Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jul 11, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #4,561 of 4,891
Then, these are doing their job very well, it seems.... :wink:
Yes. They are. No adjustment time needed. I’m just love them. Admittedly did go back and EQ Spiritbox via the VOX PEQ. But hey, with the bass and treble up a touch and the midrange lightly tamed, it sounded freaking unbelievable. If it’s going to get better, I am not sure how… 😎

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #4,562 of 4,891
Got the zebra lamp cord! Hooray!
Now you can get the matching Ikea Ranarp desk lamp. : )

And now this:
Yes that. : )
https://songwhip.com/john-coltrane/alovesupremeptivpsalmliveinseattle
Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 3.16.42 PM.png

Jul 12, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #4,563 of 4,891
okay. Time to fess up. I downloaded the APO EQ with the Peace GUI and have been fooling around with it through the BTR 7 (wired EQ off). And I have answered my own question,”can it actually get better?” Yes! Did I order the Zen Dac v2 so I don’t have to mess around with my portable dac/amps any more? Yes. With the Dekoni custom pads and the Ifi incoming, I’m expecting to actually lose my mind when everything is put together. But just for now, with what I have, I’m happy. And I would remain so with the Elegias as things stand right now. But I’m a tinkerer, so I’m going to tune them as I go. One thing is for certain at this point though: I’ve never experienced such fine detail in a set of headphones before. They are incredible!

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #4,564 of 4,891
okay. Time to fess up. I downloaded the APO EQ with the Peace GUI and have been fooling around with it through the BTR 7 (wired EQ off). And I have answered my own question,”can it actually get better?” Yes! Did I order the Zen Dac v2 so I don’t have to mess around with my portable dac/amps any more? Yes. With the Dekoni custom pads and the Ifi incoming, I’m expecting to actually lose my mind when everything is put together. But just for now, with what I have, I’m happy. And I would remain so with the Elegias as things stand right now. But I’m a tinkerer, so I’m going to tune them as I go. One thing is for certain at this point though: I’ve never experienced such fine detail in a set of headphones before. They are incredible!
No worries. I have an PEQ profile for stock pads, and one for Dekoni pads... :) I don't often use them, but sometimes I just feel like adding a bit here and there.... :)

Having said that, keep in mind that those Dekoni pads will change the sound quite a bit, and might make your current EQ sound "off"... You may have to create a second one...

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #4,565 of 4,891
All good on day 4. Hip-dac2 came back from Music Direct after my first one started acting cray cray. So now, with the built-in analog bass-boost, I no longer need the PEQ. If I want it it’s there, if not, it’s off. Man these cans sound good. I just can’t say it enough. But I’ll say it again anyway. Man these cans are GOOD! 😎

Jul 14, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #4,566 of 4,891
All good on day 4. Hip-dac2 came back from Music Direct after my first one started acting cray cray. So now, with the built-in analog bass-boost, I no longer need the PEQ. If I want it it’s there, if not, it’s off. Man these cans sound good. I just can’t say it enough. But I’ll say it again anyway. Man these cans are GOOD! 😎
I love them as well, I didn't at first but I can't use open backs like my Hifiman Ananda Stealth in my cigar room because of the large exhaust fan and the noise level... Enter the Elegia, I listen to them so much that they are now tied for first with my Ananda Stealth as my favorite headphones.

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #4,567 of 4,891
I wonder. Is there a boom mic and cable combo akin to the V-Moda Boom Mic that would be compatible with the Elegia and other headphones that have separate L/R inputs?

I know there is the ModMic, but I'd love to see if there is something else before resorting to the ModMic.

Jul 15, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #4,568 of 4,891
I wonder. Is there a boom mic and cable combo akin to the V-Moda Boom Mic that would be compatible with the Elegia and other headphones that have separate L/R inputs?

I know there is the ModMic, but I'd love to see if there is something else before resorting to the ModMic.
A quick glance suggests there isn't - though I did find the Behringer BC12 for a whopping $9 as an alternative to the Boom Mic, and went ahead and ordered one to mess around with the X2HR.

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #4,569 of 4,891
A quick glance suggests there isn't - though I did find the Behringer BC12 for a whopping $9 as an alternative to the Boom Mic, and went ahead and ordered one to mess around with the X2HR.
Yeah, it seems like if I really want a more streamlined boom mic solution, I will need to mod my own mic cable.

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #4,570 of 4,891
These “speakers”, yes I said speakers, are really starting to bloom now. They’ve taken to the hipdac2 like a duck to water. Everyone whose head I have put them on says they feel like they’re sitting in a room filled with high end surround speakers. “There’s stuff happening everywhere.” One friend said. I mean how much better can they get?!?!?
I’ve spent some coin on mid tier HiFi, but the $400 I spent on these is probably the best investment in entertainment I have EVER made!

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #4,571 of 4,891
These “speakers”, yes I said speakers, are really starting to bloom now. They’ve taken to the hipdac2 like a duck to water. Everyone whose head I have put them on says they feel like they’re sitting in a room filled with high end surround speakers. “There’s stuff happening everywhere.” One friend said. I mean how much better can they get?!?!?
I’ve spent some coin on mid tier HiFi, but the $400 I spent on these is probably the best investment in entertainment I have EVER made!
That is why I have always likened these more to open back headphones than closed back headphones.

Also, keep in mind that these started life as high end headphones (almost in the kilobuck territory) that got deeply discounted at the end of their life. Either way, I happen to agree with your assessment on these. :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #4,573 of 4,891
So I’m in my mini man cave. There’s too much crap everywhere in this partially finished basement to call it a real man cave. But I do have a tv, sound bar with sub and surround, a coffee table and couch among the debris. It’s gonna be a hot one today. This is my retreat. And in the morning, before the wife and kiddo awaken, I get to spend some time with my mistress, the Elegias. Dekoni Custom pads, Hart balanced cable, Hip Dac2 are all working together. Courtney is belting out her liquidy, trance-inducing vocals over organized chaotic cacophony of her band mates. It’s just like heaven might be I think. Still breaking in these beauties. So far it just keeps getting better…
Peace y’all. ☮️

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #4,574 of 4,891
Have to agree with everyone that has written about the Dekoni Custom's (or the Celestee pads). I just got them the other day for my Elegia's. They really helped with the midrange dip, the sound field is nice and wide, and the bass is punchy. This is what the Elegia's should have been in the first place. For those that can get a cheap pair of Elegia's and add the $90 pads, you will make a first class pair of headphones that can compete with anything in the "fun" range. (I own Elegia, Celestee, Utopia and Stellia so I know and enjoy the Focal sound.)

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #4,575 of 4,891
Have to agree with everyone that has written about the Dekoni Custom's (or the Celestee pads). I just got them the other day for my Elegia's. They really helped with the midrange dip, the sound field is nice and wide, and the bass is punchy. This is what the Elegia's should have been in the first place. For those that can get a cheap pair of Elegia's and add the $90 pads, you will make a first class pair of headphones that can compete with anything in the "fun" range. (I own Elegia, Celestee, Utopia and Stellia so I know and enjoy the Focal sound.)

Yeah, I also prefer my Elegias with the Dekoni Custom "Stellia-style" pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back