Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,866 of 4,891
Anyone have seen the issues with the Headband for these, and does anyone have an idea how to prevent it? I saw somewhere there is a new occurrence. Some say they use special tape.

I am a new owner of Elegia after buying it used last week. Hoping more experienced owners can give some advice :frowning2:
What is the headband issue?

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #2,867 of 4,891
What is the headband issue?
Focal headphone headbands are composed of relatively thin plastic and can crack. Some of the posters say that the headband/yoke assembly can be replaced with that from a Hifiman HE400 though its concerning none the less.
eaah18i1ueg71.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/p1cay8/what_900_buys_you_at_focal/

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #2,868 of 4,891
Focal headphone headbands are composed of relatively thin plastic and can crack. Some of the posters say that the headband/yoke assembly can be replaced with that from a Hifiman HE400 though its concerning none the less.
eaah18i1ueg71.jpg

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/p1cay8/what_900_buys_you_at_focal/
From the looks of it, that headphone was used in a way it was definitely not designed to be used. I think they need a rugged portable, not a luxury, audiophile transportable set. 😳

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #2,869 of 4,891
From the looks of it, that headphone was used in a way it was definitely not designed to be used. I think they need a rugged portable, not a luxury, audiophile transportable set. 😳
Was the user on the electric chair?:
27FBD8D2-DA36-48EC-94A8-ABC7EA8A877D.jpeg

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #2,870 of 4,891
I wonder if the user did an Abyss "run-it-over-with-a-Jeep-Rubicon" test on it :thinking:.

Video:

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #2,871 of 4,891
I wonder if the user did an Abyss "run-it-over-with-a-Jeep-Rubicon" test on it :thinking:.

Video:

lol, yeah, those have unmatchable build … i love those guys and I’ve never even heard the headphones but I watch their YouTube channel and I know their 1266 line has a great reputation among owners

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #2,872 of 4,891
Was the user on the electric chair?:27FBD8D2-DA36-48EC-94A8-ABC7EA8A877D.jpeg
No but following the links in that thread was shocking!
There are some better cared for sets, appearance wise, in the reddit threads that suffered poor endings… Some bought used, open box, etc.
Might be some misuse, some QC issues, or too light of design on the plastic parts.
I have Elears that turn five years old in a month. No issues at all.
The lack of Focal issues (but for driver failures) on this site left me confident enough that I purchased Stellia and have Utopia on order.

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,873 of 4,891
There are some better cared for sets, appearance wise, in the reddit threads that suffered poor endings… Some bought used, open box, etc.
Might be some misuse, some QC issues, or too light of design on the plastic parts.
The lack of Focal issues (but for driver failures) on this site left me confident enough that I purchased Stellia and have Utopia on order.
I do not own the Elegias or Elears but do own Clear (original). Absolutely no issues with build and quality 😊.

Aug 12, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,875 of 4,891
I'm new to this thread. I own a pair of the Clear MGs and a pair of Elegias (bought, sold, and bought again!). No build issues at all, or any other issues for that matter. These are hands down the most comfortable cans I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. I don't mind weight (I love my LCD-3's), but these babies just seem to float on my head.

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,876 of 4,891
I do not own the Elegias or Elears but do own Clear (original). Absolutely no issues with build and quality 😊.
Have Clears and Elegia's...also "Absolutely no issues with build and quality 😊."
Thats comforting to know. It reminds me a bit of people being nervous of LCD driver failures. Either way, I'm glad there is a headband assembly replacement thats available worse comes worse. I will say it still does make me a bit nervous to buy Focals at full price. Though thats probably better for my wallet anyway.
I'm new to this thread. I own a pair of the Clear MGs and a pair of Elegias (bought, sold, and bought again!). No build issues at all, or any other issues for that matter. These are hands down the most comfortable cans I've ever had the pleasure of wearing. I don't mind weight (I love my LCD-3's), but these babies just seem to float on my head.
Everything is lightweight compared to LCDs :dt880smile: I see you have quite the collection in your signature! How do you find the ZMF Auteur compare to the Elegia and LCD3? They've definitely been a set I hope to be able to audition in the future/

Aug 12, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #2,877 of 4,891
Everything is lightweight compared to LCDs :dt880smile: I see you have quite the collection in your signature! How do you find the ZMF Auteur compare to the Elegia and LCD3? They've definitely been a set I hope to be able to audition in the future/
I'm not one for using techy terms, but keeping in mind that the Elegias are closed back, the Auteurs definitely have a more airy feel to them. Honestly though, I actually prefer to the Aeolus to the Auteurs. They are just a hair more detailed, but not so much so that I find myself "analyzing" the music as opposed to just listening and enjoying.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #2,878 of 4,891
eaah18i1ueg71.jpg

I've read that thread from end-to-end; whilst I agree that the Elegia's build quality is not befitting of a $900 product, the "scars" on the user's headphone tell a deeper story. For what it's worth, though, I'm glad that he managed to attach an old Hifiman headband assembly to the Elegia's driver cups.

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,879 of 4,891
I've read that thread from end-to-end; whilst I agree that the Elegia's build quality is not befitting of a $900 product, the "scars" on the user's headphone tell a deeper story. For what it's worth, though, I'm glad that he managed to attach an old Hifiman headband assembly to the Elegia's driver cups.
I agree with you there, but since its initial release a few years back, the Elegia has become more of a $500 set of cans. At that price point, the build quality is right where it oughta be (or even a schmidge better).

Aug 12, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,880 of 4,891
2019 LCD_XC vs. Elegia (Sheepskin)

I couldn't justify a pair of Stellias, so I picked up some woody LCD-XCs. The wood cups look so classy.

I find the LCD-XC to be brighter and more resolving than the Elegia with Dekoni sheepskin pads. The sound stage opens up and instrument isolation is much better. I am hearing tiny details across 180 degrees.

The bass is less boomy - much cleaner and tight. Mid range (vocals) are more forward and crisp. Treble is much brighter, but this works well for my 70+ old-guy ears.

Fit... 730 grams takes some trial and effort to get a comfy fit. First, leather head band was touching the spring steel so I had to adjust the strap by about 8mm (see picture). Then I needed some support behind my head. My La-Z-Boy recliner works. Also lying on my bed with a soft pillow also takes the weight off. Comfy now :)

My Fiio M11 Pro balanced output drives the LCD-XC nicely.

I find the sound isolation to very good. Checked for loose screws on the cups - no issues.

I am not letting go of the Elegias however. I find the build quality to be excellent, and they are very comfortable, especially at my desk. With the fenestrated Dekoni pads, they complement the LCD-XC nicely.

Here is a Bass Heavy playlist for enjoying what the LCD-XC has to offer:

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/333e7833-4956-4cc7-af27-e7891910ceeb

Attachments

• DSCF2475c.jpg
    DSCF2475c.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back