Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #2,806 of 4,854
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #2,807 of 4,854
Jul 13, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,808 of 4,854
Jul 13, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #2,809 of 4,854
Hey my fellow Elegians!
I just got back a brand-new replacement set from Focal since the upper headband 'leather' got very sticky after about 18 month of use (maybe softeners in the fake-leather?).
So I am kinda curious what to do now since I occasionally prefer the Elegia to be EQ'ed to Harmann target recently (Oratory1990) and would like to have a little better overall material quality, feel and look.
  1. dismiss Elegia and try the Celestee (best looking to me, semi-aniline leather, but also micro-fibre dis-colourable headband)
  2. dismiss Elegia and try the Radiance (good looking, full-grain leather, criss-crossed micro-fibre material? that is maybe dis-colourable too, best isolation, more different tuning)
  3. get Dekoni Elite Sheepskin (or even Dekoni Stellia Limited) pads for the Elegia (cheapest option, but headband material and look does not change)
  4. skip the flavor of the month and just use the stock Elegia as it is and apply EQ when needed
Options and opinions?

I had the exact same kinda purchase dilemma. I really like the look of the Radiance and Celestee (in that order, Elegia 3rd place). However I can't justify spending that much on something that I'm not sure if I will like the sound of. So I've decided to by a cheap used Elegia and try it out, and I will buy some Dekoni Sheepskin pads, and try EQ if necessary. The thing is I'm after a neutralish headphone but one that responds to EQ without distortion will be nice.

The Elegia is meant to be the most neutral of the bunch, measurements are close to that of the Focal Clear. Even if people say they sound totally different (of course... open vs closed. Not sure how true it is but the fact that the Elegia is meant to have a wider soundstage than the other closed backs is a bonus.

Also I couldn't wear something with a Bentley logo lol. And I think the blue/gold/copper of the Celestee may also not age too well. It screams luxury but also is nowhere near as impressive looking as the new Clear MG etc (to me personally anyway).

And that's the thing... if I like characteristics of the Elegia... I think I would rather spend a large chunk of change on one of their open backs like the Clear MG.

Jul 16, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #2,810 of 4,854
OK, so I got my Elegias in the mail today, along with my Dekoni Sheepskin elite pads, AND the THX789 Amp (all from different places)! First proper headphone amp I've had in years. Feeding it from my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. Not balanced yet - need to find a nice 4pin XLR cable for the Elegia. Anyone got some suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg? I saw one cheaper option on amazon that looked decent.

First impressions.
After listening to one song on my Fostex THX00 and then switching to the Elegia with the stock pads my initial impression was that it sounded a bit hollow, and definitely lacking bass presence. Maybe this is because I wear glasses. I put the Dekoni pads on immediately and noticed more bass quantity and still super tight and punchy. I get what Focal is all about now... clean, clear, tight and impactful. Kick drums sound unique. Although sometimes a little lacking in some way (may that is the little dip around 200hz I've heard about/seen in measurements). Treble is super detailed but not sibilant or fatigueing like I've heard from some cans like Beyers in the past.

I listened to a common bass test track for me, 'Mezzanine' by Massive Attack. Bass is all there down to the deep sub. It doesn't get muddy. The kick stands out from the sub bass nicely. The vocals are definitely forward on these cans but in a good way. Instrument detail (guitars! strums and plucks... piano hits!) and separation is fantastic.
James Blake's voice in 'Limit to Your Love' sounds better than ever, and these drivers handle the constant sub wubs well. The longer sub bass notes in the second half of the track are all there at a constant level, never do they seem to drop in volume.

They are amazing for acoustic music. An album I've been loving lately is the new one by Rising Appalachia "The Lost Mystique of Being in the Know". Beautiful soulful folk music. Highly recommended.
On my studio monitors (Adam A7X) a little magic is lacking. The album sounded natural and alive on my little PSB speakers and the same goes for the Elegias. It was alll recorded in one long studio session and it is really well mixed. Absolutely love the first track 'Catalyst', and 'Clay'. The way the Elegias layer the vocals/mids and the imaging in the stereo field is wonderful. Reverb and echo are really beautiful and I think that could be an advantage for closed backs in some ways. The sense of the recording room and the way it was mixed are really evident.

Hiatus Kaiyote is one of my favourite bands (from my hometown Melbourne) and also great for testing, especially dynamics and tracks that have very smooth relaxing quiet sections and then BAM into some impact (both vocalist and instruments).

The soundstage is better than I expected; really good for closed cans. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm wearing closed backs.

They look better than I thought too. The metallic details really stand out in person. Wore them on a zoom call and I love that they aren't super large/wide like Fostex's and other big closed backs. They definitely isolate pretty well too (huge difference to Fostex semi-closed), and thus cut out computer fan noise and even a lot of keyboard clicky clacky.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me some pointers/feedback and helped me make the decision to grab these. I'm loving them and I think I'm going to hold onto them for some time. Can't wait to try some mild EQ tomorrow.

The only downside thus far is that wearing them for hours at a time the clamp is a little uncomfortable behind my ears. Could just be positioning; hopefully I'll figure that out. My ears are quite big but they don't feel cramped/squished.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #2,811 of 4,854
OK, so I got my Elegias in the mail today, along with my Dekoni Sheepskin elite pads, AND the THX789 Amp (all from different places)! First proper headphone amp I've had in years. Feeding it from my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4. Not balanced yet - need to find a nice 4pin XLR cable for the Elegia. Anyone got some suggestions that don't cost an arm and a leg? I saw one cheaper option on amazon that looked decent.

