Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #541 of 5,632
mmm.....I'm still trying to get a clearer picture of the various posted  impressions of the Utopia. Based on this tone wheel (from Lawton Audio; I hope they do not mind. tia) and based on your listening sessions, where would the Utopia's sonic footprint/sound signature/performance/DOMINANT characteristicss or flavor  lie:

http://lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html

For those of us who do not understand/nor care about measurements or graphs  (like myself) , this info will be far more useful. TIA.

Jun 20, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #542 of 5,632
  mmm.....I'm still trying to get a clearer picture of the various posted  impressions of the Utopia. Based on this tone wheel (from Lawton Audio; I hope they do not mind. tia) and based on your listening sessions, where would the Utopia's sonic footprint/sound signature/performance/DOMINANT characteristicss or flavor  lie:

http://lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html

For those of us who do not understand/nor care about measurements or graphs  (like myself) , this info will be far more useful. TIA.

Hmm, I'm not a big fan of that tone wheel... but if I absolutely had to use it, I'd say the Utopia is probably something like this:

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #543 of 5,632
Hi guys!  
smile.gif

In all of the busy-ness leading up to our Focal Launch Event at The Source AV, I didn’t have a chance to post up the impressions that I gathered a while back.  Since I had a little bit of downtime today, I thought I’d take some time to post some up.

I'll be setting specifications, materials, technology, and comfort aside for a moment - to focus solely on sonic impressions.

BTW @Greggo, I know I still owe you some answers to your questions, and I hope that these impressions (and those of the Elear that are yet to come) will cover most of what you were asking.  If there’s anything else you’d like to know after all of this, please ask and I’ll be happy to answer them if I can.

Focal Utopia Impressions

Associated Equipment:

•    Amarra 3.0.3; Build 4559
    •    Amarra for TIDAL; v.2.2.1261
    •    Apple MacBook Pro; OSX 10.11.5
    •    Schiit Wyrd
    •    Schiit Yggdrasil
    •    Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold
    •    Schiit PYST USB A-B (x2)
    •    Nordost Blue Heaven power cord
    •    Nordost Heimdall power cord
    •    Kimber Kable Ascent Series Hero XLR interconnects

Auditioning Conditions:

These impressions were gathered in a quiet room at The Source AV, on my personal rig (details above), and with my own music - over the course of 7 hours - with some breaks in between to let our ears rest (and for lunch).  There was no talking allowed whenever listening was taking place, and we even left the air conditioning off in order to preserve a quiet environment.  I'd also like to add that these impressions were gathered from a pair of Utopias that had quite a few hours on them, as opposed to many of the fresh units that were recently at the launch event @ The Source AV.

Summary:

I found these to be incredibly well-balanced throughout the entire frequency range, and especially so for a dynamic driver headphone.  In my book, it’s certainly more balanced than any other dynamic-driver headphone currently available, the HD 800S included, and it even compares favorably with many planar headphones in terms of overall linearity throughout the audible range (20Hz-20kHz).

I was also impressed with how the Utopia was remarkably free of audible distortion, and sounded exceedingly clean as a result, particularly in the upper mid-range.  I emphasize this lack of distortion because I consider it to be one of the Utopia’s greatest strengths.  Many headphones, even TOTL headphones, tend to have a peak in the upper mids, which many people have a sensitivity towards.  When this peak is combined with distortion, the result is harshness, edginess and stridency - which only exacerbates the inherent and aforementioned peakiness.  Again, the Utopia’s lack of audible distortion allows it to avoid such a pitfall, which I appreciated on a technical level, and thoroughly enjoyed during listening.  :)

Also notable, and as an honorable mention, is the fantastic extension at both ends.  For me, the Utopia’s response was extremely linear, with no displeasing roll-off at either end.  Okay, now it’s time to get into some details!

