Jun 16, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #271 of 5,632
About the distortion, found them from the net 

hd800

<0.02% (1 kHz/ 1 Vrms)
focal

<0.2% (1kHz / 100dB SPL)

Lol nice so there goes that theory...

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #272 of 5,632
$4000 and you don't even get a 1.5m cable included. No doubt this will be a $200 extra.

Both the Elear and Utopia are very high efficiency. 104dB/mW at 80Ω. Great for pairing with a Fiio Q1.

Are the ear pads removable?

490g is really heavy though and it doesn't look like Focal was really optimizing weight reduction as much as they could have done. For context the HE-6 weighs 500g and the HD800 weighs 330g.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #273 of 5,632
  $4000 and you don't even get a 1.5m cable included. No doubt this will be a $200 extra.

Both the Elear and Utopia are very high efficiency. 104dB/mW at 80Ω. Great for pairing with a Fiio Q1.

490g is really heavy though and it doesn't look like Focal was really optimizing weight reduction as much as they could have done. For context the HE-6 weighs 500g and the HD800 weighs 330g.

mmm.....yeah. Is it too late for Focal to consider shipping a shorter cable, alongside the stock cable? Oppo Digital ships theirs with two cables. It is not out yet so they still have time. Focal, LISTEN to your potential customers.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #274 of 5,632

While I agree 490g is pretty heavy, if you watch the video you will see that the large magnets used on the Utopia contribute the most to the weight. It is also mentioned in the video that Focal used carbon fiber as much as possible to offset the weight of the magnets and to get the weight as low as possible. In the end, it appears to me Focal did all they could to reduce the weight, but they couldn't go any lower and get the performance they were after.

I am puzzled by the 13 foot cable though. Not the weight so much as most of it would be laying on the floor, but all that cable to worry about stepping on and being a nuisance. Maybe it's just me, but I sit fairly close to my equipment. I would most likely just cut the cable and shorten it as I've done on other phones. All the aftermarket cable guys are salivating thinking about all the cables they may be able to sell to the new Elear and Utopia owners!

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #275 of 5,632
I guess it depends on the person, but do you really think the weight is that bad? Personally I can wear the heavier HE-6 without an issue. I see a lot of people complaining about that, but if its evenly distributed and you don't have neck problems then I can't see it being that bad.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #276 of 5,632

Sorry, I gotta laugh a little at the idea of pairing the Utopia with anything by Fiio.  I love me some Fiio and their SQ is great for the price, but on an absolute scale it's not all that good.  You'd be better off buying an Elear and using that extra $3k to buy some better upstream gear.

And yes, as stated in the reviews over on Audio-head, the ear pads are removable.  

Regarding the weight, if you watch Jude's video, they do talk about the weight (mostly caused by the huge neodymium magnets) and what they did to try to bring the weight down.

I guess it depends on the person, but do you really think the weight is that bad? Personally I can wear the heavier HE-6 without an issue. I see a lot of people complaining about that, but if its evenly distributed and you don't have neck problems then I can't see it being that bad.

It's not always about comfort on the top of the head and ears, it's about neck comfort for some.  If that's the issue, it doesn't matter how well it wears the weight.  I feel fortunate that it's not an issue for me so I can take advantage of heavier headphones that have good weight distribution.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #277 of 5,632

Mine is neck problems... But if I didn't have neck problems, it's still a chore to wear something heavy on your head when trying to enjoy music. The Ether is 115 grams lighter than this. It would just be nice to see companies focus a little more - and maybe waiting a little longer - to make TOTL headphones as comfortable and as light possible.

Making a cable that heavy and long might not be the best way to go about this...

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #278 of 5,632
in near future

Focal Grande Utopia 

Driver made from Unobtanium
Ultra high efficiency 110dB/mW
Very low impedance 12 ohm
Cable made from diamonds
Cable length 5.5 m (6.35 mm jack)
Weight 130 oz

$12000

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #279 of 5,632
  About the distortion, found them from the net 
hd800
<0.02% (1 kHz/ 1 Vrms)
focal
<0.2% (1kHz / 100dB SPL)

I'm not sure I understand the meanings, but those two numbers can't be compared, right? One is talking about distortion at a certain power level, and one is talking about distortion at a certain sound level. Unless all the stars line up and 1 Vrms into the HD800 produces exactly 100db SPL, this comparison doesn't really mean anything. 

If I've interpreted the numbers incorrectly, please help me to understand. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #280 of 5,632

We'd be able to shorten the 13' stock cable at any length and re-terminate with any of our plugs for anyone interested.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 16, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #281 of 5,632
  in near future

Focal Grande Utopia 

Driver made from Unobtanium
Ultra high efficiency 110dB/mW
Very low impedance 12 ohm
Cable made from diamonds
Cable length 5.5 m (6.35 mm jack)
Weight 130 oz

$12000

(*Headphone stand not included)

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #283 of 5,632

mmm.....yeah. Is it too late for Focal to consider shipping a shorter cable, alongside the stock cable? Oppo Digital ships theirs with two cables. It is not out yet so they still have time. Focal, LISTEN to your potential customers.

I also think the Elear and Utopia should come with a second, shorter (approx. 2m) cable.  Hopefully, Focal will make a running change and start including them.

Until then, a simple and cheap (if less than ideal) solution is to use these Velcro One-Wrap cable ties.  I use them on my Beyer's 3m cable and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BB9MG/

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #285 of 5,632

I also think the Elear and Utopia should come with a second, shorter (approx. 2m) cable.  Hopefully, Focal will make a running change and start including them.

Until then, a simple and cheap (if less than ideal) solution is to use these Velcro One-Wrap cable ties.  I use them on my Beyer's 3m cable and they work great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006BB9MG/

It actually does come with one!  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back