Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,306 of 4,847
The Dekoni pads offer more sub-bass and a lot more high-medium, but I feel that we lose the intelligence of this headphone, we lose a little bit of detail, but we gain in "airiness", a closer scene, a presence, but I find that the original pads offer so much more "realism", for me, I have never listened to such a beautiful piano, I feel like I'm in front of my own
Great response. I have had my Elegia since Tuesday. I am SO impressed. You said it better than I could. I almost ordered ZMF Focal+ pads. I think the stock pads might be fantastic already. I am losing the urge to roll pads.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #4,307 of 4,847
I have had the headphone for a few days now with the Meze cable.

It's quite confusing, going from a headphone that has a fairly present bass, and highs at the limit of sibilance, to a headphone that has no boosted bass, a rather hollow upper medium...

But the worst thing about all this, after a few days, I am a fan of this headphone, the dynamics, the details, the instruments are extremely well described.

The "lack" of sub-bass is a big plus in truth, it offers so much clarity. Regarding the bass, I've never heard such a smart bass, it's just as good as other headphones, only it's present only when it's needed.

This headphone can be summed up in one word, intelligence, there is no immediate "pleasure", you have to go and find it. But once you understand the idea of this headphone, you say wow, you understand and you don't want to go back.

We understand even more when we go back to a more conventional sound signature. I received the Dekoni Stellia pads today, they are great, but I will be one of the few to stick with the original pads. The Dekoni pads offer more sub-bass and a lot more high-medium, but I feel that we lose the intelligence of this headphone, we lose a little bit of detail, but we gain in "airiness", a closer scene, a presence, but I find that the original pads offer so much more "realism", for me, I have never listened to such a beautiful piano, I feel like I'm in front of my own
I couldn't have put it better myself. I also prefer the stock pads, though I do switch to the stellar pads now and again.

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #4,308 of 4,847
I have had the headphone for a few days now with the Meze cable.

It's quite confusing, going from a headphone that has a fairly present bass, and highs at the limit of sibilance, to a headphone that has no boosted bass, a rather hollow upper medium...

But the worst thing about all this, after a few days, I am a fan of this headphone, the dynamics, the details, the instruments are extremely well described.

The "lack" of sub-bass is a big plus in truth, it offers so much clarity. Regarding the bass, I've never heard such a smart bass, it's just as good as other headphones, only it's present only when it's needed.

This headphone can be summed up in one word, intelligence, there is no immediate "pleasure", you have to go and find it. But once you understand the idea of this headphone, you say wow, you understand and you don't want to go back.

We understand even more when we go back to a more conventional sound signature. I received the Dekoni Stellia pads today, they are great, but I will be one of the few to stick with the original pads. The Dekoni pads offer more sub-bass and a lot more high-medium, but I feel that we lose the intelligence of this headphone, we lose a little bit of detail, but we gain in "airiness", a closer scene, a presence, but I find that the original pads offer so much more "realism", for me, I have never listened to such a beautiful piano, I feel like I'm in front of my own
If you like the stock pads, I think you should try the fenestrated Sheepskin Dekonis. I also like the stock pads and feel like those only improve on the stock sound

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #4,309 of 4,847
If you like the stock pads, I think you should try the fenestrated Sheepskin Dekonis. I also like the stock pads and feel like those only improve on the stock sound

On the other hand, if someone like the stock pads they could save a good hunk of change by just sticking with them.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #4,310 of 4,847
After a year of almost daily use, my Elegia headband busted (as others have experienced). Thankfully Focal repaired them under warranty, and they're due back to me later this week.

My question: any suggestions for shelving, storing, or otherwise supporting these for daily use so that the headband doesn't crack again? I've seen in this thread and elsewhere that some folks have had luck replacing the headband with one from a Hifiman HE400, but I really like the fit and comfort of the Elegia headband, so I'm not in a rush to replace it with one for a totally different headphone. Do I just have a big head? Should I take them off and put them on more gingerly?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,311 of 4,847
After a year of almost daily use, my Elegia headband busted (as others have experienced). Thankfully Focal repaired them under warranty, and they're due back to me later this week.

My question: any suggestions for shelving, storing, or otherwise supporting these for daily use so that the headband doesn't crack again? I've seen in this thread and elsewhere that some folks have had luck replacing the headband with one from a Hifiman HE400, but I really like the fit and comfort of the Elegia headband, so I'm not in a rush to replace it with one for a totally different headphone. Do I just have a big head? Should I take them off and put them on more gingerly?
What kind of stand do you use? Is one of the omega-style stands on which the earpads press against wood a possible culprit, stretching the headband every day?

I ALWAYS use hook/hanger-style headphone stands for two reasons: One, your pads don't compress over time. Two, you avoid stretching of the band, especially if it's a shoddy design like Focal's.

