Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Jun 1, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #2,746 of 2,751

alterndog

100+ Head-Fier
Only had the basic "99 Series 2.5mm Balanced Upgrade Cable" for some time (used with Klipsch HP3, Quad ERA-1 and also Elegia), had a very good build quality and feel to it. The "99 Series Silver Upgrade Cable" is almost 2.5 times the price of the basic version - that is hard to justify, if you don't appreciate the different look. I doubt there is any audible difference between the two (and both are silver placed OFC anyway). I do use a custom cable made by Sky Audio Cables (UK) with my Elegia.

Side note: I do have the ridiculous expensive Silver Plated PCUHD Upgrade Cable 4-pin XLR that came with my Meze Empyrean bundle....its still factory sealed inside the case and I use a generic Hard Audio Cable with them :)
Thx! I ended up ordering from Hart. Will try their cord out and with the coupon had free shipping.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,747 of 2,751

peterinvan

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 1, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #2,748 of 2,751

alterndog

100+ Head-Fier
Jun 2, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,749 of 2,751

dixtatorx

New Head-Fier
Only had the basic "99 Series 2.5mm Balanced Upgrade Cable" for some time (used with Klipsch HP3, Quad ERA-1 and also Elegia), had a very good build quality and feel to it. The "99 Series Silver Upgrade Cable" is almost 2.5 times the price of the basic version - that is hard to justify, if you don't appreciate the different look. I doubt there is any audible difference between the two (and both are silver placed OFC anyway). I do use a custom cable made by Sky Audio Cables (UK) with my Elegia.

Side note: I do have the ridiculous expensive Silver Plated PCUHD Upgrade Cable 4-pin XLR that came with my Meze Empyrean bundle....its still factory sealed inside the case and I use a generic Hard Audio Cable with them :)
I was looking at Sky Audio Cables too a couple of weeks ago, as I too am interested for a 2.5mm balanced terminated cable for the Elegia. I was looking at their eBay store (UK), but was and still am unsure about the microphonics on their cables. Would you be so kind to shine some light on this? What type of cable of theirs are you using with your Elegia and how do the microphonics on the Sky Audio Cable you have compare to the microphonics from the Meze "simple" 2.5mm balanced upgrade?

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #2,750 of 2,751

godmax

100+ Head-Fier
I was looking at Sky Audio Cables too a couple of weeks ago, as I too am interested for a 2.5mm balanced terminated cable for the Elegia. I was looking at their eBay store (UK), but was and still am unsure about the microphonics on their cables. Would you be so kind to shine some light on this? What type of cable of theirs are you using with your Elegia and how do the microphonics on the Sky Audio Cable you have compare to the microphonics from the Meze "simple" 2.5mm balanced upgrade?
I am personally not very susceptible to cable microphonics and did not come accross a cable yet where this was not noticable. I have all my custom cables fully sleeved, just for the looks.
The basic Meze has a soft transparent TPU coating which makes it very flexible and tanglefree, probably less microphonics from what I remember. Sky Audio Cable can create the cable to your liking with/-out sleeving or half/half (see posting). I ordered "plain" copper litz cable: it is flexible, lays flat and has a weighty feel to it. Microphonics are about the same as Hart Audio or the infamous Focal stock cable.

I got a pretty basic cable for my Elegia:
Length: 140cm
Termination (Amp): 4-pin XLR Balanced
Termination (Headphone): Focal Elegia (Dual Mono 3,5mm TRS)
Material: Copper Litz
Splitter/Plugs: Carbon Black
Color/style: #32 silver diamond sleeve over all strands​
Elegia.Sky.03.jpg
Elegia.Sky.02.jpg

Jun 2, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #2,751 of 2,751

dixtatorx

New Head-Fier
I am personally not very susceptible to cable microphonics and did not come accross a cable yet where this was not noticable. I have all my custom cables fully sleeved, just for the looks.
The basic Meze has a soft transparent TPU coating which makes it very flexible and tanglefree, probably less microphonics from what I remember. Sky Audio Cable can create the cable to your liking with/-out sleeving or half/half (see posting). I ordered "plain" copper litz cable: it is flexible, lays flat and has a weighty feel to it. Microphonics are about the same as Hart Audio or the infamous Focal stock cable.

I got a pretty basic cable for my Elegia:
Length: 140cm
Termination (Amp): 4-pin XLR Balanced
Termination (Headphone): Focal Elegia (Dual Mono 3,5mm TRS)
Material: Copper Litz
Splitter/Plugs: Carbon Black
Color/style: #32 silver diamond sleeve over all strands​
Elegia.Sky.03.jpgElegia.Sky.02.jpg
Much appreciated, you've been awesome 👌🏻 in your response

Users who are viewing this thread