Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,322 of 1,472
can I use pads from other Focal models on the Radiance?
Physically they will fit, yes. However, the sound will not be the same. The Focal Stellia pads are the closest match sonically from the Focal lineup.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #1,323 of 1,472
Physically they will fit, yes. However, the sound will not be the same. The Focal Stellia pads are the closest match sonically from the Focal lineup.
Thanks. I understand the sound signature will be different. just wondering about physical fit really right now. Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #1,324 of 1,472
FINALLY!!! got the replacement pads from Focal after almost 9 months, I requested for pad replacement on Jan 2023 because of thickness differrence for L/R channel which created an unbalanced stereo image, bit dissapointed it took that long considering my Radiance was brand new but still channel balance is perfect now and am happy :beyersmile:

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #1,325 of 1,472
so I have the Z1R and thinking of getting this phones to add to the collection. any thoughts subjective thoughts on the Z1r vs the Radiance? Thank you.

Sep 10, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #1,326 of 1,472
First of all, I haven't tested these, so what I say is purely based on reading reviews and fora. But that info makes me wonder why you would buy the Radiance. As there seems to be much similarity between these headphones. (When looking at the differences, the Radiance may be more focused on voices. And have less soundstage, which does not seem attractive to me. Moreover, the Sony seems technically far better than the Radiance.
Is that what you are after?)

If you are looking for something different, I think you better search for a headphone that is less smooth.

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #1,327 of 1,472
I have both the Z1R and the Radiance. Both are great headphones but also different. I would say they are complementary..:). The Radiance is much better tuned, one of the best tuned close back headphones available today but still have that Focal house sound. More in your face where the Z1R is more laid back. Z1R is better technically and has a wide big soundstage. Big bass and big soundstage and details to match is probably the best description of the Z1R.

Which one is the best headphone is subjective. If I had to choose I think I would take the Radiance. But I will keep both :)

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,328 of 1,472
First of all, I haven't tested these, so what I say is purely based on reading reviews and fora. But that info makes me wonder why you would buy the Radiance. As there seems to be much similarity between these headphones. (When looking at the differences, the Radiance may be more focused on voices. And have less soundstage, which does not seem attractive to me. Moreover, the Sony seems technically far better than the Radiance.
Is that what you are after?)

If you are looking for something different, I think you better search for a headphone that is less smooth.
I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but please refrain from making recommendations on gear you don’t/haven’t owned or even tried. It’s not in the best interest of the OP and it’s not good practice in general.

I’ve owned the Z1R and currently own the Radiance.

Needless to say, the Z1R is an IEM and the Radiance a closed-back headphone.

The Radiance is a bassy, warm headphone with a somewhat silvery treble. It’s well-tuned, and does voicing well compared to the Z1R.

I think it’s more balanced across the frequency spectrum than the Z1R. I found the Z1R too bass-heavy on many tracks.

Soundstaging is obviously a highlight of the Z1R with its cathedral-like staging. We’re comparing an IEM to a closed-back here so this isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison, but the Radiance doesn’t have the biggest staging. It’s not closed in either, but it won’t wow you with a sense of spaciousness on most tracks.

I don’t know if you have this issue as a Z1R owner, but because of the Z1R’s contentious fit, I never took it on-the-go and mostly used it tethered to my desk. I find the Radiance is easier to use on-the-go without having to worry about it falling out of my ears because of its size/weight like I do with the Z1R.

I’d say the Z1R is better technically, but it’s not by a significant margin. Slightly better resolving? Bigger soundstage (again, an IEM to HP comparison). Better overall bass.

The Radiance has better dynamics and is better-tuned.

Like @stenog, I’d probably take the Radiance over the Z1R because of the Z1R’s fit and because the Radiance vocals/tuning is better.

Sep 10, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,329 of 1,472
I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but please refrain from making recommendations on gear you don’t/haven’t owned or even tried. It’s not in the best interest of the OP and it’s not good practice in general.

I’ve owned the Z1R and currently own the Radiance.

Needless to say, the Z1R is an IEM and the Radiance a closed-back headphone.

The Radiance is a bassy, warm headphone with a somewhat silvery treble. It’s well-tuned, and does voicing well compared to the Z1R.

I think it’s more balanced across the frequency spectrum than the Z1R. I found the Z1R too bass-heavy on many tracks.

Soundstaging is obviously a highlight of the Z1R with its cathedral-like staging. We’re comparing an IEM to a closed-back here so this isn’t an apples-to-apples comparison, but the Radiance doesn’t have the biggest staging. It’s not closed in either, but it won’t wow you with a sense of spaciousness on most tracks.

I don’t know if you have this issue as a Z1R owner, but because of the Z1R’s contentious fit, I never took it on-the-go and mostly used it tethered to my desk. I find the Radiance is easier to use on-the-go without having to worry about it falling out of my ears because of its size/weight like I do with the Z1R.

I’d say the Z1R is better technically, but it’s not by a significant margin. Slightly better resolving? Bigger soundstage (again, an IEM to HP comparison). Better overall bass.

The Radiance has better dynamics and is better-tuned.

Like @stenog, I’d probably take the Radiance over the Z1R because of the Z1R’s fit and because the Radiance vocals/tuning is better.
I think he is talking about these:

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/mdr-z1r/review

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,333 of 1,472
Join the Radiance club today. Very good headphone.

Radiance.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,334 of 1,472

Users who are viewing this thread

Back