Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jun 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #751 of 1,498
I just uploaded my review and impressions of the Radiance to my channel. 🙂🎧

Apologies, I had some rendering issues and had to pull the video down. It is re-uploading now and will repost once complete.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #752 of 1,498
can someone compare the Radiance to the ZMF Atticus bass ?
Radiance bass has considerably more texture and detail compared to Atticus. Atticus is a mid bass focused headphone and is considerably darker in tonality and timbre. Radiance is a sub bass focused headphone but has a slight rise into the mid bass that never sounds muddy or thick. It still has a warm and textured midbass but isn't as thick as the Atticus.

Jun 24, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #753 of 1,498
I just uploaded my review and impressions of the Radiance to my channel. 🙂🎧

Apologies, I had some rendering issues and had to pull the video down. It is re-uploading now and will repost once complete.
Ok - now I have my rendering fixed and reuploaded! I hope I did justice to this fantastic headphone!

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #754 of 1,498
Ok - now I have my rendering fixed and reuploaded! I hope I did justice to this fantastic headphone!

Nice review. I subscribed. I also own the Arya SE and looking at buying the Aeon Noire for my next purchase.

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #755 of 1,498
Let me know what you think if you do get the Noire. Probably more linear to me to the Radiance...but still a great closed back albeit Planar closed back!

Thank you for the sub!

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #757 of 1,498
looking for a Radiance if any one is looking to sell
I won't be back till June 30th from a trip but if you are still looking by then, I have one to sell. I like the headphones but a buying binge a year ago left me with too many headphones. It's been very lightly used and I have the original box and all parts. I'll check this forum when I get back.

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #758 of 1,498
looking for a Radiance if any one is looking to sell
I won't be back till June 30th from a trip but if you are still looking by then, I have one to sell. I like the headphones but a buying binge a year ago left me with too many headphones. It's been very lightly used and I have the original box and all parts. I'll check this forum when I get back.

The Radiance is becoming harder and harder to find…….seems like there are amazing reviews popping up every day, and more and more people are looking for them now.

So glad I managed to get my hands on a set.

Jun 28, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #759 of 1,498

Thanks for the cool review and your impressions. I think I'll buy it by the end of the year, if it will still be available.

P.S. If I may give a couple filming tips/suggestions: Try to not illuminate the subject form the top as it will usually make male hair look weird, and also is commonly a good idea to "soften" the shadows on the other side of the main light (in this case, you have a side of your head almost pitch black). The other one is that usually you don't show the start or the end of a moving shot, like in some fo your b-roll. Just start and end the edits while already or yet moving!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #760 of 1,498
Thanks for the cool review and your impressions. I think I'll buy it by the end of the year, if it will still be available.

P.S. If I may give a couple filming tips/suggestions: Try to not illuminate the subject form the top as it will usually make male hair look weird, and also is commonly a good idea to "soften" the shadows on the other side of the main light (in this case, you have a side of your head almost pitch black). The other one is that usually you don't show the start or the end of a moving shot, like in some fo your b-roll. Just start and end the edits while already or yet moving!
Video and editing is something I am very new to, so I appreciate all feedback. I have another video dropping today that's probably more of my choppy lighting and broll, but I'll look to improve via your suggestions. Thank you again!

Jun 28, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #762 of 1,498

Hey man, how would you compare / contrast the upper mids, lower and upper treble of these against the Clear MG? I owned the MG, and liked it quite a bit with the exception of a few things. I felt that lead vocalists, male and female, sat a little further back in the mix than I prefer. Do they come across any more forward or level with the Radiance? I thought electric guitars sounded really nice on the MG, but the rhythm guitar definitely took a back seat to the lead. Is this the same with the Radiance? How would you compare guitars between the MG and Radiance? Do the mids, lower and mid mids have a little more weight on the Radiance? Any other thoughts and comparisons would be most appreciated.

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #763 of 1,498
Hey man, how would you compare / contrast the upper mids, lower and upper treble of these against the Clear MG? I owned the MG, and liked it quite a bit with the exception of a few things. I felt that lead vocalists, male and female, sat a little further back in the mix than I prefer. Do they come across any more forward or level with the Radiance? I thought electric guitars sounded really nice on the MG, but the rhythm guitar definitely took a back seat to the lead. Is this the same with the Radiance? How would you compare guitars between the MG and Radiance? Do the mids, lower and mid mids have a little more weight on the Radiance? Any other thoughts and comparisons would be most appreciated.
I'm a bit hesitant to answer this simply because I don't own the MG Pro's any longer and it's been about a year since I did. Audio memory is very difficult to gauge...but since you asked I will give it my best shot:

I'm surprised you thought the MG was a bit pushed back in vocals. I thought just the opposite that the MG was very vocal present. The stage of the MG Pro was also much more closed in and more of an intimate sound.

The Radiance, to me, is not a very vocal present headphone. Vocalists, depending on who and what track, can sound great or a bit underwhelming. It's a headphone that I have learned pairs very well with pretty clean amps. Since it already has a good amount of bass and oomph to the midrange, I would think tubes or something more colored would detract from the enjoyment. I know, that's not something you asked but I'm getting to my point here ha.
Guitars do sound very good on the Radiance. I also found them to sound good on the MG Pro from what I remember too. So, that probably doesn't help you there. The only reason I don't own the MG Pro any longer was because I had discomfort wearing the pads...the fenestrated pads of Focal don't agree with my oily skin. This is where the Radiance is much better being leather with 0 issues.
I felt the weight of the mids to be great on both headphones when I listened. Funny enough I actually think the stage is wider on the Radiance then on the MG. So hard to compare though when going off of memory.

I'm going to @WaveTheory to this response because I believe he still owns both headphones and is much more fluent with his terminology and experiences with this. He is the one that convinced me my balanced Jot2 was the better sound pair instead of the SE on the jot2.

I personally feel the Radiance was made for rock and harder rock type music with the caveat that at times you can get some shout out of it...but I've never had it bad enough to hate. Really is track dependent too.

I really feel like there are many similarities between the two headphones mentioned here, but remember one is closed and the other is open. Closed back by nature will be more aggressive too.

If I didn't address things here you wanted me to just hit me back up on it. I'm sure between myself and other's here we can help you make a somewhat informative decision!

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #764 of 1,498
Not having much luck in sourcing the Radiance stock pads. Where are others getting theirs from? Are the Utopia pads the same?
I'm not looking for or interested in Dekoni or other aftermarket replacements.

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #765 of 1,498
Not having much luck in sourcing the Radiance stock pads. Where are others getting theirs from? Are the Utopia pads the same?
I'm not looking for or interested in Dekoni or other aftermarket replacements.
I've ran into the same problem and contacted my Focal rep in Canada.

Focal doesn't make them as they don't create parts for limited runs or discontinued items. They sent me Utopia pads for my inconvenience.

The Utopia pads are perforated and give the Radiance a totally different sound tonally and therefore I wouldn't recommend them as a replacement for Radiance stock pads.

The closest substitute i've found are the Dekoni Stellia pads but again they change the stock Radiance sonics. Not as much as the Utopia pads but enough to tell a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back