Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jun 14, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #31 of 5,632

@Dillan, in that case, I would specifically recommend that you consider the Elear over the Utopia... and would do so even if they were the same price.  
smile.gif

Thank you I am about to pull the trigger on either the TH900 or the Elear.. which would you say? How do they compare?

Thanks again!

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #32 of 5,632
So Jude's uncomfortable walking around outside with a $4k headphone, but he's perfectly fine with a $1K one?

Just so you know Jude, if some dude walks up to you and robs your Elear, it wasn't me, okay?!

*goes off to Detroit to concoct dastardly Elear acquisition plan*

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #34 of 5,632

@Dillan, in that case, I would specifically recommend that you consider the Elear over the Utopia... and would do so even if they were the same price.  
smile.gif

Thank you I am about to pull the trigger on either the TH900 or the Elear.. which would you say? How do they compare?

Thanks again!

I find the TH-900 much brighter up top than the Elear.  In fact, even without comparing it to the Elear, and just taking the TH-900 in isolation, I find it to be much brighter and more strident than I would prefer, in and of itself.  Given your stated preferences, I think it's fairly likely that you'd feel the same, and find it fatiguing at best, and perhaps even unlistenable at worst.  Also, while I think the TH-900 is bassy, I'd hesitate to call it warm.

BTW - and this is for everybody in general - if you happen to be a fan of the HD-650’s general sound signature, and you're looking a headphone that does everything you love about a well-driven HD 650, then you might want to consider the Elear as a worthy upgrade.  There’s a decent chance that it’ll be your huckleberry.  There were times during my auditions when the Elear was reminiscent of the best HD 650 I've ever heard, but even better.  Plus, as a bonus, it looks much nicer, and is far easier to drive.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #35 of 5,632
I've spent the last week listening to Elear, I haven't heard the Utopia yet. 

I wrote detailed thoughts about them along with comparisons to other headphones that count among my favourites including Audeze LCD-3 & Grado PS-1000e.

https://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/focal-elear-headphone-review

I tried not to jump the hype train too much. It was exciting to get to hear these early. Although my rig may not be quite to the level of some of yours, I did get to test them with a couple of different DAC - amp setups that I have been using for some time. 

Although I think they sound great... the Elear does have a "gimmick", I don't mean that as a pejorative because some people might think of it as "fun". Elear doesn't try to be neutral at all. It's a "fun" headphone and I for one really enjoyed listening to it. It was punchy down low and bouncy up high and a little bright with elevated lows and the highs.

Compared to my LCD-3 I felt a significant drop in the midrange... perhaps it's more "middle-high" though. I love my LCD-3s and its lush mids in the vocals and saxophone, like honey. The Elear didn't do that at all for me. Instead the Elear was at its best when I put on something more active with some bounce. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #36 of 5,632
Oooh the treaseling is over! Or, did it just morph into a new form? This is overall very interesting... Can't wait for the reviews and impressions!

Also, what in the what is this about? Small error, right?
Sennheiser HD 800 S open, planar magnetic, over-ear headphone

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #37 of 5,632
Oh, I forgot the most important question when dealing with Focal headphones:

6. Clamping force and  ear pad size? I hope they didn't make these for small heads and small ears, I could not really take the Focal Spirit Professional pressure and it was an "on-ear" at best, no where close to being able to accommodate my ears as well as a HD700 or HD800.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #38 of 5,632

I find the TH-900 much brighter up top than the Elear.  In fact, even without comparing it to the Elear, and just taking the TH-900 in isolation, I find it to be much brighter and more strident than I would prefer, in and of itself.  Given your stated preferences, I think it's fairly likely that you'd feel the same, and find it fatiguing at best, and perhaps even unlistenable at worst.  Also, while I think the TH-900 is bassy, I'd hesitate to call it warm.

BTW - and this is for everybody in general - if you happen to be a fan of the HD-650’s general sound signature, and you're looking a headphone that does everything you love about a well-driven HD 650, then you might want to consider the Elear as a worthy upgrade.  There’s a decent chance that it’ll be your huckleberry.  There were times during my auditions when the Elear was reminiscent of the best HD 650 I've ever heard, but even better.  Plus, as a bonus, it looks much nicer, and is far easier to drive.

