Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jul 19, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,081 of 5,632
Thank you for clearing that up Jason, shame to hear though, hopefully they make it available for some sort of pre-order when buying the headphones or just have it the same price if a person purchases the stand on its own once it does come out.
I'm not sure where the $100 price came from. France hasn't event hinted at the price yet. My best guess knowing Focal as well as I do, the new design is likely more like $149.00. I get updates about every other day so I'll see if I can lock down release date and price for you guys.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 20, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,082 of 5,632
Looking at the measurements, would it be fair to say that the Utopia and Elear are more similar to LCD headphones? They don't look as neutral like Sennheiser headphones. 

I suppose Tyll doesn't like the Focal Listen since he hasn't mentioned anything about them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,083 of 5,632
Looking at the measurements, would it be fair to say that the Utopia and Elear are more similar to LCD headphones? They don't look as neutral like Sennheiser headphones. 

I suppose Tyll doesn't like the Focal Listen since he hasn't mentioned anything about them.

Yes, but also look at Jude's measurments. They are a lot more neutral in his. Read Tyll artical about his measurment head being measured. My guess is they don't sound as dark as they measured from Tyll basses on user comments.

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,085 of 5,632
Hd800.. Neutral??? How about flat, thin, and bright. It sounds disgusting out of most solid state gear. Tylls measurements of those hps look more like an ideal response.

They sound pretty neutral out of the right gear, IMHO.  I know you prefer a much bassier response than most so perhaps that informs your idea of the ideal response?

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #1,086 of 5,632
Never walked into any studio(have heard plenty of mixes of various genres) , concert, car, elevator, restaurant, party, or anywhere and heard anything as bright, shiny, thin, and sterile as an hd800 on a solid state amp.

Not gonna debate this again.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #1,087 of 5,632
Never walked into any studio(have heard plenty of mixes of various genres) , concert, car, elevator, restaurant, party, or anywhere and heard anything as bright, shiny, thin, and sterile as an hd800 on a solid state amp.

Not gonna debate this again.

Who's debating?  I was asking a question to spur discussion.  To me, it sounds perfectly fine out of the Cavalli and Wells SS amps I've heard.  While I agree that it sounds as you describe out of other SS amps I've heard, I wouldn't generalize it into all of them.  YMMV of course.

And really, that's besides the point.  I believe your point was (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) that the Utopia and Elear would probably sound better out of more SS amps than the HD800 based on Tyll's measurements.  I'm not debating that point.  Both seem to be more forgiving of poor amping based on my experiences with them.

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #1,088 of 5,632
Not saying you are debating. I just see potential for one and remember the last time I said that ppl were definitely debating so Id just rather leave it be. There are exceptions to every rule though.

You are close to my point... However, it has nothing much to do with poor amps and more to do with the fact that in order for the 800, which does NOT measure neutral, to sound neutral, its negatives have to be countered by the amp chosen for it. Good or bad it needs to ADD warmth, body, and smoothness. It basically needs to make the measurements look a little different( don't know how or if that works because I have never seen ths 800 measured from a warm, lush, full bodied, tube amp)

Jul 20, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #1,089 of 5,632

Impressions soon...WA8 due to arrive on Monday. I've heard that the two are a good match. More to come...

So.... 
biggrin.gif
  did you get your WA8 ? 

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #1,090 of 5,632
Can anybody (preferably somebody that doesn't sell Focal headphones) provide feedback on the weight of the Elear and Utopia and how they feel when compared to something like the HD800S? The Elear weighs 120 grams more and the Utopia weighs 150 grams more. I'm interested in knowing how well balanced they are, if they have hot spots, how breathable they are etc.

I understand that most have only had short listening sessions with these.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #1,091 of 5,632
Can anybody (preferably somebody that doesn't sell Focal headphones) provide feedback on the weight of the Elear and Utopia and how they feel when compared to something like the HD800S? The Elear weighs 120 grams more and the Utopia weighs 150 grams more. I'm interested in knowing how well balanced they are, if they have hot spots, how breathable they are etc.

I've read pretty much everyone's impressions from the ones that have posted on these forums (as well as a couple acquaintances who haven't) and I haven't heard anyone that's actually tried them say they feel heavy or uncomfortable.

Of course, as you said, short listening sessions only but "regular" people who are not affiliated with Focal have said the weight distribution is fit are great. Think Jude mentioned before (possibly in his video) that they are not on HD800 level but still.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,092 of 5,632

Weight didn't bother me at all, especially coming from the Audeze LCD-3's which are quite heavy. But in terms of potential hotspots, the Focal earcups are smaller than the HD800/S so depending on how big your ears are, they may press on your ear a bit.  

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,093 of 5,632

Hi,

This is in comparison to my BW P7. I felt a pinch on top middle of my head, and felt sweating around my ear cup area after about 20 minutes.

Utopia = After about 5 minutes into the music, I could have sworn that I felt nothing on my head. Very comfortable and feel nothing grasping around my ear cup area or sweaty like P7. Material on Utopia is very smooth and very soft. A lot comfortable than LCD/ETHER

Elear = No pinch on the head. The material at the ear cup, especially the thread outside the ear cup felt a little grabbing around my ear cup area. No sweaty feeling though. Not bother that much.

Moving side to side and up/down, both cans holding onto your head and no leaks. Feel comfortable even with my glasses on.

HD800S = Very light because the whole cup area are so big that you don't feel grabbing against your ear area.

Hope this help.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #1,094 of 5,632
Same. Thanks. Was just trying to urge any others that haven't weighed in.

It seems from all the impressions I've read, that the Elear is getting better feedback. Not that the Utopia feedback is bad, but for performance many are saying one is priced very reasonably and the other is not.

Jul 20, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #1,095 of 5,632
Same. Thanks. Was just trying to urge any others that haven't weighed in.

It seems from all the impressions I've read, that the Elear is getting better feedback. Not that the Utopia feedback is bad, but for performance many are saying one is priced very reasonably and the other is not.

I thought the Elear was very good for the price. Then I heard the Utopia and thought it was certainly better but not 4x better, IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back