Sub-Bass

The Utopia’s sub-bass can be downright seismic, as it is within the slow and sentimental sub-bass tones that play counterpoint to the organ in Sade’s By Your Side.  It can also be quite tight and precise, with sharp attack and decay characteristics, as it is in the periodic sub-bass hit that punctuates TLC’s No Scrubs.  It all depends on what your tracks demand.  But in every single track I played, the sub-bass response was always very well controlled, exhibiting excellent dynamics, and rendered with a rare sense of sophistication.  I remember thinking to myself, during my audition, that the Utopia’s sub-bass was reminiscent of JL Audio Fathoms, in that it was a harmonious blend of both quality and quantity of sub-bass.

Bass:

The Utopia’s mid-bass response - for me - is a nearly perfect blend of speed, control, dynamics, and tonal richness.  I loved the sense of quickness that the Utopia brought to The Spinner’s Working My Way Back To You.  Every single time the kick drum and bass line fell into alignment, hitting and decaying just right (punchy and fast), it made we want to get up and dance… or hit an Eighties style disco roller rink (yes, I’m that old).  With Chantal Kreviazuk’s Before You, the Utopia’s controlled bass response rewarded me with a hearty but composed percussion that actually allowed me to enjoy the recording as much as I enjoy the song itself.  A little over a minute into Madeon’s Icarus, there’s a passage of sudden drum and bass stabs and jabs that come at you from nowhere, and cut back just as quickly, and they’re absolutely thrilling because of the Utopia’s excellent dynamics.  But my favorite part of the Utopia’s bass is the tonal richness that it offers, despite it’s predilection towards speed and precision.  Taken too far, fast and detailed bass can become “planar bass” in that texture starts to overwhelm warmth.  This is never the case with the Utopia, as it manages to preserve organic bass tones well, without ever rendering them too analytically, so that I can continue to groove on Avi’s baselines in Pentatonix’s Daft Punk medley.

Lower Mids:

Though it may not be immediately obvious to us, the Utopia’s lower mids are outstanding.  They are devoid of even the slightest hint of bass bleed, thus preserving the purity and sensuality of the piano and vocals in Les Nubians’s Princesse Nubienne, without letting that track’s mid-bass elements muddy things up.  And while they’re never lush or bloomy, the Utopia’s lower mids are also full-bodied enough so as not to be recessed. Thank goodness for this, as I rather enjoyed Luca Stricagnoli’s  percussive acoustic stylings from his cover of AC-DC’s Thunderstruck.  In fact, so clean yet lively are the lower mids, that if you told me there was a dedicated driver just to present lower mids with clean authority, I could imagine how the Utopia would sound exactly as if there were.

Mid-Range:

The Utopia’s mid-range presentation is the crown jewel of its treasured frequency response.  It’s a trifecta of liveliness, detail and refinement - where the combination of the Utopia’s speed and lack of distortion weave together to wrap us in a perfect tapestry of notes that simply sing… clothed in fine, satin-like textural details… amidst a silky smoothness that lends each and every note a delicate sense of refinement.  As a result, everything from vocals (the intoxicating polyphonic chorus in Imogen Heap’s Hide and Seek), to piano (the staccato-like pluckiness of Andras Schiff playing the Allemande from J.S. Bach’s English Suite No. 3), to electric guitars (the plaintive and romantic slide guitar in Sarah Jarosz’s Ring Them Bells), to brass (the biting sarcasm of Leonard Bernstein’s comic parody - Overture to Candide), to strings (Mairead Nesbitt’s pleading fiddle from Celtic Woman’s Pie Jesu) are all presented with the exact sonic qualities you’d expect to hear from those instruments.  In a word, the Utopia’s midrange is simply glorious.  Female vocal fanatics, in particular, will delight at the cleanliness that is next to godliness in the Utopia’s pristine rendering of angels… angels that seem to sing directly to our souls (or loins if you’re hopelessly infatuated with J-Pop or K-Pop).

Upper Mids:

In the upper mids, the Utopia remains linear and checks its ego at the door. Appropriately, it never over-reaches, and instead leaves all air and sparkle duties to the highs.  As a result, it was never once strident or peaky, thus maintaining a decisive advantage over the HD 800.  And the only sibilance that I could elicit from the Utopia came from tracks where I knew it to be present (Echosmith’s Bright, Ride’s Twisterella).

