Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #451 of 4,840
Opinions are all over the place, heading in different directions. I wonder if the Elegia is of a particular taste, which some like and other do not.

Nov 3, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #452 of 4,840
Opinions are all over the place, heading in different directions. I wonder if the Elegia is of a particular taste, which some like and other do not.
It's definitely not for those into Beats (or lots of bass or hard hitting bass) that's for sure, but also, you really can't get away from closed no matter what people say. The mids to upper-registers have have bit of unfocused response due to closed resonance. The treble has that graininess due to defuse from closed resonance I believe.

The bass has impact, but not as hard as the other models or warm.

At least it's closer to Clear than Elear or Elex, but still others being open-backs and I also believe they have better drivers as well.

Good thing this has going is that it can be driven to it's full potential from a DAP. It's a portable headphone and closed (plenty of closed headphones out there at various price ranges), but not in look as it looks like the other models. Don't be placebo'd by it's looks (looking like others in the family).

The bad is, it's another steep price Focal. $899 is too much. Definitely not a value. I want Sennheiser to come up with HD6-- closed-back that sounds like HD6XX.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #453 of 4,840
It's definitely not for those into Beats (or lots of bass or hard hitting bass) that's for sure, but also, you really can't get away from closed no matter what people say. The mids to upper-registers have have bit of unfocused response due to closed resonance. The treble has that graininess due to defuse from closed resonance I believe.

At least it's closer to Clear than Elear or Elex, but still others being open-backs and I also believe they have better drivers as well.

Good thing this has going is that it can be driven to it's full potential from a DAP. It's a portable headphone and closed (plenty of closed headphones out there at various price ranges), but not in look as it looks like the other models. Don't be placebo'd by it's looks (looking like others in the family).

The bad is, it's another steep price Focal. $899 is too much. Definitely not a value. I want Sennheiser to come up with HD6-- closed-back that sounds like HD6XX.

Well said.

I would like to add that for those not wanting to go as high as $899 for a portable the Final Sonorous vi are not a terrible option in my opinion for $699($599 from Razordogaudio.com). They are surprisingly easy to drive for the sound but they were not designed properly for fit and form. I must say again that this is dependent on what you are using as a DAP and your need for a low impedance headphone , the Elegia on the other hand are great with my Kann and my A&norma SR 15 which is really all I wanted in a closed back for long flights. I was worried about the SR15 but no issues what so ever in driving the Elegia, I have to sacrifice some PCM conversion but form factor is important in portable for me, we all have things that matter at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #454 of 4,840
I like it when potential headphone purchases cancel each other out and you still have all your money for something else!

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #455 of 4,840
Elegia sounds closed, and has that typical closed upper-bass resonance warmth (it's not really a warm headphone though). It has that closed-back nasal mids. Who said this headphone sounds open? Whoever said this don't know what they are talking about. There's a real point to open headphones, and it's to release closed resonance. This phone doesn't have much bass resonance you find typical, but it does have closed resonance in general.

I'll burn-in my ears, probably at some point over my ears (and brain burns-in) adjust, sound would improve.
quite a few folks actually, from what i've seen here. maybe they hear it as having an open presentation relative to other closed-back headphones that they've tried or are familiar with. try to keep in mind that these are subjective listening impressions that can vary from your own for any number of reasons. that doesn't make them any less valid. a more constructive approach would be to ask for some clarification rather than dismiss them out of hand.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #456 of 4,840
quite a few folks actually, from what i've seen here. maybe they hear it as having an open presentation relative to other closed-back headphones that they've tried or are familiar with. try to keep in mind that these are subjective listening impressions that can vary from your own for any number of reasons. that doesn't make them any less valid. a more constructive approach would be to ask for some clarification rather than dismiss them out of hand.

Thanks. This is basically what I think. For a closed back, they don't have some of the closed, claustrophobic feeling and resonance issues (or as many) that I've heard from other closed backs. I think Focal did a good job at that. I havent listened to other high end closed backs though. I've only used some of the more popular closed backs $100 up to about $600 range and typically stay with open back headphones - but wanted something to use at work and potentially replace my Sine. Will take some of my own MiniDSP EARS measurements on the Elegia tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #458 of 4,840
+1 I am the owner of an Utopia for more than 2 years and has bough an Elegia cos I am a focal headphone fan. Absolutely right to say that the Elegia sound closed compared to an open headphone and especially compared to Utopia.
Compared to the Utopia it is a midcentric headphone with some closed resonances in bass and medium, less detailled and smaller soundstage. However it sound clear and more natural than a lot of closed headphone and I can drive it very easily from an SP1000. I am not in love with this new headphone but for a closed headphone it’s not a bad one.It is the best I listened.