Oh wow excellent news! I absolutely love the 650. I am going to put in an order for the Elear.

Thanks again for the help and information.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #39 of 5,632
  I hope they didn't make these for small heads and small ears, I could not really take the Focal Spirit Professional pressure and it was an "on-ear" at best, no where close to being able to accommodate my ears as well as a HD700 or HD800.

Not even in the same league as Spirit. These are some of the most comfortable I've tried and have good sized earpads for big Spock ears if necessary. 
Elear inner ear pad:

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #41 of 5,632

smile.gif

That is such good news Warren. I most definitely have no way of dishing out 4 grand on a pair of headphones (especially right now) but 1 is a lot more doable. I too prefer more "musical", fun and warm/lush, sounding headphones a la LCD-3 (and dare I say NightHawks) so it is fantastic to hear someone with your experience and expertise confirm that you'd actually go for the Elear over the Utopia seeking that particular signature even if they were to retail for the same price.

As a fan of Focal systems for many years I can't wait for these to come out where I live, need to start counting my pennies. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

This is even better news.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #42 of 5,632
Welp, it looks like I'm going to have to head on over to The Source AV this Saturday to check these babies out for myself!
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #43 of 5,632
  Very cool! Ready to try them sometime soon. Too bad I can't get to Jason's event at AVSource this weekend. Cheers

Originally Posted by moedawg140 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It will be very nice to see everyone who can make it to The Source AV in Torrance, CA on Saturday for the new Focal headphone lineup listening event!

Here's the info, for everybody that can make it to Southern California this coming Saturday:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016/210#post_12651582

Cavalli Audio is actually co-sponsoring the event, and we're planning to have two Liquid Tungstens, two Liquid Golds, two Liquid Carbons and two Liquid Sparks.  Astell&Kern will be providing the sources, which will include two AK500N units and several of their DAPs.  Kimber Kable will be supplying cables and interconnects, including prototype Axios cables for the Utopia and Elear.  There's going to be some happy listening ahead.  
smile.gif

...and for the rest of you that have heard them as well:

1) Difference between these two models besides the price?
2) How does the Elear compare in sound and comfort to HD800S and/or Ether?
3) For the Utopia, besides comparison to the only other 4k flagship I know of (Audeze), how would it compare to HD800S and HK1000?
4) Not sure I could ever get myself to the point of spending 4k on headphones... but I always assumed the best path beyond HD800S would be electrostatic headphones, especially with Mr. Speakers coming out with something that will probably price in between the SR007 and SR009... Do you feel the Utopia is a solid alternative to going the electrostat route? This seems fairly critical to me as a second dedicated amp is also involved which then adds much more cost to a home headphone rig overall.

Thanks for any and all feedback, always very interesting when the market sees new entries with serious cred and targeting the flagship ranks.

Hey Greggo, let me get back to you a little later on these questions?  I have some raw notes of my impressions that I haven't organized yet, and seeing as how I haven't slept yet, I'm way too tired to do that at the moment.  
redface.gif

I guess the natural question is, can it best the STAX SR009? Than again SR009 requires a high end AMP and it is no way as portable as Utopia. 

I know of at least one person, who has auditioned the Utopia, that believes it does just that.

My question: is this Utopia has significantly lower distortion than hd800?

From what I heard, I would say that is very likely.

I hope they didn't make these for small heads and small ears, I could not really take the Focal Spirit Professional pressure and it was an "on-ear" at best, no where close to being able to accommodate my ears as well as a HD700 or HD800.

Not even in the same league as Spirit. These are some of the most comfortable I've tried and have good sized earpads for big Spock ears if necessary. 

I completely agree.  
smile.gif

This is even better news.

beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #45 of 5,632
  Experience this system at @TSAVJason this Saturday. Space is LIMITED... RSVP without delay.

Hey guys, just to be clear, there are no attendance restrictions or reservations required.  You don't have to RSVP.  Just come on down!  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back