Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 17, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #2,596 of 4,854
Hi, could you share your EQ profile for the Elegia?
I use Roon's EQ and a few days ago I noticed something strange. I have an EQ profile for my Abyss Diana V2 with a Low Shelf at 35Hz of +8.0db. However, I turn in on/off and I almost don't hear any difference. Then, I turned off the Roon EQ and I added a +4db in the RME ADI-2 DAC and the difference was much clearer than when I had it in Roon...

Just as a side note, the Diana V2 does not really have useable output at 35hz and has very high rates of bass distortion if you happen to listen loud. See ASR's measurements. So chasing after improving it at 35hz and below may not get you anywhere.

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,597 of 4,854
Just as a side note, the Diana V2 does not really have useable output at 35hz and has very high rates of bass distortion if you happen to listen loud. See ASR's measurements. So chasing after improving it at 35hz and below may not get you anywhere.
Yeap, I am afraid you might be right.

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #2,601 of 4,854
Thanks for posting this, descloud! Looking forward to giving it a listen.
I actually have to ask, which EQ profile from Resolve are you using? At first I tried the one on his video review, but I recently found out he posted a different one on headphones.com. Which one are you currently using if I may ask?

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,603 of 4,854
I actually have to ask, which EQ profile from Resolve are you using? At first I tried the one on his video review, but I recently found out he posted a different one on headphones.com. Which one are you currently using if I may ask?

I did some digging myself and it looks like the EQ settings he posts in the thread on headphones.com is newer and a refinement of the settings on his video. Just got a pair and I definitely prefer oratory1990's EQ settings.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,604 of 4,854

I use the settings from his video review (below). I'll need to try out the ones from the forum and compare.

elegia_eq.jpg

Jan 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,605 of 4,854
I use the settings from his video review (below). I'll need to try out the ones from the forum and compare.

elegia_eq.jpg
I tried his EQ profile on the forum, but it sounded really similar to his video one. It sounds somewhat V-shaped to my ears for some reason, but that's how I hear it unfortunately.

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #2,607 of 4,854
I agree that it tunes the Elegia into more of a V shape but, IMHO these headphones need it because the mids are way too forward by default.
Well, I agree that the EQ applied should be somewhat V-shaped to compensate for the mid-forward tuning, but after applying the EQ Resolve did, it made them overall V-shaped (so it went over what I would consider balanced).

Curious how you find my initial EQ profile? I made some more changes today on Equalizer APO. I usually use PulseEffects because I'm mostly on Linux, and I noticed there are some differences in how the tonality changes with the frequency bands between the two programs. If you're interested and have some feedback, I'm open to hearing it! Note that I don't wear glasses so the bass EQ is just right for me.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,609 of 4,854

Users who are viewing this thread

Back