Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 4, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #4,577 of 4,854
Ok, I burned it in and mounted the pads. And my first listening experience was a disappointment. The sound lacked detail and sub-bass. Everything also sounded overly happy, or hyper, like played at 1.25x the speed. Not my cup of tea. Windows Audio Enhancement seemed to make things even worse.

Now, I've found Oratory's EQ profile for the Elegia and applied it. And I've boosted the sub-bass hard
This has done wonders.

Sub-bass is still limited, and the sound-stage is half of my other closed-back headphone (like a room of at most 10m wide vs a nice theater). That other headphone also gives more texture, if that is the right word, to instrument sounds, especially with acoustic songs.

BUT, the bass kick is nice, not incredible, but nice, and in harmony with the rest. Treble is present but not overly so or harsh. Overall, the sound feels more natural now and the Elegia provides a really nice and smooth listening experience.

While I was thinking of doing it away, I'm starting to enjoy the Elegia now. It may have it's place on my desk. To be continued...

EDIT: forgot to mention: sound insulation seem quite good on the Elegia. So that's another plus in my view.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #4,578 of 4,854
Ok, I burned it in and mounted the pads. And my first listening experience was a disappointment. The sound lacked detail and sub-bass. Everything also sounded overly happy, or hyper, like played at 1.25x the speed. Not my cup of tea. Windows Audio Enhancement seemed to make things even worse.

Now, I've found Oratory's EQ profile for the Elegia and applied it. And I've boosted the sub-bass hard
This has done wonders.

Sub-bass is still limited, and the sound-stage is half of my other closed-back headphone (like a room of at most 10m wide vs a nice theater). That other headphone also gives more texture, if that is the right word, to instrument sounds, especially with acoustic songs.

BUT, the bass kick is nice, not incredible, but nice, and in harmony with the rest. Treble is present but not overly so or harsh. Overall, the sound feels more natural now and the Elegia provides a nice and smooth listening experience.

While I was thinking of doing it away, I'm starting to enjoy the Elegia now. It may have it's place on my desk. To be continued...
What do you have that is closed and has a wider soundstage? For me, the Elegia feels really wide even without any modifications.

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #4,583 of 4,854
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #4,584 of 4,854
Also a late comer to the Elegia party. Mine arrive on Monday along with a Hart Audio Balanced cable and in two weeks, the highly recommended Dekoni Custom Pads. I’m trying to get this right, right out of the gate. I will have two weeks or so to check out the stock pads, so that’s cool.
I’m not entirely new to this game. I’ve been chasing HiFi for most of my adult life, but without any truly reliable resources. So Head-Fi along with some very good (and entertaining) YouTube reviewers, have made this much easier than it used to be. So thank you to all of the contributors for the great info. I’ll post an update in a few weeks with some impressions. Not an official review. I’m not qualified for that. But I think it might be fun to share my experience. I’ll compare them to my B&W Px7 s2s and try to give some detail to how both my BTR7 and Hip-Dac2 affects their sound. Going to try to not EQ them, but I like to tinker with that stuff…
Anyway, cheers.
I am actually waiting for Px7 S2s to arrive, and have the Elegias.
I’m not sure I’d wanna keep both but maybe there’s room for both of ‘em?

Keen to get your input!

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #4,585 of 4,854
I am actually waiting for Px7 S2s to arrive, and have the Elegias.
I’m not sure I’d wanna keep both but maybe there’s room for both of ‘em?

Keen to get your input!
It's a bit unfair, the Elegia is a full sized headphone with about 3x the cup volume as the PX7 S2. Using them portably without looking like an astronaut is ill advised.

But as someone who's owned both, Elegia is on another level for detail and clarity compared to the Bowers. Elegia bass is a bit feeble though imo, at least in comparison

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #4,586 of 4,854
It's a bit unfair, the Elegia is a full sized headphone with about 3x the cup volume as the PX7 S2. Using them portably without looking like an astronaut is ill advised.

But as someone who's owned both, Elegia is on another level for detail and clarity compared to the Bowers. Elegia bass is a bit feeble though imo, at least in comparison
Particularly interested on the usb c wired mode too since that’s hi res.

Aug 12, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #4,587 of 4,854
Particularly interested on the usb c wired mode too since that’s hi res.
Elegia will still be much better. Like a lot. I have PX8 and Elegia is far more detailed, with a wider soundstage, better imaging and overall clarity.

However the tonality is v different. Bowers house sound is fun and warm. Elegia can feel cold in comparison.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #4,589 of 4,854
Aug 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #4,590 of 4,854
Dekoni Custom “Stellia” pads
These seem to be the best of their available pads for the Elegia without too much compromise. I have read that the Sheepskin pads compromise the treble too much, and the fenestrated pads don't change the sound enough to justify the price, and etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back