Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 21, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #3,121 of 5,632
  I am not good with EQ so i left it untouched. I did swaped the pad to test it for a little ( couple of songs). The result was that Elear sounded shockingly similar to Utopia with the Utopia pad to my ear.

That's good to hear, thanks for sharing. I would very much like to hear the impressions of a fellow head-fi'er about Elear w/Utopia Pads vs. Utopia. 
I will definitely buy the Utopia pads when they become available. If I like what I hear, why should I (or should I) buy Utopia? That's the question. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #3,122 of 5,632
The thing is that once one has had a dose of the HD800 soundstage with classical music there is no turning back...and from what I've read, the Utopia is somewhat lacking in that department.  Now, if I listened to anything other than classical music, I would be very interested in the Utopias.

I've owned the uptopias for a little while now and use the chord Dave for listening to them. At home in a silent room the Utopias have a great sound stage very similar to my hd800's, if they are slightly less you definitely do not notice this with classical music. Since the instraments through the utopia sound so much more realistic, the best description I've heard is the utopia is very speaker like in sound quality instead of headphone like. Cello strings have more depth than the hd800, piano keys have a more solid sound and violins while still extended are not as thin or bright sounding. But if you like classical music the utopia is definitely worth a listen in a quite room, I personally use the utopia more than any other headphone right now.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #3,123 of 5,632
  I've heard or read this, that, and the other about the Utopias, Ether Flows, and HE-1000s.  I've been tempted by reading all the pertinent threads, but I've decided to stay put until Sennheiser comes out with a new flagship (possible in about two years or so).  I still enjoy the HD800s after all these years and consider them to offer maybe 97% of what I would ever want in a pair of headphones (to be frank, I don't even known what the other 3 percent would be!).  By driving them with the MHA-100 or the Ray Samuels Darkstar I don't see any reason to upgrade right know.  The soundstage is magnificent, the treble spikes are nowhere to be heard, and the bass is just right...at least with Classical music, which is what I listen to.  When it comes to closed headphones, the McIntosh MHP-1000s sound like a mini-HD800 and I am perfectly happy with them as well.  So yes, I am staying put and saving money for what will likely be the earth-shattering event that will be the new Sennheiser dynamic driver flagship...my wallet is taking an extended vacation, or more like an extended hibernation. . 

Figaro69, Give the Utopias a listen and decide. Two years is a long time to forego bliss. They are amazing with classical music. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #3,125 of 5,632
btw if Orpheus sounds better than Utopia, it must sound damn good.

The Orpheus is a $50k headphone that's electrostatic, it has a very different sound. I wasn't impressed enough to buy one, also comes with a tube amp that takes a bit to warm up to sound well. It has a very airy detailed sound but less impact or low dynamics. As a disclaimer I've never been a fan of electrostatic headphones or speakers.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #3,127 of 5,632
The Orpheus is a $50k headphone that's electrostatic, it has a very different sound. I wasn't impressed enough to buy one, also comes with a tube amp that takes a bit to warm up to sound well. It has a very airy detailed sound but less impact or low dynamics. As a disclaimer I've never been a fan of electrostatic headphones or speakers.

I see, so I assume Sennheiser gotta work hard to beat Utopia with their next flagship.

Sep 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #3,128 of 5,632
There are no secret hook ups. In a more serious note, if you find them bright and bass light, you are either on gear that creates this bright sound or your taste is more in the bass dominant style headphone like the TH900. I see people recommend Elear pads for Utopia to generate more bass. This is not recommended if you want the quality mids and high's the Utopia reproduce so well. Let's find your circumstances that cause this impression so that you can make your best decision in how to approach the issue. We're happy to help with that. Let's start with your inventory. What electronics are you using and what headphone did you typically use before you became a Utopia owner?

Hi Jason. Well to answer your question, I'm using:
Source: PC
DAC: Benchmark DAC2
Amps: Violectric V181 or through Benchmark (doesn't matter)
HP: Focal Utopia

My other cans:
HiiMan HE1000 via Violectric V181
Stax SR-009 via Woo WES

With the same source and DAC, even the SR-009's aren't as bright. 

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3,130 of 5,632
I've owned the uptopias for a little while now and use the chord Dave for listening to them. At home in a silent room the Utopias have a great sound stage very similar to my hd800's, if they are slightly less you definitely do not notice this with classical music. Since the instraments through the utopia sound so much more realistic, the best description I've heard is the utopia is very speaker like in sound quality instead of headphone like. Cello strings have more depth than the hd800, piano keys have a more solid sound and violins while still extended are not as thin or bright sounding. But if you like classical music the utopia is definitely worth a listen in a quite room, I personally use the utopia more than any other headphone right now.

Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in!!!

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #3,131 of 5,632

Just when I thought I was out, you pull me back in!!!

Trust me...this is a family business...you were never OUT!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3,132 of 5,632
Hi Jason. Well to answer your question, I'm using:
Source: PC
DAC: Benchmark DAC2
Amps: Violectric V181 or through Benchmark (doesn't matter)
HP: Focal Utopia

My other cans:
HiiMan HE1000 via Violectric V181
Stax SR-009 via Woo WES

With the same source and DAC, even the SR-009's aren't as bright. 
Thanks Preload! I appreciate you opening up the discussion. So all your gear is pretty cool products. I'm also an SR009 user/owner/fan. With your SR009's you're on a 100% copper cable I would imagine unless you found someone to customize a cable for you. For the moment I'll assume you're on the factory copper cable. Really I can't see any reason from your inventory why you'd feel they are bright. Would you mind telling me what cable you're using Focal factory? Aftermarket? I apologize for the additional questions but your inventory only tells me that your Benchmark gear in my auditions have seemed just a hair brighter than say Chord. We are having discussions with Benchmark about being a dealer but because I'm not I can't have a discussion here about that product. So I am familiar and can discuss this further with you but to do that here is against the rules. It doesn't matter if I say positive things or not, it's considered inappropriate here. In fact I could get deleted for what I've already said. I'd like to share some thoughts and maybe send you a couple things to try ...more as an experiment to see if we can identify exactly what is causing your "bright" impression of the Utopia. We've sold and delivered more than all the other dealers in North America combined and I have 1 other person agree's with you. I was able to get that other guy on track and happy with a couple no money changes. My hope is I can do the same for you. Would you mind if I ask you call me and maybe together we can figure out what it is that causes this impression and with a little more luck we can get you all good with happy ears in your Utopia. PM me if you're into it and give you my cell if you want to give it a go.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 22, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #3,133 of 5,632
Well guys, it will be my turn today to get to hear the Utopias.  My pair is out for delivery by UPS today (I bought them from Jason/The Soucre AV) and I am blessed enough to have some options in driving them. 

My all time favorite cans so far are still the HD-800 (and mine never sound bright most likely due to cabling and amps driving them) even though I have the LCD-3s (fazor) and LCD-Xs which I still enjoy on certain music.  Everything I have thrown at the HD-800s over the last 4 years has failed to dethrone them -- but my anticipation is growing today that's for sure.

I am going to burn them in for a while before critically listening - and suggestions on minimum time?

I will be driving them with either one of four Eddie Current amps (445, Balancing Act, Zana Deux SE (OTL) or Zana Deux ZDT); one of two Allnic amps (HPA-3000 or HPA-5000 (OTL); a Moth Audio 2A3 (original) or a Burson Conductor.  Any suggestions here as to a good match with the Utopias that anyone has heard?

Waiting till 5:00p.m. with baited breath.

Frank

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #3,134 of 5,632
I got to listen to the Elear at my local hi-fi shop and boy did they look so much sexier in person, and as well as that even when plugged into my little chord mojo they sounded fantastic I think I will definitely be purchasing!!

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3,135 of 5,632
Well guys, it will be my turn today to get to hear the Utopias.  My pair is out for delivery by UPS today (I bought them from Jason/The Soucre AV) and I am blessed enough to have some options in driving them. 

My all time favorite cans so far are still the HD-800 (and mine never sound bright most likely due to cabling and amps driving them) even though I have the LCD-3s (fazor) and LCD-Xs which I still enjoy on certain music.  Everything I have thrown at the HD-800s over the last 4 years has failed to dethrone them -- but my anticipation is growing today that's for sure.

I am going to burn them in for a while before critically listening - and suggestions on minimum time?

I will be driving them with either one of four Eddie Current amps (445, Balancing Act, Zana Deux SE (OTL) or Zana Deux ZDT); one of two Allnic amps (HPA-3000 or HPA-5000 (OTL); a Moth Audio 2A3 (original) or a Burson Conductor.  Any suggestions here as to a good match with the Utopias that anyone has heard?

Waiting till 5:00p.m. with baited breath.

Frank

I am really eager to hear from u back on the comparison.btw,congratz on ur pair..i want to see how Utopia(the best amps of yours) fares against hd800(cabling+amps)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back