headphone is a keeper from its treble. If the timbre is off or it's too bright/recessed then it's a deal breaker for me.

Brief comments on each:

Listen (Own): Might still be in "New Toy" syndrome. Fairly balanced with a bit of elevated bass and treble. Even with that, vocals and guitars never sound or feel recessed. In fact, I really like the vocals on these. Hard to really explain it, but it's like they're the highlight of every song I've played on them. Never too harsh or honky nor too underpowered. Very good balance. Fairly decent instrument separation, though more of an "in-your-head" kind of experience. Headphones are the heaviest of the bunch, though still pretty comfortable.

AH-MM400 (Owned): Been a while since I heard these, so I don't remember too much (which will be the same for the rest of the headphones to be talked about). Fairly balanced, though its treble is fairly bright. A touch too bright for me especially for some electronic music. Bass was tight and punchy with a nice balance for fun but not overbearing especially with electronic music. I can't really recall what I thought about the mids on these headphones. I think it was fairly V-shaped sounding. They sound more or less like the Listen, but I think the Listen has a more easy-going listening experience. I think its isolation was above average though not even close to the Listen's (again it's been a while so I'm guessing with that). I had mixed feelings with its design. Silver bands with wooden earcups are a miss for me. The silver bands looked and felt kind of cheap.

MDR-1A (Demo'd): Warm and fun. I remember these to be quite wide sounding for a closed back. I think the bass was kind of loose, but I didn't really mind it. Very fun for songs that demanded bass. I think the treble was pretty articulate in never sounding too recessed nor too bright. The Listen's and the MM400's are a lot brighter and less bassy.  Can't really comment on mids really. Isolation was very poor. I remember hearing the sales associate talking in the background quite clearly while I my volume pretty high up (say like 70-80%). Most comfortable of the bunch by far.

M-100 (Owned): Very nice tight and punchy bass, though quite a bit too much bass emphasis for me. Everything I threw at it had a big bass-line. I think I found the mids on these to be somewhat shouty, though I can't really recall. I remember not liking how vocals sounded. If I recall correctly, I thought the treble was fairly articulate, if not, had an odd timbre. Keywords of the day being too long to remember correctly. Sounded fairly wide for a closed back, though I think slightly narrower than the MDR-1A's. Isolation is a lot better than the 1A's though. Build is probably the most inspiring of the bunch. I prefer the feel of the M2's though. Not the most comfortable though. 

M2 (Owned): Very warm with the most midrange emphasis. I like my mids. For example, I really like the mids on the AD2000X which are, to some, infamous for their vocal performance. The M2's.. Not so much. Comes off a bit honky and harsh. A little too much for my liking. I thought the bass was fairly powerful, though maybe a bit loose and slow? I didn't really like the treble presentation on these. Not articulate enough for busy passages in Punk or Electronic. Kinda sounds congested. Isolation is surprisingly not very good. With somewhat loud music, I can still hear ambient noises.
Any positives? Seems to be very durable. I think these feel the best out of the headphones here. Feels and looks very premium. I also like the small footprint they have when they fold up.

MSR7 (Owned): Very bright. Too bright for my liking. Weird because I like Audio Technica and I like bright headphones. I found vocals to be too harsh and sibilant. Bass was punchy, I guess? I didn't really like the balance on these headphones. It sounds like an upward slope. Kind of reminds me of the Grado SR225e in terms of tonality. Just a bit more punchier bass and smoother midrange towards the treble I think. Very creaky construction. Least inspiring build of the bunch here. I also did not like where the cable connected into the earcup. It shot straight down to my shoulder. Probably also the least comfortable of the bunch. All in all, not my cup of tea surprisingly.

EDIT: Added V-Moda M-100's into comparison.