Highs:

Highs are rendered with both substance and sincerity, particularly with regard to percussive elements.  The cymbals and hats from The B-52’s Follow Your Bliss have a genuine sense of body to them, and are presented as visceral sounds emanating from tangible instruments.  They are never splashy, thin or wispy.  There is plenty of shimmer and air to go around of course, owing to the Utopia’s excellent top-end extension, but it’s never just shimmer at the expense of substance, with Taylor Eigsti’s Get Your Hopes Up as a shining example of this.

Overall, the Utopia’s linearity and tonal richness seemed to synergize perfectly with the Liquid Gold’s fluidity and natural musicality.  It was a brilliant pairing.

Detail:

Among one of the most resolving headphones I’ve yet heard to date, electrostatic headphones notwithstanding, the Utopia is absolutely laden with detail.  The best part is that it offers a  balanced (and almost synergistic) blend of macro-detail and micro-detail.  Whereas many headphones seem to excel in one or the other, the Utopia renders both evenly for more convincing imaging and overall coherency.

Staging:

The Utopia’s staging is superb.  The Trashcan Sinatras’s Best Days on Earth is rendered with just the right amount of atmosphere to give it the dreamy quality it strives to evoke.  The staging is not nearly as wide or expansive as that of an HD 800.  However, as the HD 800’s staging - especially in terms of width - is rather exaggerated in my opinion, the Utopia’s staging winds up sounding far more accurate and realistic.  Rooms sound like a rooms, and not like concert halls, as they should.

Distortion:

I’ve already touched on this in the summary above, but I’d like to add another note here.  At times, the Utopia performs as if there’s a distortion filter built into it.  It cleans up Teenage Fanclub’s The Concept quite a bit, as if it audibly groomed them and turned them into clean-cut boys vs the shoegazers that they are.

Versus Audeze LCD-4:

The most notable difference between these two is that the Utopia is more lively and tonally-rich in the midrange, making the LCD-4’s mids seems slightly recessed and dry by comparison.  Overall, the LCD-4’s presentation is more analytical, whereas the Utopia’s presentation is more evocative.  For those familiar with Audeze’s line-up, a fitting analogy is to say:  the Utopia is to the LCD-4, as the LCD-3 is to the LCD-X.

Versus HE-1000:

Right away, one notices that the HE-1000 is elevated in the highs vs the Utopia, both in terms of levels and top-end extension.  It is brighter, and thinner up top, which gives it a greater sense of sparkle… but that also contributes to somewhat of a splashy quality that the Utopia does not suffer from.  And while the HE-1000 is known for it’s viscerally-detailed bass response, the Utopia offers a fuller and more organic mid-bass… which I feel gives it a more natural low end than the HE1000’s terrific - but ultimately “planar” - bass.

Drawbacks:  

A few years ago, Pioneer released a headphone exclusively for home theater enthusiasts.  As a result, that headphone came with a rather girthy 6-meter cable.  This was so that users could plug the headphone into their receivers, and then listen from sofas that may be some distance away.  For those of you familiar with it, that headphone is known as the SE-A1000.

The Utopia’s package includes only one cable, and it’s 4 meters in length.  I know, that’s not quite as long as 6 meters.  Nevertheless it is still one long-ass cable, with a non-trivial amount of heft and girth was well.  I don’t have an inherent problem with this design feature, but at the same time I would like to point out that most of us simply do not listen from that far away, and I think that most of you would agree with me on that.  As such, I must list it out as a drawback.

That said, I would like to point out that there is a very simple way to remedy this.  Focal can make a last-minute running line change where:  (a) they make a 1-meter cable, and include that in the packaging instead; while (b) they turn existing inventory of the 4-meter cable into an optional accessory.  Just my 2¢.

Okay... pretty tired now.  
redface.gif
  I'll come back with Elear impressions tomorrow.

Jun 20, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #544 of 5,632
Jun 20, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #545 of 5,632
early days but the utopia isn't looking like a "game changer" and hasn't eclipsed the hd800/s. factor in the sizeable difference in price between the two and the hd800/s continues to look like a high-end bargain, if there can be such a thing.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #546 of 5,632
early days but the utopia isn't looking like a "game changer" and hasn't eclipsed the hd800/s. factor in the sizeable difference in price between the two and the hd800/s continues to look like a high-end bargain, if there can be such a thing.

