Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Oct 10, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #1,397 of 1,720
Personally I have gone with 40% in personalisation. 50% seems to be too much for me, something is off for me there. But 40 have been good. There will always be disagreement on what level is the best as we all have different issues with our hearing.
I went down to 15%, because something felt unnatural in the long run with higher percentage. It gives me just the slightest of clarity push without overemphasizeing the highs. But of course every human hears differently and the mimi thingy is personalized so it may vary from person to person by quite a margin.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #1,398 of 1,720
I went down to 15%, because something felt unnatural in the long run with higher percentage. It gives me just the slightest of clarity push without overemphasizeing the highs. But of course every human hears differently and the mimi thingy is personalized so it may vary from person to person by quite a margin.
I totally agree on the unnatural feeling. I might go down even more a bit, not sure. Can't stop the chase after the ideal sound 🤓

Oct 20, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,404 of 1,720
Hi all,

Been playing around with different connection options with Bathys since getting the iPhone 15 pro max. Boils down to two:

1) Aptx Adaptive through Iphone-> Creative BT-W5 - > Bathys. Works flawlessly. In addition to just working you still get access to Focal App in this mode :wink: The app uses a separate Bluetooth-LE device to control Bathys and you can even see Aptx codec being used by the headphones.

2) DAC mode. In this mode I get constant sound artifacts and disconnects between Bathys and iPhone. Pretty much unusable which is very strange because iPad Pro M1 has no such problems.
Does anyone share the same experience?

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,405 of 1,720
Hi all,

Been playing around with different connection options with Bathys since getting the iPhone 15 pro max. Boils down to two:

1) Aptx Adaptive through Iphone-> Creative BT-W5 - > Bathys. Works flawlessly. In addition to just working you still get access to Focal App in this mode :wink: The app uses a separate Bluetooth-LE device to control Bathys and you can even see Aptx codec being used by the headphones.

2) DAC mode. In this mode I get constant sound artifacts and disconnects between Bathys and iPhone. Pretty much unusable which is very strange because iPad Pro M1 has no such problems.
Does anyone share the same experience?

I have a similar setup with my new iPhone 15 Pro Max.
I use the Sennheider BDT 600 and everything works great.
My only issue is Amazon Music HD. Music plays in standard definition and sounds like it is coming from a tin cup.
Apple Music is rock solid and plays full resolution.

I do not have a single issue using DAC mode, even Amazon Music HD works correctly. Have you tried a different cable?
I also have a M1 iPad Pro.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #1,406 of 1,720
I use wired DAC mode extensively with my iPhone 13 and the camera adapter and an overpriced USB cable. Initially no sound artifacts or disconnects via iPhone or iPad.

Worked pretty well until recently when hi resolution changes (e.g on Qobuz and Foobar) caused the sound output to drop. Music is still advancing on the source but no sound from the Bathys. Have to turn off DAC mode and reengage to get the sound output back. Really bad when shuffling artist playlists via Qobuz with varying resolutions.

Focal sent me a replacement which should be here next week. Crossing my fingers.

Before it stopped working well, wired DAC mode sounded best to me. With proper EQ and Mimi application (which works in DAC mode) they are starting to sound more like a $799 headphone. :)

Rich

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #1,407 of 1,720
I use wired DAC mode extensively with my iPhone 13 and the camera adapter and an overpriced USB cable. Initially no sound artifacts or disconnects via iPhone or iPad.

Worked pretty well until recently when hi resolution changes (e.g on Qobuz and Foobar) caused the sound output to drop. Music is still advancing on the source but no sound from the Bathys. Have to turn off DAC mode and reengage to get the sound output back. Really bad when shuffling artist playlists via Qobuz with varying resolutions.

Focal sent me a replacement which should be here next week. Crossing my fingers.

Before it stopped working well, wired DAC mode sounded best to me. With proper EQ and Mimi application (which works in DAC mode) they are starting to sound more like a $799 headphone. :)

Rich
What EQ do you use? :)

Oct 21, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #1,408 of 1,720
Zero issue here with DAC mode and the camera adapter and my iPhone 13. I find wired better than Aptx through my astell SR 25 but not amazingly, so.

I also find not That much difference in lag or sound quality watching a film on my LGTV using Bluetooth or the audio Jack.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #1,410 of 1,720
Guy here at 12 mins 15 has a good take -

Yup, I agree with him.
It's interesting that on my previous phone Samsung I would choose dynamiq EQ. And it obviously sounded better for me.
But on the new Sony phone, dynamic just doesn't sound right. So the flat eq sounds better now. It also seems louder on flat eq with this phone. Weird, but the sound is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back