I have Audeze headphones and have owned other cans with suspension headbands. Yes, hanging those on a hook/hanger stand can stretch that material over time, too, but there's an easy solution: Hang the headphone by the metal part of the frame, not the suspension headband.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #4,312 of 4,847
What kind of stand do you use? Is one of the omega-style stands on which the earpads press against wood a possible culprit, stretching the headband every day?

I ALWAYS use hook/hanger-style headphone stands for two reasons: One, your pads don't compress over time. Two, you avoid stretching of the band, especially if it's a shoddy design like Focal's.

I have Audeze headphones and have owned other cans with suspension headbands. Yes, hanging those on a hook/hanger stand can stretch that material over time, too, but there's an easy solution: Hang the headphone by the metal part of the frame, not the suspension headband.
Thanks. I use a toilet paper roll hanger (like this). I was thinking maybe because the drivers are relatively heavy that it might be adding stress to the band over time since it has no other support than at the very apex of the band. I had actually thought maybe one of those Omega-style stands would be better, but you think they'd actually be worse? Bummer. If that's the case, then maybe it snapped just because I use them daily and for extended periods (while I work).

This might sound odd, but maybe it would make sense to figure out a way to hang them upside-down by the drivers rather than rightside-up by the band. Other than looking funny, is there a reason anyone can think of *not* to do this?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #4,313 of 4,847

Thanks. I use a toilet paper roll hanger (like this). I was thinking maybe because the drivers are relatively heavy that it might be adding stress to the band over time since it has no other support than at the very apex of the band. I had actually thought maybe one of those Omega-style stands would be better, but you think they'd actually be worse? Bummer. If that's the case, then maybe it snapped just because I use them daily and for extended periods (while I work).

This might sound odd, but maybe it would make sense to figure out a way to hang them upside-down by the drivers rather than rightside-up by the band. Other than looking funny, is there a reason anyone can think of *not* to do this?
I just put them back in their box. It is not only the best support for them, but it also keeps them from getting dusty and dirty (which we all know the headband can start looking dirty pretty easily).

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,314 of 4,847

I can't see how the weight of the drivers would lead to long-term headband material fatigue. I owned the Elegia -- it's not THAT heavy. If you think the Elegia's drivers and cups are heavy, you should lift any of the Audeze LCD line. :)

I'm not a big fan of the omega-style stands at all, mainly due to pad compression over time. It's bad enough my big dome smooshes pads; I don't want my stand to accelerate that process.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #4,315 of 4,847
Headphone pads do not like to be clamped all the time, after a few months the original pads or Dekoni with memory foam lose their volume, this applies to Omega type stands.
Omega affects the upper part of the headband more gently than the "toilet paper rod" which leaves a mark at the point of contact.
My headphone stand is from König & Meyer about ~~20Euro
My upgrade - I added an additional wider foam under the headband for a larger contact surface (the stand already has a wide own surface).

In Elegia and Clear headphones - the lining of the headband is elegant, but unfortunately it gets dirty very quickly.
How to protect it?
My solution is 1.5 pieces (one needs to be cut in half to cover the entire headband, you need to skillfully tie them cut the elastics in half) - black protective masks probably everyone has them at home.
Cheap, aesthetic, easy to replace, the head does not sweat, the layer is thin, almost imperceptible, opposite to those thick ones with a zipper, which are not comfortable and wrinkle at the bends.
Why do we care about headphones? - because we love them :L3000: and never say never that you won't sell them in the future and buy others.:gs1000smile:

Attachments

• FOCAL ELGIA STAND.jpg
    FOCAL ELGIA STAND.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Jan 24, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #4,316 of 4,847
Headphone pads do not like to be clamped all the time, after a few months the original pads or Dekoni with memory foam lose their volume, this applies to Omega type stands.
Omega affects the upper part of the headband more gently than the "toilet paper rod" which leaves a mark at the point of contact.
My headphone stand is from König & Meyer about ~~20Euro
My upgrade - I added an additional wider foam under the headband for a larger contact surface (the stand already has a wide own surface).

In Elegia and Clear headphones - the lining of the headband is elegant, but unfortunately it gets dirty very quickly.
How to protect it?
My solution is 1.5 pieces (one needs to be cut in half to cover the entire headband, you need to skillfully tie them cut the elastics in half) - black protective masks probably everyone has them at home.
Cheap, aesthetic, easy to replace, the head does not sweat, the layer is thin, almost imperceptible, opposite to those thick ones with a zipper, which are not comfortable and wrinkle at the bends.
Why do we care about headphones? - because we love them :L3000: and never say never that you won't sell them in the future and buy others.:gs1000smile:
Huh. Yeah. That wider, curved stand looks like it might be a better idea than my current rod--not because the rod leaves a mark (I never noticed one after a year), but because the broader curved support looks like it would better distribute the stress across more of the headband. Based on the weak point where the Elegia band cracked (and looks like it has cracked for others), I can imagine that a stand with a larger and wider contact area would put less stress and at less of an angle on that weak point (where thin plastic connects to metal). Dunno. Maybe?

