Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 19, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #526 of 5,632
My guess is likely 60% Elear and 40% Utopia although it might be 70/30 respectively. I'll know better tomorrow and being there are 13 planning on returning to make their final decisions this next week, we'll have a finally tally from the launch itself from in store sales. 8-9 of that 13 perspective additions are more interested in the Utopia. I respect that they take their time and choose wisely.

Thank-you Jason.

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #527 of 5,632
I didn't listen to that setup myself.  I listened to it on the Tungsten, Gold, Questyle gold stack, CMA600i and HAD430 (yesterday specifically...I heard it on more gear too when I was writing the review.)  For me, I think the Utopia is so clean that is needs a super clean amp.  That means either a good SS or a REALLY good tube amp like the Tungsten or WA5.  I plan on putting some time into the WA5 pairing the next time I'm down at The Source.

The Elear paired pretty well with the tube amps, just like a HD650.  In fact, I saw someone buy a WA8 and Elear while I was there yesterday.

Please share your thoughts on Tungsten + Utopia? Did the way you describe the Tungsten at socal still hold true with Utopia?

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #528 of 5,632
Please share your thoughts on Tungsten + Utopia? Did the way you describe the Tungsten at socal still hold true with Utopia?

There was a new prototype of the Tungsten at the event.  It didn't have enough hours on it to be fully burnt-in and so wasn't sound quite as unbelievable as the first prototype.  That unit struck me a about the same as the Liquid Gold but with some of that tube sweetness.  Overall with the Utopia it was a great pairing, more than good enough to reveal the subtleties that the Utopia can provide.

The original prototype was having some issues at first so we kept it locked up in the back instead of giving a potentially bad presentation.  Once it got dialed in, I was running it off my DAC-19 in the relatively quiet back room.  I got a chance to listen to the Utopia on it along with Nicolas from Focal (it turns out we have some musical tastes in common and we were trading music on Tidal) and it was as good as I remember from Socal.  That extra little bit of performance, combined with the DAC-19 (which seems to pair particularly well with the LW), made the Utopia sing.  

You know it's a good setup when the guy in charge of the final voicing for the headphone (and indeed all Focal products!) closes his eyes, smiles and nods his head to the music.  It's that look that many of us saw on folks who were demoing the LW at Socal.  lol

I've no doubt that there's a Utopia and LW in my future... it may be quite some time into the future as that is not a cheap combo and I have a family to feed and clothe, but I'm going to be working on it!

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #529 of 5,632
Sorry,It's little bit to early to speak about this Upcoming Masterpiece from RYBACK&RENNER

NOMAX

PS.all in alluminium,weight will be not 500 gramm,not 400gramm......will be under 320 gramm.....you will see more about STRATOSPHERE at End of this year

hmmmmmm, so it will be announced at the end of this year, i hope the price will not be such hi-end. If their sound is similar to K1000 and better, 1999USD will be a good price! Exciting!

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #530 of 5,632
There was a new prototype of the Tungsten at the event.  It didn't have enough hours on it to be fully burnt-in and so wasn't sound quite as unbelievable as the first prototype.  That unit struck me a about the same as the Liquid Gold but with some of that tube sweetness.  Overall with the Utopia it was a great pairing, more than good enough to reveal the subtleties that the Utopia can provide.

The original prototype was having some issues at first so we kept it locked up in the back instead of giving a potentially bad presentation.  Once it got dialed in, I was running it off my DAC-19 in the relatively quiet back room.  I got a chance to listen to the Utopia on it along with Nicolas from Focal (it turns out we have some musical tastes in common and we were trading music on Tidal) and it was as good as I remember from Socal.  That extra little bit of performance, combined with the DAC-19 (which seems to pair particularly well with the LW), made the Utopia sing.  

You know it's a good setup when the guy in charge of the final voicing for the headphone (and indeed all Focal products!) closes his eyes, smiles and nods his head to the music.  It's that look that many of us saw on folks who were demoing the LW at Socal.  lol

I've no doubt that there's a Utopia and LW in my future... it may be quite some time into the future as that is not a cheap combo and I have a family to feed and clothe, but I'm going to be working on it!

Thank you for the update Dan. The Liquid Tungsten and Focal Utopia seem like a match made in heaven. The Liquid Tungsten might make me sell by beloved Liquid Crimson. And yes I agree the Liquid Crimson makes my HE1000 sound fantastic. I really need to audition the Utopia. I might vet the the HD800S, till I can save up for the Utopia as well as the Liquid Tungsten.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #531 of 5,632
My guess is likely 60% Elear and 40% Utopia although it might be 70/30 respectively. I'll know better tomorrow and being there are 13 planning on returning to make their final decisions this next week, we'll have a finally tally from the launch itself from in store sales. 8-9 of that 13 perspective additions are more interested in the Utopia. I respect that they take their time and choose wisely.

