Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Apr 27, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #4,367 of 4,891

I have the Dekoni and I like how it sounds. I have two ZMF suedes, one for my T60rp and one for my HD58X. I love how the one on my Fostex sounds, but I'm not to crazy about how the one on the Sennheiser sounds. Comfort, though, is second-to-none with ZMF suede pads. I have it in my my mind to try the suede pads for my Elegia some day.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #4,368 of 4,891
I'm looking for some new pads for my Elegia. I don't want to add bass, and would like a little more treble extension. What are some readily available options in the US?
I see adapter rings on eBay, and could use some Brainwave pads from Amazon, I just need confirmation of which models work with Elegia.

Has a companion between Dekoni sheepeskin and ZMF suede been posted?
While I have not looked into other brands, Dekoni has FR curves shown for each of their pads that fit the Elegia (no ring needed, it comes with it). There is the solid sheepskin leather, fenestrated sheepskin, Custom Stelia sheepskin, the hybrid sheepskin/velour, and the all velour option (very much like the stock). You can check these out from here.

I personally like to keep the stock and the custom Stelia sheepskin pads available, because they make the headphones sound almost like completely different sets of headphones (IMHO).

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #4,369 of 4,891
While I have not looked into other brands, Dekoni has FR curves shown for each of their pads that fit the Elegia (no ring needed, it comes with it). There is the solid sheepskin leather, fenestrated sheepskin, Custom Stelia sheepskin, the hybrid sheepskin/velour, and the all velour option (very much like the stock). You can check these out from here.

I personally like to keep the stock and the custom Stelia sheepskin pads available, because they make the headphones sound almost like completely different sets of headphones (IMHO).

I have the solid Dekoni sheepskin, and I agree it sounds like a different headphone (i.e. "better") than the stock sound. I'm thinking to get the ZMF before the weather heats up and these leather pads make my head too hot for comfort.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #4,370 of 4,891
I have the solid Dekoni sheepskin, and I agree it sounds like a different headphone (i.e. "better") than the stock sound. I'm thinking to get the ZMF before the weather heats up and these leather pads make my head to hot for comfort.
For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like the more open sound and mid forward of the stock pads, and others I like the more bassy and darker (comparatively speaking) signature of the all leather pads. I would be interested to hear whether the fenestrated land on a happy medium between the two?!

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #4,372 of 4,891
I recently picked a pair. I also own the Bathys and Stellia. I'm still in the process of breaking them in. Out the box, they had a very flat and full sound; quite underwhelming compared to the Stellia and Bathys. After about ten hours of break-in, they had the "Focal" sound, which was a significant improvement and very enjoyable.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #4,373 of 4,891
I've owned the Elegia for about 2 years now. I still think it's one of the best closed backs you can get, especially for the price it's being sold at now (back then, I paid €700). I switch between the Dekoni pads and the OG pads depending on mood.
+1 (though I have had mine for a much shorter time; sometime last year for something like $400).
I recently picked a pair. I also own the Bathys and Stellia. I'm still in the process of breaking them in. Out the box, they had a very flat and full sound; quite underwhelming compared to the Stellia and Bathys. After about ten hours of break-in, they had the "Focal" sound, which was a significant improvement and very enjoyable.
The Elegia have been somewhat polarizing for people. They aren't for everyone, but normally you either love them or dont' at all. And yes, they do take some time to condition, and they exhibit some quite noticeable changes throughout the process (IME).

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #4,374 of 4,891
The last couple months have been a whirlwind for me, discovering good headphones.

I had a pair of ATH-M40x for a while, and realized that it really helped me concentrate while listening to music. I knew this earlier in life, but apparently forgot over the last decade(s).

That led to buying an ifi Zen Dac v2 and HD600. The HD600 are incredible - I think they sound perfect as is. Nothing I do with EQ makes me happier with them, besides a bass boost for electronic music.

Then I got some Philips Fidelio X2HR for my gaming computer, since it's easy to connect a mic. These sound great too, but not quite as good as the HD600. They've got a built-in bass boost, though. :) Super durable, nice and cheap (comparably), and easy to drive.

I bought a pair of Etymotic ER4P to play with IEMs. These sound quite good but take a lot of "practice" to wear for hours at a time.

That left me wanting a new set of headphones for work. I had relegated my M40x to that duty, but they don't fit my ears all that well, and are pretty muddy without EQ.

Adorama's $299 price for Elegias is too good to pass up, so I ordered a pair.

It's incredible how subjective people's opinions are on headphone turning. I don't know what the deal is, but I HATE the stock sound. It sounds like I'm listening to music down a paper towel tube. A really tight, bassy paper towel tube, but entire pieces of the audio spectrum are inaudible.

I do not understand how it's possible these sound good to someone in stock form.

However, I have a Qudelix 5k, and with Oratory1990's EQ settings, they sound *great*. I used the settings from his PDFs linked on reddit, not the AutoEQ settings.
Fixing the bass drop-off at 200hz and the gaping holes in treble make them sound awesome. They're really "tight"? I don't know the words to describe it, I'm too new to headphones. I even dropped the treble modifications in Oratory1990's settings by about 50%, and they still sound good. I don't think I mind rolled-off treble, i just can't handle 10+db holes in bits of it.

So, my impressions:

Horrible stock tuning. It doesn't mutilate music, but it's missing something that's very important to me.
Very controlled low-end. It's powerful, takes to EQ, and doesn't sound strained.
Very comfortable, they don't feel claustrophobic for my ears.
The stock cable is bad. I guess it would be okay for using with a portable audio player, but it's too short for desk usage and pretty rigid.
With EQ, it corrects everything I don't like, and leaves the good parts. These are the best sounding closed-back headphones I've ever tried once EQed.