Very subjective individual rankings of features:

Bass (More so quality than quality): Listen > MM400 > MDR-1A > M-100 > MSR7 > M2
Mids (I tend to mash this up with vocals/guitars): Listen > MM400 > MDR-1A > M2 > M-100 > MSR7
Treble (I've considered articulation, timbre, and brightness): Listen > MDR-1A > MM400 > MSR7 > M-100 > M2
Soundstage (Width and depth taken in consideration):  MDR-1A > M-100 > MM400 > MSR7 > Listen > M2
Comfort: MDR-1A > M2 > MM400 > Listen > MSR7 > M-100 (stock pads)
Isolation: Listen > MM400 > MSR7 > M-100 > M2 > MDR-1A
Build (Feel and materials used): M-100 > M2 > MDR-1A > Listen > MM400 > MSR7 
Design/Detailing: MDR-1A > M2 > M-100 > Listen > MM400 > MSR7 (l understand it looks like the MDR-1A, but it just looks like a knock-off of the MDR-1A, if the MDR-1A/1R have never existed it might've been different; may I remind you that I like Audio Technica products)

Overall satisfaction: Listen > MDR-1A > MM400 > M2 > M-100 > MSR7

Again, my thoughts should not be the end-all be-all in deciding between these. My nitpicks for each headphone might not even be a problem with another person. I might not be appreciating the same things that another person appreciated.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #123 of 226
  I just received a pair of the Listen's from a Head-Fier. 

It didn't take long for them to be my favorite portable over-ear in terms of sound and isolation. I could barely hear myself talk with music playing!

I've typed this up late at night and after a very long day. Probably not the smoothest of readings.

Likes: somewhat V-shape sound, treble articulation, punchy bass, vocal presentation, earpads, design (to an extent)
Dislikes: Bulky design, some material choices on headband (hard plastic), rubbery head cushioin (I'd imagine it's terrible for those with no hair), only one cable included, no hardshell carrying case (only soft pouch)

Other comments: I don't feel too confident in its build. Seems like it can snap around the headband or at the earcup swivels with rough uses.

I've tried a few other portables like the MSR7's, MDR-1A (at a local Best Buy), Momentum M2's, M-100, and AH-MM400. I had them all at different times because money doesn't grow on trees unfortunately.

In terms of sound, here's what I'd rank them:

Listen > AH-MM400 > MDR-1A > M-100 > Momentum M2 > MSR7

My biases: I tend to like bright headphones. I also like warm headphones that are also articulate in the treble. I usually decide whether a headphone is a keeper from its treble. If the timbre is off or it's too bright/recessed then it's a deal breaker for me.

Brief comments on each:

Listen (Own): Might still be in "New Toy" syndrome. Fairly balanced with a bit of elevated bass and treble. Even with that, vocals and guitars never sound or feel recessed. In fact, I really like the vocals on these. Hard to really explain it, but it's like they're the highlight of every song I've played on them. Never too harsh or honky nor too underpowered. Very good balance. Fairly decent instrument separation, though more of an "in-your-head" kind of experience. Headphones are the heaviest of the bunch, though still pretty comfortable.

AH-MM400 (Owned): Been a while since I heard these, so I don't remember too much (which will be the same for the rest of the headphones to be talked about). Fairly balanced, though its treble is fairly bright. A touch too bright for me especially for some electronic music. Bass was tight and punchy with a nice balance for fun but not overbearing especially with electronic music. I can't really recall what I thought about the mids on these headphones. I think it was fairly V-shaped sounding. They sound more or less like the Listen, but I think the Listen has a more easy-going listening experience. I think its isolation was above average though not even close to the Listen's (again it's been a while so I'm guessing with that). I had mixed feelings with its design. Silver bands with wooden earcups are a miss for me. The silver bands looked and felt kind of cheap.

MDR-1A (Demo'd): Warm and fun. I remember these to be quite wide sounding for a closed back. I think the bass was kind of loose, but I didn't really mind it. Very fun for songs that demanded bass. I think the treble was pretty articulate in never sounding too recessed nor too bright. The Listen's and the MM400's are a lot brighter and less bassy.  Can't really comment on mids really. Isolation was very poor. I remember hearing the sales associate talking in the background quite clearly while I my volume pretty high up (say like 70-80%). Most comfortable of the bunch by far.

