Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #782 of 4,852
I was referring to the graph and the uneven spikiness apparent. I haven't heard it. Not sure I want to. If you like the Elegia, fine. I'm not saying you shouldn't. I have owned the Clear and the Elear and, while they were nice headphones, the upper mid and treble were a bit disjointed for me in the long term.

It's not nearly as bad as the Elear, but it's worse than the Clear if that helps.

The Clear is the most linear in that frequency range.

The Elear dips, then peaks too much in general.

The Elegia peaks in the midrange, dips in the upper-mids, then peaks somewhere in the lower to middle treble.

I think the Clear had a peak in the upper treble, but it was so neutral to my ears, it didn't sound peaky at all. If you didn't like the other two, the Elegia will likely not impress you either.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #783 of 4,852
Bit unfair to be so critical of a headphone when you haven't heard it, no?
Where exactly was I "so critical" other than pointing out treble aberrations on a graph?

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #784 of 4,852
Hey guys. I’m reading opinions that are all over the map with these cans. Are they bright? Are they warm? Literally one pro review will say one thing, and another the opposite. I’m looking for... Well, who isn’t looking for what I’m looking for... Something as relaxed and non-fatiguing as the HD650, but I’d like more bass presence. Not too worried about open v closed, as I don’t think anyone is going to claim the 650 is exactly spacious, ha ha... Many closed cans are better in that regard, imo. YMMV.

ALSO, I’ve been in this game long enough to know that questing for an identical sound signature with one or two areas improved is basically a fool’s game... So I’m looking for something that “fills the role”, versus a carbon-copy, and with better bass.

Basically I want smooth, neutral (leaning to warm if it leans), nice transparency, some liquidity in the highs, and bass that can extend very deep and is well-textured, but only when needed... I don’t need to be reminded that the headphone can hit sub-notes from Ludacris’ “How Low” when I’m listening to The Voidz... Cans like that exhaust me.

Anyway, anyone think the Elegia fits the bill? I’ve read a few reviews that seem to indicate this, and then just when I’m about to pull the trigger, I’ll read another review using terms like “meatless”... The Elegia v LCD2 closed article, over on Major HiFi, for instance.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #785 of 4,852
Hey guys. I’m reading opinions that are all over the map with these cans. Are they bright? Are they warm? Literally one pro review will say one thing, and another the opposite. I’m looking for... Well, who isn’t looking for what I’m looking for... Something as relaxed and non-fatiguing as the HD650, but I’d like more bass presence. Not too worried about open v closed, as I don’t think anyone is going to claim the 650 is exactly spacious, ha ha... Many closed cans are better in that regard, imo. YMMV.

ALSO, I’ve been in this game long enough to know that questing for an identical sound signature with one or two areas improved is basically a fool’s game... So I’m looking for something that “fills the role”, versus a carbon-copy, and with better bass.

Basically I want smooth, neutral (leaning to warm if it leans), nice transparency, some liquidity in the highs, and bass that can extend very deep and is well-textured, but only when needed... I don’t need to be reminded that the headphone can hit sub-notes from Ludacris’ “How Low” when I’m listening to The Voidz... Cans like that exhaust me.

Anyway, anyone think the Elegia fits the bill? I’ve read a few reviews that seem to indicate this, and then just when I’m about to pull the trigger, I’ll read another review using terms like “meatless”... The Elegia v LCD2 closed article, over on Major HiFi, for instance.
they could be what your looking for. I would never call them warm that is for sure. The bass is very present but is not thumping. I would say that if you listen to some bass heavy music it may take a while for you to get used to them. At times i think the bass is not present and then all of a sudden i'd here the bass guitar on a song and i'd think, wow what detail in the low end. They are articulate and layer the music oh so well. They take some listening to to get used to them, but for me I love them for rock and R&b, especially female vocals and definitely acoustic. hope that helps

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #786 of 4,852

I would suggest to try it before buying. I feel the sound of the Elegia very lean, mids and highs are clear without being harsh but the low end is lacking.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #787 of 4,852

They're absolutely not as smooth as HD650 for sure, but they have a pretty good transparency and detail retreival. The highs are not overly aggressive to my ears, but they sound lively and have good sparkle (awesome with jazz by the way)... The bass is flat, well-extended and is neutral in level (no mid-bass bump there). The mids are quite detailed and upfront in their presentation. Soundstage and imaging is not quite large, but rather intimate and airy. Overall, I can't say they are a smooth and relax headphone because of their very (very) dynamic and responsive nature. Hard to say, but they are some kind of neutral, but absolutely not boring. They maybe lacks a bit of organic timbre (espacially with some male vocals), but plugged into a tube amp, it helps a lot...

Hope this could help you...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #788 of 4,852

Audeze LCD2 is usually the next recommendation when coming from the HD650.

Elegia is not what you're looking for if you want an upgrade to the HD650. (I've owned all 3 headphones)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #789 of 4,852
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #790 of 4,852
@doboo57 's assessment there is pretty close to what I would say too. I really enjoy the Elegia, but I am coming from headphones like the Elex and HE560 which have flatter bass signatures than something with more elevated bass. The HD650 has more of a laid back upper mids/treble than the Elegia. I find the Elegia somewhere between the Elex and the HD650 in general, but closer to the Elex. It actually has a lot of similarities to the HD58X but with better bass extension and much better dynamics and airyness - is that a word?

