Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 22, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,516 of 4,891
Not me. The Bathys are my when I want really good sound, but don't want a wire to deal with headphones. I use them quite a bit when doing household chores where the wire has a tendency to get in the way. The Elegia sound very good with the FiiO BTR5. I will use them here and there with the FiiO K9 Pro ESS, but I mainly use the Stellia.

I was thinking of getting some Focal Clear or Clear MG. I'm not sure how I want to split the time with the rest of the headphones. I may hold off since I had a pair of Sennhieser HD600 at my parents' house that I could bring here.
I am also thinking of getting the Clear OG, just don't want to take away from my Ananda and Sundara head time.... But I just love the sound of my Focal Elegia for a closed back and wonder what their open backs sound like.

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #4,517 of 4,891
I am also thinking of getting the Clear OG, just don't want to take away from my Ananda and Sundara head time.... But I just love the sound of my Focal Elegia for a closed back and wonder what their open backs sound like.
Ananda AND Sundara?! I guess I do not need to feel silly about having Elegia and Clear, hah. Have 2x beyers too now that I think of it lol

Jun 24, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #4,522 of 4,891
20230618_143451.jpg

So finally I got mine. To be honest, after analyzing them for a while I can say these are amazing and reached my expectations. Mabye even more. I did left them for burn in for about 20-30 hours with bass boost at medium volume.

One of my concerns was that Elegias wouldnt have enough bass, since Im a basshead and listen a lot of R&B. But to my surprise bass is well extended, precise and present enough and I dont really feel it lacking. As someone in here said, with EQ or bass boost option in dac its a wet dream if you want to, but to me, stock sound for relaxed listening is really enouth and it makes me very happy. As well as other sections of sound. Jezz... Details and vocals are in next level on these cans. Very happy with the purchase so far. Also ordered balanced cable and headband cover. Considering about sheepskin pads but as far as stock sound is very nice and I have dac's bass boost option, Im not sure I need them.

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #4,523 of 4,891
20230618_143451.jpg
So finally I got mine. To be honest, after analyzing them for a while I can say these are amazing and reached my expectations. Mabye even more. I did left them for burn in for about 20-30 hours with bass boost at medium volume.

One of my concerns was that Elegias wouldnt have enough bass, since Im a basshead and listen a lot of R&B. But to my surprise bass is well extended, precise and present enough and I dont really feel it lacking. As someone in here said, with EQ or bass boost option in dac its a wet dream if you want to, but to me, stock sound for relaxed listening is really enouth and it makes me very happy. As well as other sections of sound. Jezz... Details and vocals are in next level on these cans. Very happy with the purchase so far. Also ordered balanced cable and headband cover. Considering about sheepskin pads but as far as stock sound is very nice and I have dac's bass boost option, Im not sure I need them.
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I would have to agree with you on the bass. I was worried in the beginning that they would be bass-light as some have alluded to in the past on this thread (and others), but I find them to sound a bit boosted with some things (which is ok with me, even though I am decidedly NOT a bass-head). If the bass was recorded into the music, it is very much there, but can sound a bit light with stuff that isn't (a good sign of mostly neutral).

I love the Dekoni Stelia custom (sheepskin) pads, but keep in mind that they really do boost the mid bass. In some cases, so much so that I feel like it detracts from that wonderfully low reaching sub-bass. Also, it DOES take away from the nice sparkle in the treble area, though I wouldn't say so much so that it becomes muddy sounding overall. It really does make them sound like a very different tuning with these IMHO. Having said that, I love having the option of both, depending on my mood and what sort of music I listen to at that time.

