Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 19, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,771 of 4,854
I was hoping for better outside noise isolation but I wish this thread came with a Warning or guide for these headphones.

Warning: upon opening your brand new focal elegia proceed to the cable, find the nearest scissors maim said cable and throw in trash. Literally the biggest piece of crap I've ever witnessed in the audio world. I've never witnessed a product go from a 200 dollar sounding headphone, msrped over 1000 dollars to a arguably 2000 dollar headphone just by replacing its Cable.

Yea original cable was trash for me... but because of channel imbalance that it introduced after a couple days of using it(yikes!). Grabbed a cheap cable online and channel issues disappeared. I have not tried one of the more boutique cables, because I personally can't notice a cable difference unless there's channel weirdness or 'fuzziness' caused--but even with that as a caveat, the original cable is terrible, look, feel, and functionality all poor IMO.

Jun 19, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,772 of 4,854
Interesting to hear the cable impressions SQ wise. I agree with the above that these headphones show up poor quality recordings, and finding a bit of sibilence here and there.
I have a Neomusica cable coming from Amazon so will be interesting to do a comparison when I get it.

Jun 19, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,773 of 4,854
So just had a listen with my set up and the Cardas cable and compared to my friends Focal Clear Pro. I can say that the Elegia is a good 85% of what the Clear does. The Clear has the more open soundstage, slightly more details and a touch more clarity but for the Elegia to get close is impressive. With stock earpads, the Elegia is still 85% there but clarity comes up a bit and maybe soundstage opens up a touch but with the Dekoni Sheepskin and Cardas combo it's jusy a whole different beast. The low end and fullness for me is superior to the Clear, while mids and treble work is a better on the clear. 😁 But I then tried the Cardas cable on the Clear Pro and thats a different story, but I can certainly say. Wow. I need a pair of the Clears.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,774 of 4,854
I know the Cardas is expensive, and I will probably order one myself as the stock cables are horrible, but surely it cannot be making the differences you are describing. The way you are describing this cable it's changing the sound of the headphone. If I was to try and out a number on it, it's like you're saying this cables makes it sound 20%-30% 'better'.

As I have the RME ADI-2 I applied EQ from u/oratory1990 on Reddit and they absolutely make a 20%-30% different to the sound (better or worse each individual should decide), but a cable? I don't mean this to sound rude, but it seems extreme. A2A have some of these cables for demo, so I will go in and see for myself with my Elegia. Only way to really tell.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #1,775 of 4,854
I know the Cardas is expensive, and I will probably order one myself as the stock cables are horrible, but surely it cannot be making the differences you are describing. The way you are describing this cable it's changing the sound of the headphone. If I was to try and out a number on it, it's like you're saying this cables makes it sound 20%-30% 'better'.

As I have the RME ADI-2 I applied EQ from u/oratory1990 on Reddit and they absolutely make a 20%-30% different to the sound (better or worse each individual should decide), but a cable? I don't mean this to sound rude, but it seems extreme. A2A have some of these cables for demo, so I will go in and see for myself with my Elegia. Only way to really tell.
The stock cable if that's what your using is just that horrible. A good cable vs better cable you won't hear much of a difference if any.

Jun 20, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #1,776 of 4,854

I ain't saying 20% or 30% haha. But defs a good improvement overall. With all stock the Elegia gets about 80% close to what the Clear can do, obviously one being open the other being closed, the Clear will have the more spacious and open soundstage with that touch of clarity and detail. But the Cardas did make a nice noticeable difference to what the Elegia can already do. I do hear an improvement in the low end tightness, extension and imapact while mids feel more lush and full while clarity to my ear also feels improved. Treble seems to have gained a touch more energy while being smoother and same goes for spacial acoustics in the overall sound such as soundstage and imaging. It all seems to have improved. Yes to me it feels like a 5% to 10% improvement but not certainly 20% or 30%. A cable will never do that. I said in my earlier post, I am not much of a cable person and if you want to change the sound, dac/amp or earpad swap will do the biggest change. But I do feel that the Cardas cable did do a nice improvement. But it still certainly isn't a Focal Clear and never will be because, one is closed, other is open and overall different tuning. But to my ear, it has come closer but still not there. But for a closed back, mighty impressive :). Sorry if I may have confused you in my earlier post. I also did say that the mids and highs are still superior on the Clear on my earlier posts. But I do feel the Elegia comes close but obviously the Clear have a wider and bigger soundstage, a touch more depth, a bit more detail and clarity. But with the Cardas cable and Dekoni Sheepskin earpads, I do find the low end on the Elegia to be superior to my ear.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #1,777 of 4,854
The stock cable if that's what your using is just that horrible. A good cable vs better cable you won't hear much of a difference if any.
And I do agree, I do feel that the stock cable seems to muffle the sound a bit. Comparing my Dyson Audio cable to the Cardas Parsec is a different story. I do prefer the Parsec for it's fullness and that touch of more clarity and airy feel but is it needed to spend so much on a cable? I say no. Unless you'll be using it with other headphones as well which in my case I will :).

