Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 25, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #5,401 of 5,632
The Utopia will get another little brother soon... :L3000:
buba.gif
:)

Sep 25, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #5,402 of 5,632
I have seen rumours according to which Focal would issue a model between the Elear and the Utopia, it would cost € 1999 and might arrive in November,
but I have no idea whether these rumours are reliable.

It’s normal for new gear from manufacturers to be released during the Christmas holiday season. There are lots of new products coming out soon. Not only Focal but other great brands too. I can’t speak to this €1999.00 rumor you mentioned or a headphone in that rumored price range from Focal. If there is one, I’m certainly not aware of it.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #5,404 of 5,632
It’s normal for new gear from manufacturers to be released during the Christmas holiday season. There are lots of new products coming out soon. Not only Focal but other great brands too. I can’t speak to this €1999.00 rumor you mentioned or a headphone in that rumored price range from Focal. If there is one, I’m certainly not aware of it.
Interesting! Would it be higher or lower than utopia?

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,405 of 5,632
I'm gonna be choked if a new TOTL headphone comes out from Focal, having just bought the Utopia. However, I could see it happening with the recent sale of $1000 dollars off.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #5,406 of 5,632
I'm gonna be choked if a new TOTL headphone comes out from Focal, having just bought the Utopia. However, I could see it happening with the recent sale of $1000 dollars off.

As I listen to the Utopia right now I think they're pretty top notch. If Focal suddenly released some new TOTL and then decided to price it chasing Hifiman at $6K+ I wouldn't even feel bad, it would just be an immediate no.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #5,407 of 5,632
Well my eyes just got bigger when I read all this... WOW really hope there is something at RMAF from Focal for me to hear or be told about... I am excited about a lot of things at RMAF, this would be another big one to look forward to :)

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #5,408 of 5,632
I’ve been using my Focal Utopia for the past 3 weeks and I’m gradually falling for them but when comparing them to my Sennheiser HD 800s there isn’t a huge difference, we’ll not a 2,300 difference to my ears but there is a difference. At times the instruments on the 800s are so much more clear and sparkle a little more but I love the intimacy of the voices on the Utopia’s.. anyone else come to this conclusion?

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #5,409 of 5,632
I’ve been using my Focal Utopia for the past 3 weeks and I’m gradually falling for them but when comparing them to my Sennheiser HD 800s there isn’t a huge difference, we’ll not a 2,300 difference to my ears but there is a difference. At times the instruments on the 800s are so much more clear and sparkle a little more but I love the intimacy of the voices on the Utopia’s.. anyone else come to this conclusion?

I enjoy both but they do have a different sound presentation and I do agree with your sound assessment. But, one persons clear sounding can be another persons thin sounding. Sparkle becomes glare. Warm becomes thick. Intimacy becomes forward. And it's all so very recording dependent and genre preferences may play a part as well. As for Utopias value, it's certainly greater at $3,000 (this month) than the $4,000 I paid but I'm certain they sound the same regardless of price. (And I see HD800 at $999.00 new on some sites and I paid $1,400 when I got mine last year.)

I got what I wanted with both so no regrets and no whining from me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #5,410 of 5,632
I enjoy both but they do have a different sound presentation and I do agree with your sound assessment. But, one persons clear sounding can be another persons thin sounding. Sparkle becomes glare. Warm becomes thick. Intimacy becomes forward. And it's all so very recording dependent and genre preferences may play a part as well. As for Utopias value, it's certainly greater at $3,000 (this month) than the $4,000 I paid but I'm certain they sound the same regardless of price. (And I see HD800 at $999.00 new on some sites and I paid $1,400 when I got mine last year.)

I got what I wanted with both so no regrets and no whining from me.

Agreed, both have their own unique way of presenting music and it does depend on the type of music being listened to. I’m enjoying them both but I’m sure not keeping both lol... after listening to the Utopia for a while the 800s can sound a little thin or wide compared to the Utopia full yet smaller (not by much) sound stage.

Sep 27, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #5,411 of 5,632
"we’ll not a 2,300 difference to my ears" ... that's it isn't it? I've only heard the HD800 at shows and never owned, I hated the light bass and stormed off pretty much. Closest equiv I can think of is I have the Audeze LCD-XC and sat down with Audeze to check out the LCD-4. That was really what I walked away from it with. The 4 was aboutr $2300 more and I didn't think the difference would justify it. The Focal though, totally different. Brand new TOTL totally worth the $4K asking price! I had similar thoughts comparing it to the XC. Yes maybe it's better, but the XC is more like a little different in the tuning and flavor. I think you're going through something like that. I wanted a TOTL and ended up here. If I was advising normal people I would say it's not worth it. Headfi people, worth it if you can afford it. I almost never listen to my XC any more. Which is really a shame because they are amazing HPs too IMO. Maybe a noticeable notch down from the TOTLs but I think even some hard core audiophile could find a way to make due if that was all they had...

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #5,412 of 5,632
I wish they would make something with the Beryllium dome but without the flower-like magnet structure and those fancy material such as the carbon fiber yoke and the lambskin headband to keep the cost(and price) down. But it's not very likely.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #5,413 of 5,632
Anyone know if there’s a local Focal Utopia seller in Phoenix AZ? I want that 5yr warranty.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #5,415 of 5,632
LMC Home Entertainment in Scottsdale or Chandler

Thank you very much, I just left with a pair of Focal Utopia's... really nice service and a huge selection to choose from. Quick question, they indicated they're an authorized seller for focal but I don't see them listed on Focal's authorized seller list, should I be concerned.. I also don't see Adorama listed but I know they're an authorized seller..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back