Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #5,612 of 5,632
I had Ric Schultz massage mine but, to be honest, am unable to claim it makes significant improvement as I never did hear an unmodified LKS first. All of which proves I'm just as susceptible to audiophilia as the rest of you! :L3000:

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5,615 of 5,632
After almost 4 months ownership I'm still happily enjoying the pooh out of my Utopia, first product I didn't sell after a few months or sooner. Can't imagine what I would rather have.

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #5,616 of 5,632
After almost 4 months ownership I'm still happily enjoying the pooh out of my Utopia, first product I didn't sell after a few months or sooner. Can't imagine what I would rather have.

Same here although the final D8000 looks to be a nice compliment to the Utopia.

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #5,617 of 5,632
Same here although the final D8000 looks to be a nice compliment to the Utopia.
I'm just patiently waiting for the next top of the line model from Focal, something has to be in the works lol. That is the next headphone I would invest in, only.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #5,618 of 5,632
sorry haven't been able to find an answer to this, so if its been covered forgive me.

Do the utopia use the same connectors as the hd800?

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #5,619 of 5,632
No they don't use the same connector.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #5,620 of 5,632
Curious on amp recommendations for the Utopia. Mines showing up in a few days!

I have a Gungnir Multibit and Liquid Carbon X right now, budget prolly ~$1k for an amp and would like fully balanced, just curious what else people are using!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #5,621 of 5,632

I have a Gungnir Multibit and Liquid Carbon X right now, budget prolly ~$1k for an amp and would like fully balanced, just curious what else people are using!

Amazing out of the Hugo 2, but the best I've heard them is straight out of the DAVE with either the Axios or Dana Lazuli aftermarket cables!

On a budget, the Gilmore Lite Mk2 is VERY good!

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #5,622 of 5,632

FWIW I use a Violectric HPA V281 and have also used an Auralic Taurus and MIT Vero 50EX (FS if anyone interested) and observed no significant difference with any of them. There are subtle difference in sonic signatures as there are with any electronic component, but choosing if one is better than another is a bit pointless if the result coming through the Focals is appealing and musical. My hobby horse is that there are far more differences in sounds with differtent DACs than there are with amps of the caliber mentioned above.

At this level it becomes a waste of money attempting to upgrade. You might end up with a subtle difference in sound which can far too readily be interpreted as an improvement when in fact, all that has happened is a move sideways rather than forward. But the upside is it keeps manufacturers and dealers in business. The downside is obvious in the bank balance!!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #5,623 of 5,632
budget prolly ~$1k for an amp and would like fully balanced

For $700 new, the Cayin iHA-6 is buyer's-remorse-proof.
Or for a little more than a grand if bought used, the iFi Pro iCan (see shameless plug in my sig :smile_phones:).

Both run best fully balanced. I was running the Utopia on each, briefly, and loved it on both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back