First impressions.
After listening to one song on my Fostex THX00 and then switching to the Elegia with the stock pads my initial impression was that it sounded a bit hollow, and definitely lacking bass presence. Maybe this is because I wear glasses. I put the Dekoni pads on immediately and noticed more bass quantity and still super tight and punchy. I get what Focal is all about now... clean, clear, tight and impactful. Kick drums sound unique. Although sometimes a little lacking in some way (may that is the little dip around 200hz I've heard about/seen in measurements). Treble is super detailed but not sibilant or fatigueing like I've heard from some cans like Beyers in the past.

I listened to a common bass test track for me, 'Mezzanine' by Massive Attack. Bass is all there down to the deep sub. It doesn't get muddy. The kick stands out from the sub bass nicely. The vocals are definitely forward on these cans but in a good way. Instrument detail (guitars! strums and plucks... piano hits!) and separation is fantastic.
James Blake's voice in 'Limit to Your Love' sounds better than ever, and these drivers handle the constant sub wubs well. The longer sub bass notes in the second half of the track are all there at a constant level, never do they seem to drop in volume.

They are amazing for acoustic music. An album I've been loving lately is the new one by Rising Appalachia "The Lost Mystique of Being in the Know". Beautiful soulful folk music. Highly recommended.
On my studio monitors (Adam A7X) a little magic is lacking. The album sounded natural and alive on my little PSB speakers and the same goes for the Elegias. It was alll recorded in one long studio session and it is really well mixed. Absolutely love the first track 'Catalyst', and 'Clay'. The way the Elegias layer the vocals/mids and the imaging in the stereo field is wonderful. Reverb and echo are really beautiful and I think that could be an advantage for closed backs in some ways. The sense of the recording room and the way it was mixed are really evident.

Hiatus Kaiyote is one of my favourite bands (from my hometown Melbourne) and also great for testing, especially dynamics and tracks that have very smooth relaxing quiet sections and then BAM into some impact (both vocalist and instruments).

The soundstage is better than I expected; really good for closed cans. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm wearing closed backs.

They look better than I thought too. The metallic details really stand out in person. Wore them on a zoom call and I love that they aren't super large/wide like Fostex's and other big closed backs. They definitely isolate pretty well too (huge difference to Fostex semi-closed), and thus cut out computer fan noise and even a lot of keyboard clicky clacky.

Thanks to everyone here who gave me some pointers/feedback and helped me make the decision to grab these. I'm loving them and I think I'm going to hold onto them for some time. Can't wait to try some mild EQ tomorrow.

The only downside thus far is that wearing them for hours at a time the clamp is a little uncomfortable behind my ears. Could just be positioning; hopefully I'll figure that out. My ears are quite big but they don't feel cramped/squished.

I am glad you're enjoying them, they respond quite well to EQ too from the little experimenting that I did just to see whether they tick that box too, so there is a rather high probability that you'll make them "yours" even more 😉...

p.s. try "Flight to LAPD" on them and your Fostex from the Blade Runner 2049 OST and let me know what you think

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,813 of 4,854
How much does sound change with the dekoni pads?
While you don't specify which pads specifically, they have all been discussed numerous times throughout the thread. A search will likely provide good information, and will at a minimum help you decide which ones might catch your eye.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #2,816 of 4,854
I am glad you're enjoying them, they respond quite well to EQ too from the little experimenting that I did just to see whether they tick that box too, so there is a rather high probability that you'll make them "yours" even more 😉...

p.s. try "Flight to LAPD" on them and your Fostex from the Blade Runner 2049 OST and let me know what you think
Nice - 2049 is one of my reference bass tracks as well. In Mesa in particular, sub bass kicks in within the first two seconds - so you will know right away whether your cans can do subwoofer-grade bass or not.

Tl;dr: with the Dekonis, the Elegia sounds and feels like it has a subwoofer, yet remains tuneful and composed.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #2,818 of 4,854
Nice - 2049 is one of my reference bass tracks as well. In Mesa in particular, sub bass kicks in within the first two seconds - so you will know right away whether your cans can do subwoofer-grade bass or not.

Tl;dr: with the Dekonis, the Elegia sounds and feels like it has a subwoofer, yet remains tuneful and composed.
What other headphones are in the same class as the Elegias with Dekoni sheepskins? After trying the A2 Noires and lcd2 closed, I’m scared I’ve found my endgame in a discontinued headphone.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #2,819 of 4,854
What other headphones are in the same class as the Elegias with Dekoni sheepskins? After trying the A2 Noires and lcd2 closed, I’m scared I’ve found my endgame in a discontinued headphone.
That's funny, as I'm actually selling my Elegias after finding I prefer the Aeon Flow RTs and LCD-2 closed 🙂 They're good headphones, no question there, just not getting any time any more.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #2,820 of 4,854
That's funny, as I'm actually selling my Elegias after finding I prefer the Aeon Flow RTs and LCD-2 closed 🙂 They're good headphones, no question there, just not getting any time any more.
Off topic, but the Aeon Flow RTs are my closed headphones of choice for gaming. I found the directional audio superb. What the Aeon 2 Noires gained in bass response , they lost in pinpoint directionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back