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #791 of 4,852
Audeze LCD2 is usually the next recommendation when coming from the HD650.

Elegia is not what you're looking for if you want an upgrade to the HD650. (I've owned all 3 headphones)
Yep, I owned the LCD2 (both pre and post-Fazor versions) several times. Terrific cans. I keep coming back to them thinking the weight won’t be so bad this time... And it always is. What is up with Audeze and 15 pound headphones? I would legit spend $1k more than I want to, right now, on an Audeze that came in at a manageable weight. Sorry. This is a triggering subject for me, ha ha. I need a safe space.

The Elegia is certainly a tough one to get a handle on without hearing it. Perhaps most perplexing to me is the bass aspect. I get how two people can listen to the same can and disagree on whether it’s too bright, airy enough, or if it’s fatiguing. But bass? Bass is there or it ain’t. There are literally tracks you can play, and if the headphone can’t hit the note, it won’t. Take the 650. Everybody who listens to that can will agree on how much bass it has. The debate is whether they like that much bass or prefer more.

But with the Elegia, reviewers can’t even agree if it’s lean, tight, and lacking, or if it slams and presents just slightly too bassy... At this point, I don’t even know if the Elegia has as much bass as the 650. Unfortunately, no stores around me have an Elegia to demo... And I’ve already returned like three headphones to Amazon in under a month. Not trying to lose my Prime, ha ha

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #792 of 4,852
Yep, I owned the LCD2 (both pre and post-Fazor versions) several times. Terrific cans. I keep coming back to them thinking the weight won’t be so bad this time... And it always is. What is up with Audeze and 15 pound headphones? I would legit spend $1k more than I want to, right now, on an Audeze that came in at a manageable weight. Sorry. This is a triggering subject for me, ha ha. I need a safe space.

The Elegia is certainly a tough one to get a handle on without hearing it. Perhaps most perplexing to me is the bass aspect. I get how two people can listen to the same can and disagree on whether it’s too bright, airy enough, or if it’s fatiguing. But bass? Bass is there or it ain’t. There are literally tracks you can play, and if the headphone can’t hit the note, it won’t. Take the 650. Everybody who listens to that can will agree on how much bass it has. The debate is whether they like that much bass or prefer more.

But with the Elegia, reviewers can’t even agree if it’s lean, tight, and lacking, or if it slams and presents just slightly too bassy... At this point, I don’t even know if the Elegia has as much bass as the 650. Unfortunately, no stores around me have an Elegia to demo... And I’ve already returned like three headphones to Amazon in under a month. Not trying to lose my Prime, ha ha

Have you tried the new LCD versions with the updated headband? I've heard those helped with weight distribution a lot. Maybe try their iSine series if you like IEMs as well.

It really depends on the song. The Elegia has a tighter mid-bass with great sub-bass extension, so it will sound closer to the bass of the LCD series (IIRC). The Elegia is smooth, forward, and neutral in tone, but it's treble response slightly pushes the sound signature on the brighter end of the spectrum (especially when compared to the HD650). Think of it like a W response, but with the bass being very subjective. It CAN hit the note, very quickly in fact. It's just whether or not that hit is enough for you.

I don't know your budget, but the Focal Clear suits your description better. It's treble response is exactly what you're looking for, it's bass is more similar to the HD650 than the LCD2, and it's a great all-rounder and neutral headphone. You can find it used for the same exact price of a brand new Elegia.

Also try looking into the MrSpeakers AEON Flow Open. I've only heard the closed back version, but impressions seem to imply they're warm (or warmer in comparison) from what I remember. Don't quote me on that though.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #793 of 4,852
How does Black Sabbath's "Fluff" sound on the Elegia?

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #794 of 4,852
screwk it. Pulled the trigger. Arriving tomorrow (hopefully). I have to hear these for myself...

What inched the needle was the following bass comparison posted on page 39 of this thread. Slightly more bass than the LCD2C but definitely less than Z1R sounds like the perfect amount to me... I just hope the guy who posted this has decent ears, ha ha.

Headphone X vs Elegia - Quantity - Quality

Clear - less - better
Elear - slightly more - slightly worse
Utopia - less - better
Z1R - definitely more- same
Z7 - definitely more - definitely worse
D7200 - slightly more - same
D7000 - less sub-bass, more mid-bass - worse
TH-X00 - definitely more - much worse
LCD 2c - slightly less! - same
T1.2 - much less - same
T1p - less - same
T5p.2 - less sub-bass, more mid-bass - slightly worse
M1060 - less - slightly worse
AFC - much less - same
P7 - less - worse

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #795 of 4,852
How does Black Sabbath's "Fluff" sound on the Elegia?
Listening to it right now (for the first time in maybe 30 years!). So far the acoustic intro is really nice. Instrument separation is spot on, imaging is great. Bass is recessed, almost not there, but I think that 's the nature of the song itself.

some listening deets:
192/24 file from pioneer XDP-100 > Schiit Loki (all levels at about 3:00) Woo Audio WA7 > Elegia

and now onto Sabra Cadabra!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back