BA760755-C6D4-4089-AD73-DF94A902A19E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #459 of 4,840
Demo’d it and thought it sounded pretty good for maybe $600, not sure about $900.

It’s a bit bassy and loose but this can actually be a good thing on the go (ex: subway) where it helps block out the external noise. Bass is the first thing to go in the public transit.

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #460 of 4,840

The HD 820 is a worse headphone than the Elegia so I don’t see how Sennheiser can make a better headphone than Focal for a lower price than $899.

The Focal Elegia is priced very good as it is better than the Aeon Closed. But don’t expect the performance of the Utopia ofcourse.

Also considering that some $2100 closed headphones like the Sony Z1R has a huge peak somewhere and the Elegia doesn’t, it is more than fairly priced at $899.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #461 of 4,840
The HD 820 is a worse headphone than the Elegia so I don’t see how Sennheiser can make a better headphone than Focal for a lower price than $899.
Seriously? I hardly think so...

Nov 5, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #462 of 4,840

The Focal Elegia is priced very good as it is better than the Aeon Closed. But don’t expect the performance of the Utopia ofcourse.

Also considering that some $2100 closed headphones like the Sony Z1R has a huge peak somewhere and the Elegia doesn’t, it is more than fairly priced at $899.

I totally agree with @ubs28, HD820 is way overpriced. Since the Elegia, is comparable (if not a bit better) than the Aeon Flow, its 899$ price tag is Ok IMHO.
Sure, the Elegia is not comparable with most open-back cans, but between the few high-end closed-back models, it is a very good option in its price range (under 1,000$) IMO.

By the way, I'm comparing the Elegia with my old good HD600... Very tight fight in most aspects...

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #463 of 4,840
Is price tag really a good metric for anything? I can list tons of cans that have not even half the value of their price tag to me personally, and even stuff that ppl would have to pay me to listen to! I am positive that many of you would disagree with my list of bad value and absolute crap, though.

Isn't it all about the sound signature vs. our personal preferences in the end?

While I love to also listen to headphones, I'm mostly a speaker listening guy. Speakers and components around them are for sure a segment that is absolutely bonkers when it comes to pricing. Why would the headphone segment be anything else? Some things are worth more to one person than another. That's just how it is. We are also all more or less picky with how we spend our cash, and I can fully understand that ppl are willing to spend whatever it takes to make them happy as they listen. At some point, it boils down to being happy with what you have and are listening to, and perhaps then you want to stop turning every stone out there just to look for more... (I said 'perhaps'!)

Having a bunch of cans, amps, dacs, and sources is what one person loves, while another comes from completely different priorities and just wants something that works while your wife is working from home, or you have colleagues around you. The value of 'one more to complement...' is likely a different price/performance consideration compared with 'just right and all I want'. If someone is in the latter category and loves the $2100 Z1R, then go for them if you can pay for 'em!!! If you're happier with something that also happens to be cheaper, great stuff. Buy your wife flowers every day for a year, or treat yourself to something else for the difference in price. Or, as I liked doing back in the days of non-subscription based music listening, buy music for the difference, or go to concerts for the cash!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #464 of 4,840
I totally agree with @ubs28, HD820 is way overpriced. Since the Elegia, is comparable (if not a bit better) than the Aeon Flow, its 899$ price tag is Ok IMHO.
Sure, the Elegia is not comparable with most open-back cans, but between the few high-end closed-back models, it is a very good option in its price range (under 1,000$) IMO.

By the way, I'm comparing the Elegia with my old good HD600... Very tight fight in most aspects...
At least with my setup, HD6XX easily performs better. Although Elegia is closed, I was pretty underwhelmed given it's price.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #465 of 4,840
$899 may be a bit pricey for the Elegia, or any closed back to be honest. But the high end closed headphone market is sparse, so they can jack the price up.

The Elegia probably sounds as good as the Elex, if not a small step down. The Elex is $699.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back