I'll probably take a dual-pronged approach. As a preventative measure, I'll invest in a stand like that König & Meyer one (I see similar ones going for $10-$20 here in the States). And just in case, I'll pick up a Hifiman suspension band if the replacement one from Focal breaks (and in case Hifiman stops producing the HE400i bands sometime in the near future). The spare band is a somewhat pricey "just-in-case" investment at $75, but I'd have additional peace of mind.

Not too concerned about discoloration on the band. Not only do I never see it, but the preventative measures are far uglier than any stain itself. As for resale value, I bought my pair open-boxed ($600) before the last big price drop ($400), so I've already taken a big hit on recouping any of my initial investment. I'll be taking these to my grave!
I just put them back in their box. It is not only the best support for them, but it also keeps them from getting dusty and dirty (which we all know the headband can start looking dirty pretty easily).
I would, but since I use them daily (and take them off repeatedly throughout the workday) it's just not feasible or practical.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #4,317 of 4,847
You're right, such sweat protection does not add charm to the headphones.
On the other hand, after a few months of using Focal Clear or Elegia especially on hot days/months,
it is not very appetizing and not very hygienic to put on something like a sweaty T-shirt after many sports trainings.:sweat:

Maybe it doesn't matter when the headphones are in our possession all the time, but if bought second-hand, it's worse.
My solution with protective masks works for me, I also have no comments if one of my colleagues wants to borrow them for testing for a few days,
and they also feel comfortable.
Full sheepskin Dekoni pads (improves the sound of the original velor pads) - These Dekoni pads are also easy to clean.

If Focal solved the padding of the headband with a different quality of leather, not suede,
or gave the opportunity to buy and replace only the strap itself, then this element would be often bought.

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #4,318 of 4,847
I’ve had my pair for almost 3 years. I hang them on a 3 inch wide slightly curved hanger. Every time I hang them up I center the hanger on a different part of the headband. I feel like this does a good job of more evenly distributing pressure over time. I’m also in the “take these to my grave” camp so I don’t use a headband cover. I have used water to slightly clean them, and while they don’t look like a new pair, they look ok to me. That said I’d recommend anyone who thinks they may sell them at some point to use a cover.

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #4,319 of 4,847
Huh. Yeah. That wider, curved stand looks like it might be a better idea than my current rod--not because the rod leaves a mark (I never noticed one after a year), but because the broader curved support looks like it would better distribute the stress across more of the headband. Based on the weak point where the Elegia band cracked (and looks like it has cracked for others), I can imagine that a stand with a larger and wider contact area would put less stress and at less of an angle on that weak point (where thin plastic connects to metal). Dunno. Maybe?

I'll probably take a dual-pronged approach. As a preventative measure, I'll invest in a stand like that König & Meyer one (I see similar ones going for $10-$20 here in the States). And just in case, I'll pick up a Hifiman suspension band if the replacement one from Focal breaks (and in case Hifiman stops producing the HE400i bands sometime in the near future). The spare band is a somewhat pricey "just-in-case" investment at $75, but I'd have additional peace of mind.

Not too concerned about discoloration on the band. Not only do I never see it, but the preventative measures are far uglier than any stain itself. As for resale value, I bought my pair open-boxed ($600) before the last big price drop ($400), so I've already taken a big hit on recouping any of my initial investment. I'll be taking these to my grave!

I would, but since I use them daily (and take them off repeatedly throughout the workday) it's just not feasible or practical.
While you aren't the first person that I have read having this "breakage" issue, it does seem strange. It MUST be a QC issue because from my experience with mine, the headband is super solid, and I just can't see it breaking that easily.

Also, from what I said earlier, I almost forgot that I actually have another option to place mine in an easy way where the weight is distributed across the whole headband. I just don't use it that way (apparently being absent minded is listed as one of my strengths LOL).

Based on someone's recommendation on this thread, I got this from Amazon to protect the headband it also has an eyelet for hanging them up on just a hook (even a banana rack will do the trick nicely LOL):

Edit: If you are interested in one of these, make sure you get the 2 1/2" model as the others will not fit.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #4,320 of 4,847
One thing I want to warn new owners is that while the stock pads are not affected by any sort of glasses (IME), the Dekoni Custom Stelia pads are. With thin wire arms they aren't, but anything with larger arms will lift them away from your head JUST enough to break the seal and affect the bass reproduction on these by a noticeable amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back