Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Sep 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #2,552 of 5,632
Is there big surrender between Hugo and tt? Hugo isn't up to the task for sure.

What on earth is the meaning of this?!?

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #2,553 of 5,632
I have tried it with three different amps. The Oppo HA-1, Woo Audio WA7tp Fireflies, and the Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold. The HA-1 does a good enough job, but compared to the other ones it does not stand out in any way.

The WA7 is not as clean, clear, and resolving as the LAu, but the bass hits harder with this amp.

The LAu gives incredible imaging, clarity, and resolution. I can pick out and focus on any piece of the music. This is the best amp I've heard with it.

Thanks for the accompanied description of each. It sounds like it plays well with them all. Of course, that just makes me want a LAu that much more.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #2,555 of 5,632
What on earth is the meaning of this?!?

I would guess that it is a question at to how much if any, a difference in sound quality between the two and how much the Hugo gives up to the Hugo TT. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #2,556 of 5,632
I would guess that it is a question at to how much if any, a difference in sound quality between the two and how much the Hugo gives up to the Hugo TT. 

Well It just didn't make much sense but saying the Hugo isn't upto the task of driving this or any other headphone or being part of any HiFi system seems unlikely given its almost unanimously great reputation. (wow that was a long sentence)

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,557 of 5,632
What kind of amps work well with Utopia?  I read through the Can Jam London thread and noticed it sounded great on both solid state and tube amps, but I always take show impressions with a grain of salt for fundamental reasons.  Despite the fact that it's easy to drive and rather efficient, I'm hearing that it scales incredibly well with an amp and would like to hear some of the better combinations.

Did you see Jude's video review at the start of this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv#post_12650954. Some of his amp recommendations for the Utopia are at the end.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #2,558 of 5,632
Did you see Jude's video review at the start of this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv#post_12650954. Some of his amp recommendations for the Utopia are at the end.
There are lots of amps that work with the Utopia. I'd suggest starting with the headphones and use them to audition amps until you find that audio nirvana we all search for

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2,559 of 5,632
I wonder how my Auralic Vega + MHA100 or the RS Darkstar would drive the Utopias.  The only reason why I am holding out for the time being is the issue about the soundstage because I listen to classical music exclusively.  Currently my best "soundstage" headphones are: HD800 > Grado PS1000 > Beyer T1 > MacIntosh MHP1000.  If the Utopias are on par with the Grado PS1000s - which I consider to be excellent with regard to soundstage - then I am in like Flynn.  If the soundstage is similar to the Audio Technica 3000anv, they I'm staying on the sidelines.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,560 of 5,632
Well It just didn't make much sense but saying the Hugo isn't upto the task of driving this or any other headphone or being part of any HiFi system seems unlikely given its almost unanimously great reputation. (wow that was a long sentence)

This reputation is unanimous mostly in the Hugo thread. Over time, some more discerning views have started to appear. I imagine that a Google search of the product's name + "lean" or "bright" might be illustrative. And the Hugo's "amp" section has been described as lacking all along by a stalwart group of connoisseurs.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #2,561 of 5,632
Honestly, the Utopia's are easy to drive. The real question is 'will I like the sound of my amp'?

Also, after more time I'm finding that the soundstage with the Utopia is more a matter of the recording than the headphone. Using a headphone that makes close mic'd studio recordings sound wide is completely unnatural to me. In my opinion, if the recording has a good sense of soundstage (decay, room reflections, and reverberation) then the Utopia will portray that with very lifelike clarity. Of course, YMMV.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,562 of 5,632
Honestly, the Utopia's are easy to drive. The real question is 'will I like the sound of my amp'?

Also, after more time I'm finding that the soundstage with the Utopia is more a matter of the recording than the headphone. Using a headphone that makes close mic'd studio recordings sound wide is completely unnatural to me. In my opinion, if the recording has a good sense of soundstage (decay, room reflections, and reverberation) then the Utopia will portray that with very lifelike clarity. Of course, YMMV.

That is what I find also. It doesn't make the music sound like something it isn't. On good to great recordings, that is how it sounds. On recordings I have enjoyed in the past, I hear more into them now, making them even more enjoyable. 

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,563 of 5,632

I'd agree with that the utopia has a very transparent sound with my chord Dave, it's very true to the recording rather than an overly colorful rendition. Old miles Davis in bar recording sound as such and Carnegie hall Leonard Bernstein sounds like a concert hall. Pop recording or poor recording sound as such as well no added sound stage.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #2,564 of 5,632
This reputation is unanimous mostly in the Hugo thread. Over time, some more discerning views have started to appear. I imagine that a Google search of the product's name + "lean" or "bright" might be illustrative. And the Hugo's "amp" section has been described as lacking all along by a stalwart group of connoisseurs.

No never read that thread the reputation in my mind stems from every single review by all the well respected HiFi publications and professional review sites and the fact that is a Chord products(speaks for itself)

I will probably never get a chance to hear one but will be happy one day to possess a Mojo.Even happier if it worked with my ipod Classics

Being a bit of a Focal fan, a lover of natural sounding and very dynamic headphones and a bit of a Francophile i will also one day own the Elear

Being a tight fisted and relatively poor Yorkshireman I shall however have to wait for :-

A/ the Elear inevitably drops in price

B/ Mojo becomes available more widely & cheaply on the secondhand market

(Note. A Yorkshireman for the benefit of non British members is even more miserly than the average Scotsman:)

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,565 of 5,632
This reputation is unanimous mostly in the Hugo thread. Over time, some more discerning views have started to appear. 

Wrong thread, but I think by using the term "discerning", you have discounted the opinion of a large number of reviewers.  Granted, no product has unanimous support, but certainly the Hugo has a pretty stellar reputation.  Nevertheless, everyone's taste will form their opinion.  Vive Le Difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back