Thanks Jason for embracing the headphone community as you have. The only other time we get a chance to spend time comparing this amount of equipment is at major events like CanJam or T.H.E. Show Newport. It's awesome that you make your store available for us to evaluate headphones and electronics in a casual atmosphere with food and drink. I don't understand the negative vibe from people accusing you of shilling for the manufacturers. We as consumers are the one's who benefit. I came close to opening my wallet for the Elears, but you know you'll eventually get me!

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #532 of 5,632
Thank you Stillhart for sharing your thoughts on the Tungsten. Ever since your Impression from Socal, I keep thinking about the floating sound that has no limit and looking forward to get one when it is available. I auditioned the Chord DAVE, I think a DAVE-Tungsten-Utopia setup could be mind blowing. After Socal Cavalli was going to further fine tune the LW and I was worried that the sound signature could be changed for the worse. By the way, do you know If the Hugo can drive the Utopia adequately?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #533 of 5,632
Thank you Stillhart for sharing your thoughts on the Tungsten. Ever since your Impression from Socal, I keep thinking about the floating sound that has no limit and looking forward to get one when it is available. I auditioned the Chord DAVE, I think a DAVE-Tungsten-Utopia setup could be mind blowing. After Socal Cavalli was going to further fine tune the LW and I was worried that the sound signature could be changed for the worse. By the way, do you know If the Hugo can drive the Utopia adequately?

No, unfortunately I don't know if the Hugo can drive the Utopia adequately.  Nobody that I'm aware of brought a Hugo or Mojo to the event and I still haven't ponied up for a Mojo yet.  Based on testing it out of an AK240, I'd guess that the Hugo will probably not have enough juice to make it sound its best.  But that's pure speculation so take it for what it's worth.

Regarding the Tungsten, the crew over at Cavalli are very aware of how good the initial prototype sounded and they do not want to do anything to jeopardize that quality.  They're eager to get the the new unit burnt in so they can see if it is up to the same level as the original.  I've no doubt that they'll go back to the drawing board if the new tweaks degrade the SQ.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #534 of 5,632
I use the Pioneer Master I in the time when the Abyss did need a rest to recover his diaphgrma. When the Pio M I  arrived, I was disapointed, because the bass was to big and the treble not shinning. After reading about the very long burn in time he need, I gave the Pio M I more than 400 hours of Non-Stop music playing time via the LAu, and now he is a brilliant HP !
I did ask me, the Utopia also have a very stiff metal membran and perhaps ha also need many hours of playin time ?  

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #535 of 5,632
I was at the Source event this Saturday. Had the chance to compare Utopia against HD800 and HD800S with the music I familiar with. All driven by the Cavalli prototype amp at the booth. Note that I do not take price into consideration AT ALL:

Utopia vs HD800: Utopia has a great high. Just as detailed as HD800, but without the fatigue. HD800's highs feel kind of "cheap" and in-your-face. The midrange and bass on Utopia is full and engaging, compared to the hollow, emotionless midrange and midbass of HD800. The HD800, however, has a slight advantage in overall transparency, and a huge advantage in sounstage. Even though cello sounds too bright on HD800, I can tell how far away I am from the instrument better than with Utopia.

Overall, these two cans' sound signature (neutral vs bright) are too different to be compared. Each has its pros and cons. If priced equally, I'd say go audition and pick the one that meets your taste. 

Utopia vs HD800S (with Kimber cable): I realize the real competition starts here the second I play music on HD800S. Going back and forth a couple times, I can confirm that the two are tuned very similarly. Utopia has slightly more bass quantity. Other than that, I'd say both are the definition of neutral. 

Both are engaging in the midrange, but instruments are more separated on HD800S. Both have detailed, extended yet controlled highs, but HD800S conveys a better sense of decay and timber. Bass are equally detailed. Neither has prominent bass, but the Utopia has slight more bass quantity. The HD800S, again, takes the slight advantage of overall clarity and transparency, possibly because of having slightly less bass. 

Overall, these two cans worth a toe-to-toe comparison (neutral vs neutral). Even though Utopia has a little more bass, it was far from the quantity that makes Utopia stand out as a "bassy yet good" headphones. If priced equally, with advantages in so many categories and only one disadvantage (a little too bass-light to my taste) which is neither a strength of Utopia, HD800S won.