M-100 (Owned): Very nice tight and punchy bass, though quite a bit too much bass emphasis for me. Everything I threw at it had a big bass-line. I think I found the mids on these to be somewhat shouty, though I can't really recall. I remember not liking how vocals sounded. If I recall correctly, I thought the treble was fairly articulate, if not, had an odd timbre. Keywords of the day being too long to remember correctly. Sounded fairly wide for a closed back, though I think slightly narrower than the MDR-1A's. Isolation is a lot better than the 1A's though. Build is probably the most inspiring of the bunch. I prefer the feel of the M2's though. Not the most comfortable though. 

M2 (Owned): Very warm with the most midrange emphasis. I like my mids. For example, I really like the mids on the AD2000X which are, to some, infamous for their vocal performance. The M2's.. Not so much. Comes off a bit honky and harsh. A little too much for my liking. I thought the bass was fairly powerful, though maybe a bit loose and slow? I didn't really like the treble presentation on these. Not articulate enough for busy passages in Punk or Electronic. Kinda sounds congested. Isolation is surprisingly not very good. With somewhat loud music, I can still hear ambient noises.
Any positives? Seems to be very durable. I think these feel the best out of the headphones here. Feels and looks very premium. I also like the small footprint they have when they fold up.

MSR7 (Owned): Very bright. Too bright for my liking. Weird because I like Audio Technica and I like bright headphones. I found vocals to be too harsh and sibilant. Bass was punchy, I guess? I didn't really like the balance on these headphones. It sounds like an upward slope. Kind of reminds me of the Grado SR225e in terms of tonality. Just a bit more punchier bass and smoother midrange towards the treble I think. Very creaky construction. Least inspiring build of the bunch here. I also did not like where the cable connected into the earcup. It shot straight down to my shoulder. Probably also the least comfortable of the bunch. All in all, not my cup of tea surprisingly.

EDIT: Added V-Moda M-100's into comparison.

Very subjective individual rankings of features:

Bass (More so quality than quality): Listen > MM400 > MDR-1A > M-100 > MSR7 > M2
Mids (I tend to mash this up with vocals/guitars): Listen > MM400 > MDR-1A > M2 > M-100 > MSR7
Treble (I've considered articulation, timbre, and brightness): Listen > MDR-1A > MM400 > MSR7 > M-100 > M2
Soundstage (Width and depth taken in consideration):  MDR-1A > M-100 > MM400 > MSR7 > Listen > M2
Comfort: MDR-1A > M2 > MM400 > Listen > MSR7 > M-100 (stock pads)
Isolation: Listen > MM400 > MSR7 > M-100 > M2 > MDR-1A
Build (Feel and materials used): M-100 > M2 > MDR-1A > Listen > MM400 > MSR7 
Design/Detailing: MDR-1A > M2 > M-100 > Listen > MM400 > MSR7 (l understand it looks like the MDR-1A, but it just looks like a knock-off of the MDR-1A, if the MDR-1A/1R have never existed it might've been different; may I remind you that I like Audio Technica products)

Overall satisfaction: Listen > MDR-1A > MM400 > M2 > M-100 > MSR7

Again, my thoughts should not be the end-all be-all in deciding between these. My nitpicks for each headphone might not even be a problem with another person. I might not be appreciating the same things that another person appreciated.

Just ordered the Listen because of your comment of the vocals being upfront

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #124 of 226
  Just ordered the Listen because of your comment of the vocals being upfront

I should've specified more when I said that vocals were the highlight. I sometimes equate forward/upfront vocals to be harsh, honky, or shouty sounding. These just strike a good balance between being too forward and not being enough for me. That along with fairly good instrument separation, vocals don't seem to be jumbled with other instruments. I think this is what I meant when I said that vocals were the highlight.

