Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 20, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #1,096 of 5,632
I thought the Elear was very good for the price. Then I heard the Utopia and thought it was certainly better but not 4x better, IMO. 
Thanks mate. Would you consider them closely matched when it comes to detail retrieval? I understand the Elear is meant to be a warmer presentation.

Edit: before people start losing their minds saying 'it will never be 4X better' I'm trying to really get a comparison (by price) next to the highest models like the 009 etc, in regards to overall performance.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #1,099 of 5,632
Thanks mate. Would you consider them closely matched when it comes to detail retrieval? I understand the Elear is meant to be a warmer presentation.

Edit: before people start losing their minds saying 'it will never be 4X better' I'm trying to really get a comparison (by price) next to the highest models like the 009 etc, in regards to overall performance.

Utopia definitely has more micro detail and not quite as a relaxed sound because of it. In terms of how the Utopia might compare to the super expensive $3k-$4k headphones, I cannot comment I basically do not like any of them in large due to the high price point. Especially when I feel I can get near their performance and probably in many respects better their performance with my HD800S's. 

I did listen to the HE1000 and Audeze LCD-4 in addition to the Utopia and just kept asking myself 'Do you really hear that much better audio with these?' That said, I admit I am probably quite biased against any headphone over about US $2500. 

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,100 of 5,632

Utopia definitely has more micro detail and not quite as a relaxed sound because of it. In terms of how the Utopia might compare to the super expensive $3k-$4k headphones, I cannot comment I basically do not like any of them in large due to the high price point. Especially when I feel I can get near their performance and probably in many respects better their performance with my HD800S's. 

I did listen to the HE1000 and Audeze LCD-4 in addition to the Utopia and just kept asking myself 'Do you really hear that much better audio with these?' That said, I admit I am probably quite biased against any headphone over about US $2500. 

this

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,101 of 5,632
Once I receive my ELEAR, I will try to swap the Utopia pads into the ELEAR. Utopia's pads are so much comfortable.
I believe they have the same dimensions and if pricing is reasonable in the future.

That's actually something I'd wanna figure out as well. The Utopia pads look extremely comfortable (akin to the K. Odin/Vali pads), not to say the Elear's do not but if both types are for sale separately and not super expensive I'll try them out. Also curious whether pads like the ZMF line or Kennerton fit either of them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #1,102 of 5,632
Make no mistake, the Utopia is a higher resolution headphone than the Elear.

But is it worth 4 times the cost of the Elear?

If their price isn't a serious concern, then definitely.  But if their price is a serious concern, as it is for most of us here (myself included), then I'd have to say probably not.

YMMV, of course.  Just my $0.02.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #1,104 of 5,632

Once I receive my ELEAR, I will try to swap the Utopia pads into the ELEAR. Utopia's pads are so much comfortable.

That's interesting.  I personally didn't notice any real difference in comfort between the earpads.  They both were equally comfortable to me.

But as far a sound is concerned, earpads can have a HUGE effect on the SQ/FR of a headphone, and I'm very curious to find out if using the Utopia pads on the Elear will cause the Elear to gain a similar FR to what the Utopia has (and vice versa).

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,105 of 5,632
Does anyone know what kind of travel case would work with the Elear?  Is it about the same size as the HD650?  Would something like this case work?

https://www.amazon.com/Slappa-Full-Sized-HardBody-Headphone-Protection/dp/B009NE7B06

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #1,106 of 5,632

It seems many people commenting on the Utopia are biased against it because of the price.  Kudos for those who are able to admit it.  

Obviously price is a factor and can't be discounted, but comon... we are all aware of diminishing returns and I don't think ANYBODY expects a $4k headphone to be 4x better than a $1k headphone.  The Elear is a great headphone at $1k but, in absolute terms, the Utopia is notably better technically.

Make no mistake, the Utopia is a higher resolution headphone than the Elear.

But is it worth 4 times the cost of the Elear?

If their price isn't a serious concern, then definitely.  But if their price is a serious concern, as it is for most of us here (myself included), then I'd have to say probably not.

YMMV, of course.  Just my $0.02.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.  It's probably better to look at your budget first when deciding between two headphones that are priced so far apart.  I mean... nobody is mentioning how good the Listen is for $250.  Is the Elear 4x as good?  Nope, not really.  So why isn't everyone rushing out to buy that one and save even more money?  You can get 16 Listens for the price of one Utopia!  See how equating price directly to performance doesn't super make sense?  

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,107 of 5,632

It seems many people commenting on the Utopia are biased against it because of the price.  Kudos for those who are able to admit it.  

Obviously price is a factor and can't be discounted, but comon... we are all aware of diminishing returns and I don't think ANYBODY expects a $4k headphone to be 4x better than a $1k headphone.  The Elear is a great headphone at $1k but, in absolute terms, the Utopia is notably better technically.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.  It's probably better to look at your budget first when deciding between two headphones that are priced so far apart.  I mean... nobody is mentioning how good the Listen is for $250.  Is the Elear 4x as good?  Nope, not really.  So why isn't everyone rushing out to buy that one and save even more money?  You can get 16 Listens for the price of one Utopia!  See how equating price directly to performance doesn't super make sense?  

One has to find their personal sweet spot that ideally perfectly intersects at what they're willing to spend and how good the headphones sound to them. For some, that's likely going to be at the most money they can spend on headphones since they may not want to do the research, listening tests, or just believe the more they spend, the better the headphones will sound. I think this type is largely who the manufactures hope to capitalize on with these ultra pricey headphones of late. 

For others (myself included)  it's gonna be at where they believe they can near, equal or even get higher the performance in another less expensive headphone. 

This is why I myself am so happy with the HD800S, especially for the price paid. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,108 of 5,632
mmm......Utopia is aimed at the top 1% of the market. Nothing extraordinary or nonsensical. It follows the pattern of other brands and category of products (i.e. the luxury segment vs. mainstream). Think first class airline tickets vs. economy or 6 star hotels vs. drive-in motels or Bentley vs. Toyota, fine dining vs. QSR etc.  There aren't many choices at this very small segment of the market. There's the Abyss, the LCD 4 and the e-stats like the SR 009. There are TONS of choices for the mid and low-tier segments of the market. Like anything else, it is best to leave it up to the individual to decide which segment of the market to patronize. Owning a Utopia is a privelege, not a right. For me, the important thing is the power of choice is preserved: we each have one vote.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #1,109 of 5,632
no offense but all he is doing is stating the reasons for his personal bias. a lot of this is out of context. 

He is personally biased against headphones over 2.5k based on his standards and what he feels  can bang his buck the hardest. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #1,110 of 5,632
  no offense but all he is doing is stating the reasons for his personal bias. a lot of this is out of context. 

He is personally biased against headphones over 2.5k based on his standards and what he feels  can bang his buck the hardest. 

Yup and I actually complimented him for acknowledging it.  I was more referring to the many many other people in the last 75 pages of posts who aren't acknowledging their bias...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back