Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Oct 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #347 of 4,846
Oct 25, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #348 of 4,846
Oct 25, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #350 of 4,846
Why is a French word in the English dictionary?

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #351 of 4,846
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #353 of 4,846
Chicken or egg?

Oct 25, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #355 of 4,846
that's exactly what I am looking for. I guess the Elegia is going back for a LCD2 Closed. My only concern is that I LOVED the fit of the Elegia. so comfy. let's hope the LCD2 Closed works out.

merci.
i've heard the closed LCD2C is heavier and makes your head look like a robot hahaha

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #358 of 4,846
Why is a French word in the English dictionary?

It's pronounced Fo-kal in French. It is a Latin word meaning "of or pertaining to a focus", from the word focalis. English also has a lot of Latin words, but French itself is Latin language, so you could say French is the origin whereas English is only the borrower.

Oct 25, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #359 of 4,846
that's exactly what I am looking for. I guess the Elegia is going back for a LCD2 Closed. My only concern is that I LOVED the fit of the Elegia. so comfy. let's hope the LCD2 Closed works out.

merci.

I went into a local shop last week to see if they had the Elegia's in stock. No dice... But, I spent sometime auditioning the Audeze LCD-XC, LCD2 closed backs, Focal Clear's, and Sony ZR1. In the end, I was quite smitten with the LCD2 cb's. To my ears they sounded clean and smooth with deep, well extended bass; present, nicely placed mids; and treble that was sparkly without being spikey (especially when compared to the LCD-XC). The headphone had this 'Listen to me all day' quality to it. I threw everything at them: hip-hop, classical, punk, hardcore, pop, indie rock, folk, ambient, etc. Super versatile cans.

Fit wise, the new headband design does wonders. I really like the fit of the LCD2 cb's and didn't feel the weight on my head or in my neck like I remembered (and felt again) with the XC's. Unfortunately, the XC's that I auditioned had the old headband design and I had no way to know if the drivers were pre 2016 update. Additionally, the LCD2 cb's look much better in person, and exude that Audeze quality and industrial design.

Historically, I've found myself gravitating towards dynamic drivers over planar, but the LCD2 cb's have me reevaluating that. I would give them a listen if you can...

Edit: Sound stage wise, these were certainly the more 'closed' sounding of all the headphones I auditioned that day (super unfair vs the Focal Clear's). But, I found the intimacy of the LCD2 cb's to be quite seductive. From memory, the sound stage seemed more expansive than my Ultrasone Signature DJ's or Fostex TH-X00's, but I didn't have them there to directly compare. The Sony ZR1's are smoother and probably a better headphone (at least technically) if the tuning is agreeable to you, but I don't personally think they're worth the price of admission. I'd rather buy the LCD2 cb's and go on a vacation over the ZR1's. I do wish the Elegia's were there to audition. I'm waiting for Torq's review on another forum before I decide what to buy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back