Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,627 of 5,632
  I've been listening to both quite a lot over the last week. Imaging is great on both, with the 800 winning but not by a lot. Soundstage on the 800s is of course quite large and airy. The Elear has more of a natural, realistic sounding soundstage. It's far more intimate than the 800, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Feel that vocals are especially more "in your face" sounding.

Can you please tell me what amp are you using? When I heard HD800 with Crack amp I really liked it whereas it was meh when paired with a solid state amp.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #2,628 of 5,632

Can you please tell me what amp are you using? When I heard HD800 with Crack amp I really liked it whereas it was meh when paired with a solid state amp.

I actually have a Crack and usually listen to my 800 on it. However, I've been listening the Elears and 800s on the new Questyle CMA-600i. It powers the 800s surprisingly well. I've been listening to both SE as I have balanced cables on the way.

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #2,629 of 5,632

I actually have a Crack and usually listen to my 800 on it. However, I've been listening the Elears and 800s on the new Questyle CMA-600i. It powers the 800s surprisingly well. I've been listening to both SE as I have balanced cables on the way.

Don't you think that this is the reason why the HD800 imaging is perceived marginally better than that of ELEAR? I believe SS amps are lacing in sound stage and imaging. Can you please compare HD800+Crack with ELEAR+CMA-600i?

Cheers

Sep 6, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #2,630 of 5,632

Don't you think that this is the reason why the HD800 imaging is perceived marginally better than that of ELEAR? I believe SS amps are lacing in sound stage and imaging. Can you please compare HD800+Crack with ELEAR+CMA-600i?

Cheers

Sure, I'll try to give them a listen sometime soon.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2,631 of 5,632
  What about Mojo + Focal Utopia + Metallica? I definitely don't have the means to acquire both (Utopia + Hugo TT) at the same time, the Utopia (with DHC cable) will certainly murder my poor wallet.

Sounds great to my ears.

The Utopias are fairly efficient and not too hard to drive, so the Mojo has plenty in reserve to power them and like x RELIC x said, the pairing sounds great to my ears as well.

Sep 6, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #2,632 of 5,632

Thanks MacedonianHero.  As someone who is in the market for a desktop DAC and loves the level of detail and soundstage the Hugo provides, I may just have to put it up for sale to help fund the Hugo TT.  From what I gathered, you are only driving the Utopia out of the Hugo TT and not using your GSX Mk II amp?

For the most part I am. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Utopias are fairly efficient and not too hard to drive. They sound great through my TT alone or with it paired with my GS-X Mk2.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #2,635 of 5,632
I've been listening to both quite a lot over the last week. Imaging is great on both, with the 800 winning but not by a lot. Soundstage on the 800s is of course quite large and airy. The Elear has more of a natural, realistic sounding soundstage. It's far more intimate than the 800, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Feel that vocals are especially more "in your face" sounding.

Sounds like the T1.1. I'm very interesed how the two will compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back