Focal earpad cleaning
Nov 29, 2019 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

1Tbps

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, so I just washed the earpads of my Utopia by dipping them into water with some detergent.

The problem is that there were residue of some kind of adhesive on the back of the pads, around the outer circumference of the plasic earpad mount thingy. Even after washing them briefly it wouldn't go away.

Is it alright to use them as is? I'm more afraid of ruining the pads since Focal pads aren't cheap.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Hey guys, so I just washed the earpads of my Utopia by dipping them into water with some detergent.

The problem is that there were residue of some kind of adhesive on the back of the pads, around the outer circumference of the plasic earpad mount thingy. Even after washing them briefly it wouldn't go away.

Is it alright to use them as is? I'm more afraid of ruining the pads since Focal pads aren't cheap.

have a picture?

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #3 of 8
have a picture?
IMG_20191202_202620.jpg

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 8
This is an old thread that I found a google search. I wanted to add to it in case anyone else comes across it. It looks like an adhesive used in the construction of the pads is water soluble. I would not recommend to anyone that they submerge the pads to clean them and I wouldn't repeat it for the OP as it could cause further damage.

My recommendation would be to use water based baby whites (unscented) to gently wipe down the pads to clean them periodically if needed, being careful not to get the earpads wet, but simply wipe them down a bit.

Once ear pads get to a certain point, they need to be replaced. I realize this is a costly proposition with Focals, but sometimes necessary. I recently replaced the earpads on my Elears with ones from Drop.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 8
I recently purchased used Utopias and the plastic is disintegrating. From the above post I originally thought it was the adhesive being used, but now that I have experienced it myself it’s the plastic. I used Blu Tack to remove any residue from the headphones and ordered new pads.

If you’ve ever had plastic products that start to “sweat” and get tacky that appears to be what’s happening. The old ones are going in the garbage. Luckily I had some Dekonis to put on while I wait for replacement pads to arrive.

Sep 26, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 8
I actually noticed the very same thing today - I wanted to clean out my Utopias a bit (as I did before), but I noticed that there was a gluey substance which ultimately turned out to be the plastic disintigrating.
I stuck them back on for now and ordered replacement pads - they obviously still sound great - no change there.

And just for reference I've been using them pretty much all day since I purchased them new early 2017.

I'll be using some tissue paper with a touch of water to wipe down the headphone side, while being extremely careful not to overdo it, but the stuff seems to come off rather easily on the headphone side.

In any case, this is pretty disappointing for a premium product like this.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, it disappointing, especially when the pads themselves were fine. If other Utopia owners see this thread I recommend periodically checking this as you don't want any damage to occur by having any of this make its way into the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back