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,778 of 4,854
I got my balanced silver dragon cable for my Elegia's yesterday. Initial impressions are that it's a very good pairing. Clarity and detail are enhanced and bass is tighter.

IMG_0458.jpg

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #1,780 of 4,854
Jun 20, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #1,782 of 4,854
Appreciate the responses guys - I’m not here to judge. I do think however if you really want to improve the sound, look into EQ. After applying Oratory’s settings, it’s literally like the Elegia was muffled and muted prior, when it obviously isn’t.

I will add that I’m new to this hobby, but in 3 months I’ve auditioned anything and everything from Elegia to Utopia, Audeze, Hifiman, etc. I’ve also purchased the HD800S and I’m about to pick up the Z1R. I’ve learned a lot in that time.

I’m actually considering my Elegia and jumping in the Stellia while I can from A2A - I like it that much. The speed from Beryllium is next level.

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,783 of 4,854
Elegias arrived this morning and they haven't been off my head since! Absolutely love them! Really comfortable, almost don't know I have them on, other than the amazing sound in my ears! I keep getting lost in the music. I have no idea how to describe the soundstage, separation, sonic signature, 'boombasticness' etc however I am finding the mix of lows, mids, highs perfect, no individual element overpowers anything else. It is fantastic honing into just one element at a time, the strings, the piano, the base, etc and then just sitting back and letting it all wash over me again.
The case is huge!, but all quality items from the outer box through to the travel case. The cable, to me isn't an issue. It is fairly short, but I am only ever listening to a DAP so doesn't seem to bother me. If I was critical, the cable is a little stiff, but again not worried too much. So far, the sound through the stock cable is fantastic.
Going back to listening with a big smile on my face :o2smile:

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,784 of 4,854
Is there any other differences you noticed that the Silver Dragon cable has done to the sound? I understand they won't be massive changes but for sure noticeable :) and how is the build of the cable? Sturdy and flexible?
Yes, the midrange is a lot cleaner, clearer sound. Instruments seem to be better spaced apart. The bass seems more focused now. It's not less of it, but the bass seems to be more controlled, more taunt. Dynamics were already very good on the Elegia, but now they sound snappier and more crisp. The cable itself is more flexible, better built. It's not as pretty as a braided Litz cable but the sound quality is much improved.

Jun 20, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #1,785 of 4,854
Appreciate the responses guys - I’m not here to judge. I do think however if you really want to improve the sound, look into EQ. After applying Oratory’s settings, it’s literally like the Elegia was muffled and muted prior, when it obviously isn’t.

I will add that I’m new to this hobby, but in 3 months I’ve auditioned anything and everything from Elegia to Utopia, Audeze, Hifiman, etc. I’ve also purchased the HD800S and I’m about to pick up the Z1R. I’ve learned a lot in that time.

I’m actually considering my Elegia and jumping in the Stellia while I can from A2A - I like it that much. The speed from Beryllium is next level.
Honestly if I were you, give the Hifiman Arya a try. I personally like it more than the Stellia. I am either considering the Focal Clear or Arya but honestly am leaning towards the Arya. Amazing speed and soundstage with great clarity and detail, but the Focal has the amazing dynamics and bass slam. I think go for an open can though :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back