Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 9, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,111 of 4,854
to each his own. i've found that changing headphones affects the sound of what i'm listening to considerably more than changing dacs or amps. i'll leave the subject of cables for others to opine about.
I agree with Sped because many people.here and other places always undervalue their amp/dac set ups in the chain as if it doesnt affect sound in certain sets of cans as we evaluate them. We always do say that certain cans pair better with certain amps and or sources,and vice versa...this is no different. Quick example..my lowly Beyers with my Teac P50 sounds okay,but not great..with the Aune B---it's sublime. It's not even close. So, both can power the 770s fine, but the sound sig from each is drastically different. Ce la vie!!!

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,112 of 4,854
I agree with Sped because many people.here and other places always undervalue their amp/dac set ups in the chain as if it doesnt affect sound in certain sets of cans as we evaluate them. We always do say that certain cans pair better with certain amps and or sources,and vice versa...this is no different. Quick example..my lowly Beyers with my Teac P50 sounds okay,but not great..with the Aune B---it's sublime. It's not even close. So, both can power the 770s fine, but the sound sig from each is drastically different. Ce la vie!!!
i wasn't suggesting that changing dacs or amps doesn't affect the sound. i said that it doesn't affect the sound as much as changing headphones ime.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,113 of 4,854
Dacs etc. affect the sound I can believe that. But listening in the morning, and comparing that to a listening session in the evening is probably the thing that will have the most effect. Your ears are more fresh in the morning then after a days of work in the evening. It's a pretty big difference. I tend to do most critical listening for my music productions for final touches on the mix during mornings.

May 28, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #1,114 of 4,854

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #1,116 of 4,854
I am new to this Forum. I do not want to disturb but I can not find information on heating these headphones. I use them for over 100 hours. Is that enough? I'm not happy with the sound. I am asking for advice.
I think you mean burn in. If you dislike them after 100 hours, you should return them and try different headphones.

Jun 1, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,117 of 4,854
I think you mean burn in. If you dislike them after 100 hours, you should return them and try different headphones.
Totally agree. The idea that a headphone's signature can go from something you don't like to one that you do like simply from theoretical mechanical changes in the driver from use is pretty hard to believe can be possible. After 100 hours, yep you know by then what the headphone is about and whether or not it works for you.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #1,118 of 4,854

All my headphones after 100-200 hours of playing have become better. It is difficult to compare Focal Elegia to Focal Utopia. They are divided by a chasm. however, warming up all the headphones helped. - The sound became open and damp.
As I like it :wink:

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #1,119 of 4,854
All my headphones after 100-200 hours of playing have become better. It is difficult to compare Focal Elegia to Focal Utopia. They are divided by a chasm. however, warming up all the headphones helped. - The sound became open and damp.
What is it that makes it better after so many hours? And interesting that all of those headphones got better after 100-200 hours, or did you just assume that they got better because you believed they would since at that point you could no longer tell what they sounded like out of the box? Just playing devil's advocate here, not trying to rile.

Jun 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,120 of 4,854
I am new to this Forum. I do not want to disturb but I can not find information on heating these headphones. I use them for over 100 hours. Is that enough? I'm not happy with the sound. I am asking for advice.
The sound won't change that much after burn in. These headphones are easy to drive but a decent amplifier does these headphones a lot of good; especially balanced. And if you want more presence in the low end changing the pads to Dekoni sheepskin helps. But these headphones do have a unique sound signature and if it's not the one you're looking for I would look elsewhere. But given how comfortable and good-looking these headphones are it is a hard set to part with.

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #1,121 of 4,854
This might be from some interest for you:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-pro-vs-focal-elegia/714/726
I came across this a few days ago, because I got the DT1770 back into my stable. Maybe that one is more to your liking.

Jun 2, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,122 of 4,854
Thank you for your kind reply. Best wishes.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,124 of 4,854
I just got the elegias on the mail
first impressions (opinions, not "facts"):
- the cable it's terrible as people say. mainly because of the rigidity. changed it after 10 minutes
- the are tighter than the elears but still can use them for hours
- they feel hotter than all my other headphones (elears, LCD2, denon d600, momentum 2, hd650). my ears are starting to sweat after 3 hours
- bass it's there. really there. around 100hz I feel the bass it's a bit boomy, but other than that it's great. (RTJ sounds righteous, Igorrr goes to 11)
- the mids are ****ing weird. I think the problem with these headphones are the middy mids. first time ever I eq a pair of headphones to have less 1000hz
- so far it's been really tough to eq them to my liking (using APO, nahimic 2). can't get the voices to sound deep. the problem area to me are the freqs where the mids and lows meet
- greatest with metal (fast crap like KoK crown of the kings sounds killer)
- the soundstage feels smaller than the elears. the imaging it's great but maybe a bit worse than the elears? can't remember clearly, my elears suddenly died last year and didn't want to spend almost 500€ to replace the drivers
- they leak a bit of sound. with music on I can still hear the sound of the fans of my laptop when set to high. when not playing music I can hear some street noise (I live on a 9th floor) and my bedroom fan that it's not really loud and it's like 2 meters away

I like how they sound, but they're weird sounding. I could send them back but I'm 99% sure I'll keep them. even, I see me using them without eq. maybe.
so far I feel the soundstage and imaging on the denon d600 are better. the bass of course it's bigger on the d600. if only those didn't have crappy highs... I wouldn't be spending money on new closed headphones
well there are no perfect headphones (that I've tried), but these are not bad. don't have light bass, detail is great, easy to drive, are really fast, electric guitars sound like what I hear from my guitar amps

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #1,125 of 4,854
Great impressions, Mr H. I agree with a lot of what you said. The Elegia is definitely the type of headphone worth auditioning over reading FR charts and stuff. And even though in recent months, my ears have been spoiled by the Stellia, I still find the Elegia to sound and perform really well for the price. Easily one of the very best closed-backs under a grand.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back