I may buy a second pair (along with another Qudelix 5k) for bedside use. :)

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #4,375 of 4,891
The last couple months have been a whirlwind for me, discovering good headphones.

I had a pair of ATH-M40x for a while, and realized that it really helped me concentrate while listening to music. I knew this earlier in life, but apparently forgot over the last decade(s).

That led to buying an ifi Zen Dac v2 and HD600. The HD600 are incredible - I think they sound perfect as is. Nothing I do with EQ makes me happier with them, besides a bass boost for electronic music.

Then I got some Philips Fidelio X2HR for my gaming computer, since it's easy to connect a mic. These sound great too, but not quite as good as the HD600. They've got a built-in bass boost, though. :) Super durable, nice and cheap (comparably), and easy to drive.

I bought a pair of Etymotic ER4P to play with IEMs. These sound quite good but take a lot of "practice" to wear for hours at a time.

That left me wanting a new set of headphones for work. I had relegated my M40x to that duty, but they don't fit my ears all that well, and are pretty muddy without EQ.

It's incredible how subjective people's opinions are on headphone turning. I don't know what the deal is, but I HATE the stock sound. It sounds like I'm listening to music down a paper towel tube. A really tight, bassy paper towel tube, but entire pieces of the audio spectrum are inaudible.

I do not understand how it's possible these sound good to someone in stock form.

However, I have a Qudelix 5k, and with Oratory1990's EQ settings, they sound *great*. I used the settings from his PDFs linked on reddit, not the AutoEQ settings.
Fixing the bass drop-off at 200hz and the gaping holes in treble make them sound awesome. They're really "tight"? I don't know the words to describe it, I'm too new to headphones. I even dropped the treble modifications in Oratory1990's settings by about 50%, and they still sound good. I don't think I mind rolled-off treble, i just can't handle 10+db holes in bits of it.

So, my impressions:

Horrible stock tuning. It doesn't mutilate music, but it's missing something that's very important to me.
Very controlled low-end. It's powerful, takes to EQ, and doesn't sound strained.
The stock cable is bad. I guess it would be okay for using with a portable audio player, but it's too short for desk usage and pretty rigid.
With EQ, it corrects everything I don't like, and leaves the good parts. These are the best sounding closed-back headphones I've ever tried once EQed.

I found the stock pads lacking. After trying 3 Dekoni pads I found the “Custom” Stellia pads suit my taste. Good bass, vocals, and treble. I like Jazz mostly, but also enjoy my Tidal workout playlist with lots of bass heavy pop.

I am using Meze 4.4mm cable.

BTW, I found the Elegia took about 100 hours for the drivers to reach optimum flexibility.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #4,376 of 4,891
For me, it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like the more open sound and mid forward of the stock pads, and others I like the more bassy and darker (comparatively speaking) signature of the all leather pads. I would be interested to hear whether the fenestrated land on a happy medium between the two?!
In my case, the fenestrated pads sound much better than stock, and more neutral than the all leather pads. However, I have settled on the Custom Stellia pads. Nice bass boost, without the boomy (Radiance like) sound from the leather and fenestrated pads.

Apr 30, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #4,377 of 4,891

So, my impressions:

Agreed on the subjectivity of sound preference. I neither liked it nor hated it in my case, but after some more listening, these feel quite open, for lack of a better term.

In my case, Oratory’s EQ didn’t help - there were songs that sounded great with those EQ, and songs that sounded worse, so they cancel each other out.

And I’m with you here - can anyone recommend a serviceable, compatible cable that’s balanced and about 2m/7ft(ish) long? I’m open to either Hart Audio, or any select shops on Ali.

May 1, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #4,378 of 4,891
In my case, the fenestrated pads sound much better than stock, and more neutral than the all leather pads. However, I have settled on the Custom Stellia pads. Nice bass boost, without the boomy (Radiance like) sound from the leather and fenestrated pads.
Thanks for the impressions. :)
Agreed on the subjectivity of sound preference. I neither liked it nor hated it in my case, but after some more listening, these feel quite open, for lack of a better term.

In my case, Oratory’s EQ didn’t help - there were songs that sounded great with those EQ, and songs that sounded worse, so they cancel each other out.

And I’m with you here - can anyone recommend a serviceable, compatible cable that’s balanced and about 2m/7ft(ish) long? I’m open to either Hart Audio, or any select shops on Ali.
I have the Hart Audio cable for mine, and it is fantastic (IMHO). For me it was a no brainer. It is very well priced, and of very high quality. If you live in the US it is one of the best options for the money.

May 10, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #4,379 of 4,891
I have recently fallen in love with my Elegias over the LCD-2. I know they are kinda controversial, but I picked up a balanced cable off Amazon for the M11S, and they really are spectacular closed backs. I almost prefer them to my Audezes. I like the sound better than the Bathys, which sound more basic commercial, if that makes sense.

May 10, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #4,380 of 4,891
I have recently fallen in love with my Elegias over the LCD-2. I know they are kinda controversial, but I picked up a balanced cable off Amazon for the M11S, and they really are spectacular closed backs. I almost prefer them to my Audezes. I like the sound better than the Bathys, which sound more basic commercial, if that makes sense.
That’s funny, I did the exact same. Had LCD-X that I thought I loved and just found myself listening to the elegias so much more often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back