Reading @warrenpchi detailed comment I'm not sure the HD800/S can be called a contender or I haven't understood well the onliest comparison point and it is not in favor
of the HD800/S:

Staging:

The Utopia’s staging is superb.  The Trashcan Sinatras’s Best Days on Earth is rendered with just the right amount of atmosphere to give it the dreamy quality it strives to evoke.  The staging is not nearly as wide or expansive as that of an HD 800.  However, as the HD 800’s staging - especially in terms of width - is rather exaggerated in my opinion, the Utopia’s staging winds up sounding far more accurate and realistic.  Rooms sound like a rooms, and not like concert halls, as they should.

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #548 of 5,632
Both the HD 800 and Utopia are two different flavors with regards to the soundstage they both present, in my opinion.  A listener may prefer one or the other (or both).

Jun 20, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #549 of 5,632
Jun 20, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #550 of 5,632
Jun 20, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #551 of 5,632
Reading @warrenpchi detailed comment I'm not sure the HD800/S can be called a contender or I haven't understood well the onliest comparison point and it is not in favor
of the HD800/S:

his isn't "the onliest comparison point". try the previous page...

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #552 of 5,632
great write up @warrenpchi , thank you so much for sharing all of that.

Your description of the upper mid to highs trap many TOTL headphone's fall into brings a smile to my face as I am slowly getting the experience and confidence to be a bit of a contrarian on some of the big points of acceptace/agreement on these forums. I think headphone companies have over delivered on initial impressions to the point that there is now real push back, just like food companies putting too much salt and sugar in our food and people realizing it doesn't taste like real food anymore. The Nighthawks aren't perfect by any stretch, but they are the only headphone I plan to keep for a while. The HD800S is still my next target and I do think it is a bargain at this point but I do not value the expansive stage nor sense of detail like most, I just think the package of technicalities and balance of sound and comfort qualifies highly and they have earned their place on most peoples list of TOTL headphones. I will continue to look forward to hearing the Utopia in person some day, but based on your description I am confident that I will eventually own a pair but I haven't climbed up to that level yet and funds would be a stretch... If I never get there I will certainly be fine and have no bitterness about industry pricing.

I think there is a very good chance that the next stop will be Dan's Ether E, and given the light weight and comfort that is being reported those might be the next step beyond the HD800S for me. What I find really fascinating about the Utopia is that it seems to take a big chunk of the planar value proposition (not in dollars but in unique technicalities) and turn it sideways if not completely upside down. This is what really has my attention, at each price point from 500-3000 dollars, I see the balance shifting back to dynamics or estats, IMHO... and I think over the next year or two the Utopia just may prove capable of defending the turf around its price point and becoming the new target for "reasonable state of the art", meaning no contortions of user or electronics required, just plug into most rigs and get the very best of what they are capable of offering.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #553 of 5,632

Who was this directed to?  Just wondering.

No direction. The HD800 has a different soundstage presentation and you are right that it can be prefered depending of the listener but we know that this soundstage is false.
It was spectacular 9 years ago when those headphones hit the market but technology now allows to manufacture headphones which comes closer to reality.

The question is: do we listen to put images on our dreams or do we try to hear what the musicians played registering ? Perhaps our own choices come from the personnal answer.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #554 of 5,632
Thanks for your great impression on the Focal Utopia, @Warrenpchi. Such great impressions, put foolish notions into a foolish slack dog. These cans look amazing, I just wish they are a little lighter and came with a shorter XLR cable. Furthermore the sonic characteristics you describe , have me salivating. Perhaps one day I will be able to get these headphones.

Jun 20, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #555 of 5,632
What I want to know, could the Utopia playing realy loud  and is still clean in every detail  ?  I did listen to my Organ music via Egoista on a very high volume setting and every thing is clear, the same is with the Pio M I, but with many other headphone I have trouble on high volume. So can the Utopia deliver high volume ?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back