For every headphone that I get, I like to expect the worse so that I can be pleasantly surprised. Honestly, I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase with these headphones. I'll have to give another update later down the line, possibly experimenting using them on-the-go.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #125 of 226
Did anyone find a compatible replacement cable? I wanted to get a longer cable (say 10ft/3m) for at home listening.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #127 of 226
  Like do they sound ''big'', like if the singer is singing directly to your ear, instead of sounding ''distant'' if you get what I mean

Sorry for te delay. Not much spare time this weekend.

To answer your question I made additional listening sessions.

Firstly, I listened to those 2 tracks:

Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem ( 24 bits - 96000 Hz )
Livingston Taylor - Isn't she lovely ( 24 bits - 96000 Hz )

With all those headphones:

1- Focal Listen

2- Grado RS2i

3- Grado SR225

4- Klipsch Image S4i Rugged

Here is how I would rank them from highest to lowest upfront vocals.

1- Klipsch Image S4i Rugged

2- Focal Listen

3-4 Grado R2i and SR225

With Klipsch Image S4i it is coming with a high price to pay, almost everything seems blurred, while with Focal Listen you're not losing details. In all fairness we can hardly blame Image S4i for lacking details as I bought the Image S4i for something like 60 $ CAN and Listen for 299 $ CAN. 

After this I made another listening session in which my base line was HiFi Reference System.

YBA Integre Alpha DT
JM Lab Daline 3.1
Cyrus SoundKey

I was listening to the same 2 tracks and I was comparing with those 2 HeadFi SetUps

1- Focal Listen + Cyrus SoundKey

2- Grado RS2 + Cyrus SoundKey

Here is my conclusion. With Listen vocals are more upfront than with RS2. There is a trade off though, we're a losing a bit of depth.

I must add there is something special going on with vocals when I am using the Listen. This is probably the first thing I noticed after unpacking it and starting listening to music. Something is happening even if it's hard for me to pinpoint why this is like that.

For the overall Image of Music and the reproduction of things like the rendering of Recording Studio's Acoustic I really the RS2i, I gotta to say I paid something like 600 $ CAN for the RS2i.

I hope this will help you.

UPDATE: I read that you ordered it after posting. Maybe it will help someone else, Looking forward to read what you think of the Listen.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #128 of 226
Made mine. Nothing is compatible.

I had a generic Beats replacement cable lying around so I tried that. It worked! Of course, you don't get the locking mechanism of the stock cable but sound still comes through with no problems.

I'm probably looking in getting this cable from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/1-2Meters-Skullcandy-Monster-Headphones-Microphone/dp/B01MY880JE/

Seems durable, but probably going to have to spray paint the golden accents as I'm not really feeling them. Just waiting for them to be back in stock.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #129 of 226

Mine are better 
biggrin.gif

tongue_smile.gif

wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #130 of 226
Mar 12, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #131 of 226

Seriously. I had 4 or 5 lying around and they all work.

yes, all small ones work, but there is nothing with "focal lockon nozzle", so I made mines.

I made 3 of them :
- 3.5 TRS 3m
- 3.5 TRS 1.2m
- Litz cable 2.5 TRRS 1m

Using this base for TRS

to do that

and then

And for litz cable

And here you have a full compatible cable.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #132 of 226
So I've been listening to these since a few hours.

I must say, they're REALLY refined. That's what striked me the most, they almost have no grain, and a very sweet, clear and natural sound that is forgiving even with lesser recordings (because of the lack of grain)

I did except them to have more bass though. To me, the emphasis is slightly south of neutral.

The Focal Spirit Pro I used to own almost 2 years ago, had A LOT more grain, and had a lot less treble. It seems Focal have really improved with their headphones since they started

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #134 of 226
If you want more bass, let it plays at least 50 hours and remove white foam under pads

Is this reversible? They seem to have some sort of adhesive keeping them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back