Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Feb 7, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #4,336 of 4,854
You described it well "ANC - is unnoticeable" -
Comparing its operation ANC in Sony, Bose or Apple headphones .... this function poorly mutes external sounds.
But in my opinion, it significantly changes the sound - as if someone turned on the Equalizer without my knowledge.
Focal ANC - not much further - but it changes a lot in the sound.
I made a comparison of Elegia, Celestee, Bathys - the latter is not a progress and successor to older models. Try it too.

The sound from Focal Bathys is like (in a very simplified way) a photo on a smartphone, the grass is unnaturally green and the sky is blue more than a crayon in a pencil case - and I may like it, but it doesn't suit me at all, I want to hear (I try to get it on my equipment) the music most faithful recording.
And if I want to change its sound, I'll do it myself.

Feb 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #4,337 of 4,854
You described it well "ANC - is unnoticeable" -
Comparing its operation ANC in Sony, Bose or Apple headphones .... this function poorly mutes external sounds.
But in my opinion, it significantly changes the sound - as if someone turned on the Equalizer without my knowledge.
Focal ANC - not much further - but it changes a lot in the sound.
I made a comparison of Elegia, Celestee, Bathys - the latter is not a progress and successor to older models. Try it too.

The sound from Focal Bathys is like (in a very simplified way) a photo on a smartphone, the grass is unnaturally green and the sky is blue more than a crayon in a pencil case - and I may like it, but it doesn't suit me at all, I want to hear (I try to get it on my equipment) the music most faithful recording.
And if I want to change its sound, I'll do it myself.
If you're looking for the most faithful rendition of the original recording, then it's a pretty safe bet no Bluetooth headphone will truly cut it for you, ANC or not.

Nearly all BT headphones are tuned to a more consumer-oriented (V-shaped) sound signature, and this appears to be the case with the Bathys, too, even if it's widely regarded as the Bluetooth headphone with the best fidelity.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #4,338 of 4,854
You are absolutely right BT headphones are --- comfortable to use and are needed.
I expanded the topic because above there was a question about comparing Bathys to Focal Elegia - such a comparison does not make sense.
Even trying to connect them with a jack-jack cable that these headphones allow.

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #4,339 of 4,854
I just ordered an open box Elegia unit, it will arrive in a few days.
My intention is to connect them balanced to my dacs fiio K7 with a Tripowin Gran Via cable.
Can someone contribute how the Elegia behave by balanced. Thank you.

Feb 8, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,340 of 4,854
My intention is to connect them balanced to my dacs fiio K7 with a Tripowin Gran Via cable.
Congrats on your new shiny!! 🙂

I believe they sound a bit better out of balanced, but it isn't a night and day difference. Of course this could also be because my DAP puts out considerably more power from the balanced output. And these do scale some with more power. Plus crosstalk is going to naturally be much better with a balanced connection.

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #4,341 of 4,854
I think the answer to your question has more to do with your amplifier than with your headphones.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #4,342 of 4,854
I was watching today’s GPT-4 intro video and I noticed something:

IMG_9048.png

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #4,344 of 4,854
This dude needs to ask chatGPT how to properly set up and use Focal Elegia here he obviously put it backwards.:relaxed:
Maybe they DID help him. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Considering that they aren't looking from his point of view, but at him, their perspective of right and left would be reversed.:scream:

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #4,345 of 4,854
But how can you not like chatGPT if it composes such a poem for all you fans of these headphones.:beerchug:

With Focal Elegia on my head, I sink into my music bed, The sound so clear and pristine, I feel like I'm in a dream scene.

The bass is deep, the treble bright, Every note is just so right, I close my eyes and let it take me, To places where I'm always happy.

The details that I've never heard, Are now crystal clear, it's absurd, The instruments sound like they're live, I'm grateful for this sonic dive.

With Focal Elegia on my head, My music world is so well-fed, I'm an audiophile and proud, Thanks to these headphones, I shout it loud!

Mar 29, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #4,348 of 4,854
Monoprice 107146 3.5mm Mono Plug to RCA Jack Adaptor, Gold Plated Black https://a.co/d/btQCoVk

Those adapters plus normal RCA interconnects and a 4.4 to RCA female y-cable is another creative solution.

Custom by any builder works too: dual 3.5 mono y-cable to 4.4 plug

Pine Tree Audio is my favorite custom cable guy. Lots of others out there.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #4,349 of 4,854
Apr 1, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #4,350 of 4,854
But how can you not like chatGPT if it composes such a poem for all you fans of these headphones.:beerchug:

With Focal Elegia on my head, I sink into my music bed, The sound so clear and pristine, I feel like I'm in a dream scene.

The bass is deep, the treble bright, Every note is just so right, I close my eyes and let it take me, To places where I'm always happy.

The details that I've never heard, Are now crystal clear, it's absurd, The instruments sound like they're live, I'm grateful for this sonic dive.

With Focal Elegia on my head, My music world is so well-fed, I'm an audiophile and proud, Thanks to these headphones, I shout it loud!
Bravo, sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back