Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Apr 4, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #691 of 1,498
I gotta throw my 2cents in on this subject. I too just bought the Radiance (found them new) and felt they were a bit underwhelming on first listen. I was coming from months of daily using the Arya Stealth. Very different sound going from open back Planar to a closed back Dynamic. So, after talking with some friends I decided I just needed to give them more time. Also, fwiw, Focal does recommend about 50 hours of burn in for new headphones. I'm not a personal believer in this as I also think doing so will eventually lead to brain burn-in.

Anyway, after owning these for over a week now and giving them more time...I am starting to get the "wow" factor I was hoping for. So, it could be possible about burn in. Could be possible the pads are conforming for a better seal. Could be possible my brain is forgetting the old sound and adapting to the new.

Either way, I am enjoying them now. I do find some shoutiness every now and then on certain tracks in the upper mids...but never too terrible.

I am powering mind on a Modius/Jotunheim2 stack.

I am looking to get my first tube amp just to check it out. Leaning towards a Liquid Platinum but we will see.

Bottom line - give them some time and don't judge too quickly. I would say after 25-50 hours if you are still not enjoying them, then move on as said above. Magic won't always happen after all.
I had the Arya, non stealth version, and I think they worked well with the Radiance in terms of having two different sound signatures and case uses. I wish I still had the Arya. I'm currently running the Radiance off the Valhalla 2, sounds great to me.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #692 of 1,498
I had the Arya, non stealth version, and I think they worked well with the Radiance in terms of having two different sound signatures and case uses. I wish I still had the Arya. I'm currently running the Radiance off the Valhalla 2, sounds great to me.
Yes Arya and Radiance are both nice complementary cans that scale well I enjoy both.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #693 of 1,498
I gotta throw my 2cents in on this subject. I too just bought the Radiance (found them new) and felt they were a bit underwhelming on first listen. I was coming from months of daily using the Arya Stealth. Very different sound going from open back Planar to a closed back Dynamic. So, after talking with some friends I decided I just needed to give them more time. Also, fwiw, Focal does recommend about 50 hours of burn in for new headphones. I'm not a personal believer in this as I also think doing so will eventually lead to brain burn-in.

Anyway, after owning these for over a week now and giving them more time...I am starting to get the "wow" factor I was hoping for. So, it could be possible about burn in. Could be possible the pads are conforming for a better seal. Could be possible my brain is forgetting the old sound and adapting to the new.

Either way, I am enjoying them now. I do find some shoutiness every now and then on certain tracks in the upper mids...but never too terrible.

I am powering mind on a Modius/Jotunheim2 stack.

I am looking to get my first tube amp just to check it out. Leaning towards a Liquid Platinum but we will see.

Bottom line - give them some time and don't judge too quickly. I would say after 25-50 hours if you are still not enjoying them, then move on as said above. Magic won't always happen after all.
The LP sounds great with the radiance but it is a hybrid and not a true tube amp, maybe check out the latest woo firefly or other tube amps in that price range.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #694 of 1,498
IMG_3395.jpg

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #695 of 1,498
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #696 of 1,498
Gorgeous cable!!! Love how the color scheme matches the Radiance :heart_eyes:
Thanks. I bought it specifically for the Radiance as it's an end game headphone for me. I'll keep it for life.

Apr 16, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #698 of 1,498
end game? I didn't know there was an end to this game.
End game to me means it's something that's part of my collection that I would never sell and am completely happy with.

My Rosson RAD-0 falls into that same category so I've invested in a custom cable just for it and I'm in the process of designing my own custom grill for it as well with the incredibly talented team of artisans at Rosson.

I'm doing the same with my Aeolus as it's currently with the ZMF team getting some upgrades. All three I would never sell so I'm investing more into them to maximize my enjoyment out of them.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #699 of 1,498
Gorgeous cable!!! Love how the color scheme matches the Radiance :heart_eyes:
Gotta love Norne cables this is the one I had done for my Radiance, I just have to add copper to the recessed lines that are currently silver.

Attachments

• 32BB45EA-9883-4937-8304-9E8769C90F2E.jpeg
    32BB45EA-9883-4937-8304-9E8769C90F2E.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #700 of 1,498
Gotta love Norne cables this is the one I had done for my Radiance just have to add copper to the recessed lines that are currently silver.
Stunner

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #701 of 1,498
Thanks Norne cables are works of art IMHO I use the all copper copper / black wire for the Radiance and Arya. I also have a hybrid copper silver cable for my Stellia, he will always be my go to for cables I had to wait awhile for the copper black combination due to shortage of the black wire in the right gauge.
the Rad o is on my short list as is a Empyrean.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #702 of 1,498
End game to me means it's something that's part of my collection that I would never sell and am completely happy with.

My Rosson RAD-0 falls into that same category so I've invested in a custom cable just for it and I'm in the process of designing my own custom grill for it as well with the incredibly talented team of artisans at Rosson.

I'm doing the same with my Aeolus as it's currently with the ZMF team getting some upgrades. All three I would never sell so I'm investing more into them to maximize my enjoyment out of them.
If it's a keeper I'd suggest investing in some pad rolling fun. The dekoni custom pads are my favorite for an even warmer and punchier sound with a good seal. https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...es-replacement-ear-pads-for-focal-headphones/

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #703 of 1,498
I've just purchased the DCA Aeon 2 Noire to compare to the Radiance. I've had the Radiance now for 3 months and have been using them daily. As much as I love the punch/slam that Focal has...I am feeling like something is missing. It could also just be the sig is not for me...so hence why I got the Noire on the way. I already know the whole Planar vs Dynamic going on here and how I won't get that same impact...but still something to see. I'm powering with a Jotunheim 2 and man...I barely need to turn the dial up with the Radiance which I suppose is good. Still...some songs just are a bit too aggressive with the Radiance. Good lord though it's a gorgeous HP though so that alone I don't know if I could part ways with it. That's a very sad reason I know...

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #704 of 1,498
I've just purchased the DCA Aeon 2 Noire to compare to the Radiance. I've had the Radiance now for 3 months and have been using them daily. As much as I love the punch/slam that Focal has...I am feeling like something is missing. It could also just be the sig is not for me...so hence why I got the Noire on the way. I already know the whole Planar vs Dynamic going on here and how I won't get that same impact...but still something to see. I'm powering with a Jotunheim 2 and man...I barely need to turn the dial up with the Radiance which I suppose is good. Still...some songs just are a bit too aggressive with the Radiance. Good lord though it's a gorgeous HP though so that alone I don't know if I could part ways with it. That's a very sad reason I know...
I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons. I spent about 20mins with the Noire at my local store on Wednesday and really enjoyed them. I'm going on a vacation next month and would love the Aeon's as a travel headphone. The synergy with the Gryphon balanced was really nice but I think I need to bring the Radiance and A/B them in the store to make up my mind if they are different enough to have both.

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #705 of 1,498
I'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons.
I definitely will post an update here. Only problem is that I had to order the SE cable with the Noire as the balanced was out of stock. Honestly the positive is that it will be much easier for me to a/b them to the Radiance since it is balanced. Going to power this through my Jotunheim2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back