Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,506 of 5,632
Gold plated? They didn't dull the highs? Gold is a terrible conductor.

When done right, it works great. The problem is that many use too much gold, relative to the use. Silver, copper then gold for conductance. The nice thing about silver is that silver oxide still works good as a conductor but copper oxide does't and the right amount of gold, done in the correct method, from all that I have read and doing comparison with pure silver to the Twau cable, has proved this to my ears. 

Sep 3, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #2,507 of 5,632
When done right, it works great. The problem is that many use too much gold, relative to the use. Silver, copper then gold for conductance. The nice thing about silver is that silver oxide still works good as a conductor but copper oxide does't and the right amount of gold, done in the correct method, from all that I have read and doing comparison with pure silver to the Twau cable, has proved this to my ears. 

Yes, silver is the way to go with that route, especially pure 7N type. Only DHC and Norne have it.

Sep 3, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,510 of 5,632
  Yes, the end of the HD800 empire is near....I wonder what Sennheiser has in store for us; bet you they won't take this sitting down....prepare to be amazed!

Hi figaro,
Yeah, they certainly got competition now, and you can buy a used set + Norne cable for $900.  Amazing.  However, they still sound superb to my ears!

Cheers,
RCB

Sep 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #2,511 of 5,632
That is very good advice. I will point out that there are 5 people commenting that are using Nordost Heimdal2 and 2 that are using Kimber Kable Axios. I also noticed a number using DHC and other cables

DanaCable will also be offering a Utopia option for their upcoming Lazuli Reference series. I am reviewing it currently with the Abyss and it is very eye opening. The best cable I have ever heard, BY FAR. I'd be interested to hear how it plays out with the Utopia.

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #2,513 of 5,632
Kind of strange question, but as right of now I don't have any other reference: how is the bass from utopia compared to OPPO PM 3?

3,500x better (to be exact).

Sep 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #2,514 of 5,632
Sep 3, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,516 of 5,632
3,500x better (to be exact).

I kid, of course. Utopia is less bloated through the midbass with cleaner separation from the lower mids. Physically, the Utopia hits a pinch harder, but the dynamic range from peak to silence is wider. The PM-3 has a little more subbass quantity, but the Utopia has better clarity and quality in that range. Overall, I'd give the PM-3 about a 7/10 in bass and the Utopia a 10/10 from a quality standpoint.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #2,517 of 5,632
I kid, of course. Utopia is less bloated through the midbass with cleaner separation from the lower mids. Physically, the Utopia hits a pinch harder, but the dynamic range from peak to silence is wider. The PM-3 has a little more subbass quantity, but the Utopia has better clarity and quality in that range. Overall, I'd give the PM-3 about a 7/10 in bass and the Utopia a 10/10 from a quality standpoint.
thanks for this quality response!

Sep 3, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,518 of 5,632

I am happy for this response. Gives a slight idea as to maybe the comparison to the elear? Overall, how would u say the two stack up, the elear and PM3 if you have heard the elear? It is also my point of reference

Sep 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #2,519 of 5,632
I am happy for this response. Gives a slight idea as to maybe the comparison to the elear? Overall, how would u say the two stack up, the elear and PM3 if you have heard the elear? It is also my point of reference

If the PM3 is a 7 on the bass, Elear is a 7.5 and Utopia is a 10. It's very good, and as I have said several times, it is a popular sound signature many folks will love. The utopia is just at another level, which is rarified air.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2,520 of 5,632
Did anybody have a chance to compare the Utopia against Sony's new flagship
$2,199 ​
headphone, the MDR-Z1R?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/818846/the-official-sony-mdr-z1r-flagship-headphone-thread-live-from-ifa-2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back