Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Oct 26, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #871 of 1,498
I also had the Clear MG and eventually got the Radiance, though I do not have the MG anymore. I agree that the MG probably was more detailed but I also think this is due to them being open back as someone else has stated. I think the MG were more intimate even then the Radiance however...though I am going off of audio memory. I friggin love the Radiance though and there is something about that low end of it that is just gooey good ha! It doesn't hurt that it's also a looker imo too!
Warm and gooey like a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #872 of 1,498
I have the Focal Clear Pro OG (black and red). Does the Focal Radiance compete with the OG Clear sonically or is it really just a competent and handsome closed back headphone that should be judged as a closed back?

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #873 of 1,498
Can anyone share any thoughts on how the Radiance stacks up against the Clear OG and/or Meze Liric in terms of detail retrieval?
All three are wildly different for almost every category so it's a tough comparison.

Strictly in terms of detail retrieval the Radiance would be last in that bunch of three. The Clear OG would come first with the Liric being second.

Having said that the Clear exhibits really strange timbre. It's almost tinny. Bass is quite light, especially sub bass and is a bright neutral tonally.

The Liric has awful timbre and is quite bright as well. When I had mine I sold it after about 10 days. It needs a tonne of EQ to sound anything remote to natural and the Radiance, VC & Aeon Noire destroy it for a host of other categories.

Radiance has more of the ZMF house sound compared to all of the other Focals. It's timbre is very accurate with excellent sub bass extension and wonderful mids. It's about 80% of the Stellia's detail retrieval at half the price. And like most of the other people in this thread I belive it to be an end game headphone and one of the best closed backs in the market.

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #874 of 1,498
All three are wildly different for almost every category so it's a tough comparison.

Strictly in terms of detail retrieval the Radiance would be last in that bunch of three. The Clear OG would come first with the Liric being second.

Having said that the Clear exhibits really strange timbre. It's almost tinny. Bass is quite light, especially sub bass and is a bright neutral tonally.

The Liric has awful timbre and is quite bright as well. When I had mine I sold it after about 10 days. It needs a tonne of EQ to sound anything remote to natural and the Radiance, VC & Aeon Noire destroy it for a host of other categories.

Radiance has more of the ZMF house sound compared to all of the other Focals. It's timbre is very accurate with excellent sub bass extension and wonderful mids. It's about 80% of the Stellia's detail retrieval at half the price. And like most of the other people in this thread I belive it to be an end game headphone and one of the best closed backs in the market.
For the money and what it delivers it's quite the winner and as far as the sound signature it was voiced to approximate the TOL Naim system in a Bentley.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #876 of 1,498
so is the Radiance better than the Sony MDR-Z1R over ear?
They are both tuned quite a bit different.

And it depends on what your definition is when you use the word “better”.

The Z1R is a bass monster with a considerable of energy in the treble region. It’s easily the most V-Shaped closed back I’ve heard.

The Radiance is quite a bit more balanced with sub bass and mid range being the star of the show.

They are both different enough in their tuning alone to warrant owning both so I think it’s more a matter of what you are indexing for. The Z1R for my tastes is very genre specific as I would never chose it for anything other than EDM or Hip-Hop. The Radiance is more of an all rounder.

Oct 30, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #878 of 1,498
i am surprised you don't own the Z1R than..is the bass atleast close to the Z1R in quality or quantity on the Radiance and how big of a diffeence in soundstage?
I can’t own everything and already own three closed-backs. The Z1R has more quantity of both sub & mid bass. The quality of the bass is a tough question and I’m probably biased but I prefer the Radiance. Soundstage goes to Z1R. All Focal’s don’t stage very well and Radiance doesn’t break that trend.

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #880 of 1,498
Is there a way where you can design the cable and preview it?
Trevor does a great job at showing examples of what he’s made in the past. You’ll have a really good idea of what it’ll look like.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #882 of 1,498
You have to help me with that, is that from the Norne thread? Or from the gallery on the Norne site?
Contact Trevor at Norne. Norne has a contact email that you can send your request and Trevor personally responds back to you with images to guide you down the right path. He usually discusses your goal, customization options and his personal recommendations for the headphone that you're looking to pair for the perfect symmetry and budget.

Here's a link to his inquiry form: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=information/contact

He's always gotten back to me within 24 hours

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #883 of 1,498
Contact Trevor at Norne. Norne has a contact email that you can send your request and Trevor personally responds back to you with images to guide you down the right path. He usually discusses your goal, customization options and his personal recommendations for the headphone that you're looking to pair for the perfect symmetry and budget.

Here's a link to his inquiry form: http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=information/contact

He's always gotten back to me within 24 hours
Norne cables are a work of art and they sound great..
He did this one for my Radiance.

Attachments

• 20220921_220905.jpg
    20220921_220905.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #884 of 1,498
Put these back on today. First off, I forgot (already!) How beautiful and comfortable these are. The sound isn't bad either. :relaxed:

I just ran through a few amps and the Violectric V220 really is a sweet combination.
I tried my iFi amp first which was nice, but a bit much since I had bass boost and 3D sound effects engaged. Rather than fiddle with the settings to find the sweet spot, I just slid over to the V220.

On a bit of a side track, I have developed a whole new wave of affection for the V220. I have picked up additional amps recently and was debating on the plusses and minuses of each model, specifically against the big boys, V220 and iFi amps. The cheaper amps really can't come close to the warmth and "fullness" of the V220, if you are into that. And I really am.:heart_eyes:
I am now thinking that a system with just my iFi and Violectric would be all I really need.

Time for a few straight days of V220 and Radiance's tied together, fed by a BF2.:L3000:

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #885 of 1,498
Put these back on today. First off, I forgot (already!) How beautiful and comfortable these are. The sound isn't bad either. :relaxed:

I just ran through a few amps and the Violectric V220 really is a sweet combination.
I tried my iFi amp first which was nice, but a bit much since I had bass boost and 3D sound effects engaged. Rather than fiddle with the settings to find the sweet spot, I just slid over to the V220.

On a bit of a side track, I have developed a whole new wave of affection for the V220. I have picked up additional amps recently and was debating on the plusses and minuses of each model, specifically against the big boys, V220 and iFi amps. The cheaper amps really can't come close to the warmth and "fullness" of the V220, if you are into that. And I really am.:heart_eyes:
I am now thinking that a system with just my iFi and Violectric would be all I really need.

Time for a few straight days of V220 and Radiance's tied together, fed by a BF2.:L3000:
You have piqued my interest in the v220 will have to look into it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back