Oh, and did I mention Utopia looks (in my hands) and feels (on my head) cheap standing next to HD800S and its sibling? The comfort and fit with Senns are simply on a different stratosphere. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #536 of 5,632
  I was at the Source event this Saturday. Had the chance to compare Utopia against HD800 and HD800S with the music I familiar with. All driven by the Cavalli prototype amp at the booth. Note that I do not take price into consideration AT ALL:

Utopia vs HD800: Utopia has a great high. Just as detailed as HD800, but without the fatigue. HD800's highs feel kind of "cheap" and in-your-face. The midrange and bass on Utopia is full and engaging, compared to the hollow, emotionless midrange and midbass of HD800. The HD800, however, has a slight advantage in overall transparency, and a huge advantage in sounstage. Even though cello sounds too bright on HD800, I can tell how far away I am from the instrument better than with Utopia.

Overall, these two cans' sound signature (neutral vs bright) are too different to be compared. Each has its pros and cons. If priced equally, I'd say go audition and pick the one that meets your taste. 

Utopia vs HD800S (with Kimber cable): I realize the real competition starts here the second I play music on HD800S. Going back and forth a couple times, I can confirm that the two are tuned very similarly. Utopia has slightly more bass quantity.

Both are engaging in the midrange, but instruments are more separated on HD800S. Both have detailed, extended yet controlled highs, but HD800S conveys a better sense of decay and timber. Bass are equally detail. Neither has prominent bass, but the Utopia has slight more bass quantity. The HD800S, again, takes the slight advantage of overall clarity and transparency, possibly because of having slightly less bass. 

Overall, these two cans worth a toe-to-toe comparison (neutral vs neutral). Even though Utopia has a little more bass, it was for from the quantity that can make Utopia stands out as a "bassy yet good" headphones. If priced equally, with advantages in so many categories and only one disadvantage (a little too bass-light to my taste) which is neither a strength of Utopia, HD800S won.

Oh, and did I mention Utopia looks (in my hands) and feels (on my head) cheap standing next to HD800S and its sibling? The comfort and fit with Senns are simply on a different stratosphere. 

Thanks for the impressions. The HD 800 S also easily beats the Utopia in terms of soundstage and imaging?

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #537 of 5,632

Utopia vs HD800S (with Kimber cable): I realize the real competition starts here the second I play music on HD800S. Going back and forth a couple times, I can confirm that the two are tuned very similarly. Utopia has slightly more bass quantity.

Both are engaging in the midrange, but instruments are more separated on HD800S. Both have detailed, extended yet controlled highs, but HD800S conveys a better sense of decay and timber. Bass are equally detail. Neither has prominent bass, but the Utopia has slight more bass quantity. The HD800S, again, takes the slight advantage of overall clarity and transparency, possibly because of having slightly less bass. 

Overall, these two cans worth a toe-to-toe comparison (neutral vs neutral). Even though Utopia has a little more bass, it was for from the quantity that can make Utopia stands out as a "bassy yet good" headphones. If priced equally, with advantages in so many categories and only one disadvantage (a little too bass-light to my taste) which is neither a strength of Utopia, HD800S won.

Thanks for the impressions. The HD 800 S also easily beats the Utopia in terms of soundstage and imaging?

Soundstage: yes, and easily upon first listen. 
Imaging: yes, but not a clear win upon first listen. Going back and forth a few times, it becomes a clear win. 

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #538 of 5,632

Soundstage: yes, and easily upon first listen. 
Imaging: yes, but not a clear win upon first listen. Going back and forth a few times, it becomes a clear win. 

Many thanks.

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #539 of 5,632
Too bad I didn't bring my HD800S for a back and forth listening... maybe have to try again next time.  HD800S with Glenn 300B is just sublime!  I really feel like it's a missed opportunity, Focal has a chance here to unseat the Senn bread and butter, the HD800(S)... but price/performance ratio just isn't there.  I wonder if Focal check in with head-fi before they chose to price the Utopia in the stratosphere.. too bad...damn!

Jun 20, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #540 of 5,632
No, unfortunately I don't know if the Hugo can drive the Utopia adequately.  Nobody that I'm aware of brought a Hugo or Mojo to the event and I still haven't ponied up for a Mojo yet.  Based on testing it out of an AK240, I'd guess that the Hugo will probably not have enough juice to make it sound its best.  But that's pure speculation so take it for what it's worth.

Regarding the Tungsten, the crew over at Cavalli are very aware of how good the initial prototype sounded and they do not want to do anything to jeopardize that quality.  They're eager to get the the new unit burnt in so they can see if it is up to the same level as the original.  I've no doubt that they'll go back to the drawing board if the new tweaks degrade the SQ.

Based on specs alone the Hugo and Mojo (same power output) can drive the Utopia easily. Synergy, however, I can't say. I'd be interested to know if someone can share their thoughts with the pairing at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back