Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 5, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #2,596 of 5,632

+1 On the LA-900. I have Lawton modded TH900's and they are fantastic with hip-hop and other bass heavy music. Stock TH-900's are definitely problematic in the treble regions and part of the reason my TH-900 was sitting on the sideline collecting dust for a while. But the Lawton mods have breathed new life into them for sure and currently get all my head time.

I have a Utopia on the way and think it will offer a good contrast headphone when I listen to other stuff. I am still hoping it will be good for mainstream stuff as well though. We shall see.

Cool...I only had the LA900s (on-loan) for a week and was thoroughly impressed with them (especially being closed headphones). The Utopias have really, really impressed me...curious to hear what you think of them with electronica and hip-hop. Personally I think I'd prefer the LA900s. But with the genres I listen to mainly (rock, metal, jazz, classical), the Utopias are among the very best I've heard.

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,598 of 5,632
I agree with him. In terms of dynamics, I think it's right there with the very best. I am writing a review for them and it should be out in a few weeks. But along with the SR-009s, the Utopias are among the top.

so was it revelatory for you in this area of performance as it was for tyll or comparable with those other totl cans? i'm getting the impression from your posts that the utopia's sonic performance is approaching the level of the sr-009 but not quite there, and that it is comparable with the lcd-4 and hd800.

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #2,599 of 5,632
And Elear arrives. I'm impressed. But it really needs EQ'in in the 8 - 16 KHz band. It's a bit dark sounding otherwise. 

Anyone thinks the same? What about Utopia? 
What are you plugged in to?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 6, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,601 of 5,632

+1 On the LA-900. I have Lawton modded TH900's and they are fantastic with hip-hop and other bass heavy music. Stock TH-900's are definitely problematic in the treble regions and part of the reason my TH-900 was sitting on the sideline collecting dust for a while. But the Lawton mods have breathed new life into them for sure and currently get all my head time.

I have a Utopia on the way and think it will offer a good contrast headphone when I listen to other stuff. I am still hoping it will be good for mainstream stuff as well though. We shall see.

Very interested in your impressions between the LA-900/TH-900 and the Utopia. Utopia have sort of been on my "to watch" list.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #2,602 of 5,632
Play Rosanne Cash, The Wheel and especially Change Partners. Freaky. I was looking around the room thinking someone else was in there. I thought my wife was playing tricks on me. I played it again and the imaging was the same, very precise and incredible separation of voices. 

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,603 of 5,632
  Here's a great formula for outstanding sound:

Chord Hugo TT + Focal Utopia + Metallica = 
L3000.gif

Seriously good head banging stuff.

What about Mojo + Focal Utopia + Metallica? I definitely don't have the means to acquire both (Utopia + Hugo TT) at the same time, the Utopia (with DHC cable) will certainly murder my poor wallet.

Sep 6, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #2,604 of 5,632
What about Mojo + Focal Utopia + Metallica? I definitely don't have the means to acquire both (Utopia + Hugo TT) at the same time, the Utopia (with DHC cable) will certainly murder my poor wallet.

Sounds great to my ears.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,605 of 5,632
So, are the soundstages of the Flow and Utopia about the same? Which one comes out ahead?

Apologies for missing this earlier. I'm probably not the best to ask about soundstage. If you were to ask me which sounded more realistic with the placement of instruments and instrument size and impact then it's the Utopia. I find the actual soundstage to be more dependant on the recording than the headphone, but the Utopia renders it well if it's there. But hey, that's me on my gear, YMMV...

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #2,606 of 5,632
I am waiting Elear to be launched in India, i will pair with Mojo.
Utopia is for rich guys :D I can afford only in my dreams :)

Sep 6, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,607 of 5,632
What on earth is the meaning of this?!?

lol, dam Apple correction, I meant "difference".

As I tested the Utopia in the store with the Hugo, the overall balance is on the bright side and the highs are a bit harsh. No issues at all in my own system. The Utopia is dead neutral and simply the reflection of what the front end sounds like. I don't feel the bass is lacking at all, guess Tyll was talking about the sound of his Ayre dac rather than that of the Utopia.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #2,608 of 5,632
I wonder how my Auralic Vega + MHA100 or the RS Darkstar would drive the Utopias.  The only reason why I am holding out for the time being is the issue about the soundstage because I listen to classical music exclusively.  Currently my best "soundstage" headphones are: HD800 > Grado PS1000 > Beyer T1 > MacIntosh MHP1000.  If the Utopias are on par with the Grado PS1000s - which I consider to be excellent with regard to soundstage - then I am in like Flynn.  If the soundstage is similar to the Audio Technica 3000anv, they I'm staying on the sidelines.

Well put it this way, if you are confident about your dac and amp, just take the dive and you won't regret.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,609 of 5,632
Honestly, the Utopia's are easy to drive. The real question is 'will I like the sound of my amp'?

Also, after more time I'm finding that the soundstage with the Utopia is more a matter of the recording than the headphone. Using a headphone that makes close mic'd studio recordings sound wide is completely unnatural to me. In my opinion, if the recording has a good sense of soundstage (decay, room reflections, and reverberation) then the Utopia will portray that with very lifelike clarity. Of course, YMMV.

Can not agree more

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #2,610 of 5,632
I think so. I do admire the Hugo for being what it is and offering great portable sound....but the Hugo TT is simply outstanding! It isn't bright like the Hugo and offers another level of detail retrieval/soundstaging...but certainly isn't my first choice for taking with me on the road. The other issue you might have had with the Hugo with the Utopias is that it can come off as a bit bright and thin...thankfully the TT is what I would classify as natural and ethereal...quite different that way.

The differences are quite profound and actually within the first minute of A-Bing them during my Headphone.Guru review I was sucked in by the TT. I certainly was hoping to not be so impressed with it as my wallet didn't want me to sell my current DAC and move onto this one...but one year later, I sure am glad I did!

Got it, thanks for the impression. I feel the same for the Hugo, it sounds good with my Fitears or noble k10, just not right pairing with the Utopia. Any recommendation on a portable dac/amp for the Utopia? I've tried my only portable dac/amp headamp picco, even worse than the Hugo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back