Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #2,521 of 5,632
If the PM3 is a 7 on the bass, Elear is a 7.5 and Utopia is a 10. It's very good, and as I have said several times, it is a popular sound signature many folks will love. The utopia is just at another level, which is rarified air.

This gives me some thought. I guess I would somehow have to hear the elear. I am going to assume the rest of the signature is what sets it apart from the PM3 if the elear and pm3 are so close in the bass.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,522 of 5,632
This gives me some thought. I guess I would somehow have to hear the elear. I am going to assume the rest of the signature is what sets it apart from the PM3 if the elear and pm3 are so close in the bass.

Can't say I'm too familiar with PM3 beyond casual listening but I would highly recommend for you to listen to Eléar...I'm growing to love it more by the days but of course, Utopia is an absolute beast of a headphone. That being said, Eléar have a more forgiving sound and is very very good against anything below $2K.

Of course this is just my opinion YMMV

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,523 of 5,632
Anyone can share the experience of third party cable, looking for one for the Utopia, DHC and Dana seems to be standing out, which one do you think is more suitable for the Utopia? And the lead time for both? Thanks

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #2,526 of 5,632
Anyone can share the experience of third party cable, looking for one for the Utopia, DHC and Dana seems to be standing out, which one do you think is more suitable for the Utopia? And the lead time for both? Thanks

I am using a modular Twau cable from Whiplash. Excellent presentation all the way around. Both the cable and the Utopia need more burn in time but the comfort alone is worth it over the stock cable. In the end though, I have used Twau with other headphones and I have found it gets you closer to the music with a clean frequency response. Violins are pure beauty with the right sweet sound (I used to play one). 

Have anyone here heard the utopia with microzotl 2.0? I really want the utopia and I own the mz2, but I don't know how they pair.

Yes, I use it with the mZ2. Very spacious, dynamic and what I call a tuneful bass (it sounds like notes not just bass). I use the 7062 Amperex (most all were made by the same company) and 6SN7W short tube black base. I use either there upgraded power supply or the Mojo V PS. 

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,528 of 5,632
  Hi figaro,
Yeah, they certainly got competition now, and you can buy a used set + Norne cable for $900.  Amazing.  However, they still sound superb to my ears!

Cheers,
RCB

Sennheiser needs to go back to the drawing board and start over on a new TOTL. I'm hanging on to my HD800 strictly for the purpose of referring to them for comparisons. I'll no longer tolerate them for extended listening..

I will ask: For someone that does not have an HD800 already, is it worth buying it used for $800 rather than getting an Elear?

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #2,529 of 5,632
Here's a great formula for outstanding sound:

Chord Hugo TT + Focal Utopia + Metallica = 
L3000.gif

Seriously good head banging stuff.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,531 of 5,632
  Have you heard of the HD800S? 

Yes, when it came out I tried it out to see if it corrected my issues with the 800. It somewhat mitigated the treble harshness, but it did nothing to address the lack of bass. It is still a thin headphone.

In hindsight, Sennheiser lost a huge opportunity to truly own the top market because they really did not improve the HD800.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,532 of 5,632

Yes, when it came out I tried it out to see if it corrected my issues with the 800. It somewhat mitigated the treble harshness, but it did nothing to address the lack of bass. It is still a thin headphone.

In hindsight, Sennheiser lost a huge opportunity to truly own the top market because they really did not improve the HD800.

I don't find either "lack bass". If you look at the FR plots, they go down pretty low and the bass quality is outstanding.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #2,533 of 5,632

I don't find either "lack bass". If you look at the FR plots, they go down pretty low and the bass quality is outstanding.

If it's one thing that I've learned, FR plots do not tell the whole story. The interesting thing about the 800 and 800s is that they do well with instrument produced bass (think cello, double bass, bass guitar, etc.). However, try listening to bass from a genre like electronica or hip hop and you can forget about bass coming from the 800s.

Anyway, I find all of this is now moot. Any headphone maker that is trying to compete at the top level and is still going to make flawed headphones, will no longer be competing.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #2,534 of 5,632

If it's one thing that I've learned, FR plots do not tell the whole story. The interesting thing about the 800 and 800s is that they do well with instrument produced bass (think cello, double bass, bass guitar, etc.). However, try listening to bass from a genre like electronica or hip hop and you can forget about bass coming from the 800s.

Anyway, I find all of this is now moot. Any headphone maker that is trying to compete at the top level and is still going to make flawed headphones, will no longer be competing.

No they don't, but when it comes to frequency and the depth of range, they do. Sorry, never listen to that music at all....not sure how old you are, but I'm in my mid 40s...so it's rock, metal and jazz for me. If you're looking for more oumph down low, I'd suggest you give the LCD-X/LCD-4 a try.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,535 of 5,632
  No they don't, but when it comes to frequency and the depth of range, they do. Sorry, never listen to that music at all....not sure how old you are, but I'm in my mid 40s...so it's rock, metal and jazz for me. If you're looking for more oumph down low, I'd suggest you give the LCD-X/LCD-4 a try.

I hate to admit it, but I'm getting old.
darthsmile.gif
I just happen to listen to a wide range of genres. That makes it really difficult to find a headphone that works with all of the genres.

Thanks for the recommendations, but I have a pair of the LCD-X and they did well for most genres, but their treble didn't quite sing. The LCD-4 was an upgrade to the LCD-X on the same order as the HD800s was an upgrade to the HD800; a slight improvement that was not worth the upgrade.

Three weeks ago I picked up a pair of Utopias and these handle every genre I listen to superbly. I won't be looking for an upgrade anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back