Jul 7, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #4,524 of 4,891
Also a late comer to the Elegia party. Mine arrive on Monday along with a Hart Audio Balanced cable and in two weeks, the highly recommended Dekoni Custom Pads. I’m trying to get this right, right out of the gate. I will have two weeks or so to check out the stock pads, so that’s cool.
I’m not entirely new to this game. I’ve been chasing HiFi for most of my adult life, but without any truly reliable resources. So Head-Fi along with some very good (and entertaining) YouTube reviewers, have made this much easier than it used to be. So thank you to all of the contributors for the great info. I’ll post an update in a few weeks with some impressions. Not an official review. I’m not qualified for that. But I think it might be fun to share my experience. I’ll compare them to my B&W Px7 s2s and try to give some detail to how both my BTR7 and Hip-Dac2 affects their sound. Going to try to not EQ them, but I like to tinker with that stuff…
Anyway, cheers.

Jul 8, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #4,525 of 4,891
Also a late comer to the Elegia party. Mine arrive on Monday along with a Hart Audio Balanced cable and in two weeks, the highly recommended Dekoni Custom Pads. I’m trying to get this right, right out of the gate. I will have two weeks or so to check out the stock pads, so that’s cool.
I’m not entirely new to this game. I’ve been chasing HiFi for most of my adult life, but without any truly reliable resources. So Head-Fi along with some very good (and entertaining) YouTube reviewers, have made this much easier than it used to be. So thank you to all of the contributors for the great info. I’ll post an update in a few weeks with some impressions. Not an official review. I’m not qualified for that. But I think it might be fun to share my experience. I’ll compare them to my B&W Px7 s2s and try to give some detail to how both my BTR7 and Hip-Dac2 affects their sound. Going to try to not EQ them, but I like to tinker with that stuff…
Anyway, cheers.
Hope you enjoy them! I know many prefer the aftermarket pads, but I’d encourage you to also try the stock pads. Especially after time goes by. These have a unique tuning and you may find your preference change over time.

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #4,526 of 4,891
Hope you enjoy them! I know many prefer the aftermarket pads, but I’d encourage you to also try the stock pads. Especially after time goes by. These have a unique tuning and you may find your preference change over time.
Agreed, I didn't like the stock pads at first but I stuck with them for about a week and now I love them, I know people say the sheepskin pads raise the bass but I get plenty of bass for my tastes and they sound about as perfect as a closed back can to my ears! Definitely give them a bit with the stock pads!

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #4,527 of 4,891
To me the Elegia sounded cold and hollow with a metallic touch on the timbre.
You have to EQ a lot to make those sound good in my opinion.

The Elex on the other hand sounded much better. Sadly these are the ones with the driver issues...
As someone who's owned both, the Elex is another universe compared to Elegia. Way better. But it is open back.

I kind of like the Elegia metallic timbre. Can make some edm more exciting. But yeah it doesn't sound natural without EQ

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #4,528 of 4,891
Anyway, cheers.
Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

It is totally up to you on how you work with your own equipment, but I would highly suggest that you listen to the Elegia exclusively for at least the first week, if not a bit longer. If you aren't used to the sound of these, but are used to the B&W sound, you may or may not love them in the beginning (B&W house sound is a LOT different), and you may not hear their quality for what they are until your brain gets used to the difference. As always though, YMMV. :wink:

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #4,529 of 4,891
Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

It is totally up to you on how you work with your own equipment, but I would highly suggest that you listen to the Elegia exclusively for at least the first week, if not a bit longer. If you aren't used to the sound of these, but are used to the B&W sound, you may or may not love them in the beginning (B&W house sound is a LOT different), and you may not hear their quality for what they are until your brain gets used to the difference. As always though, YMMV. :wink:
Absolutely! I was used to the Hifiman sound and to say these were a shock to my ears would be a understatement! Very odd the first time I heard them. Now they are tied for first as my most listened to headphones and I can switch freely with different Hifiman headphones and love the differences between them.

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,530 of 4,891
As someone who's owned both, the Elex is another universe compared to Elegia. Way better. But it is open back.

I kind of like the Elegia metallic timbre. Can make some edm more exciting. But yeah it doesn't sound natural without EQ
I second that entirely. I love how the Elegia sounds but it cannot compete with the Elex and its exceptional slam. With the right track + DAC + amp combo, the Elex is definitely endgame material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back