Focal Bathys - Wireless ANC Over-Ear Headphone
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #766 of 1,723
If you are serious about sound, don't even consider these. These are still far behind wired closed backs.
Until someday wireless transmission may transfer CD quality files, BT ANC headphones have almost no comparison to wired headphones.
Yes, I agree bathys is the best BT ANC headphones that sounds closest to wired closed backs, but still miles behind wired closed backs.
It has little to do with ”being serious about sound”. Sometimes you have to commute or take a flight to China and then it is pretty convenient with wireless ANC. And it is nice to have alternatives to Bose and Sony that actually sound pretty darn good for what they are.

Not sure the codec is the bottleneck though.
You could play 320 Kbit Spotify on a Focal Stellia and it would still sound miles better than any of the top ANC headphones. Even though the source is lossy and compressed.

Bathys, 5909 and PX8 are designed with portability in mind, with features that traditional wired cans simply dont have. Plus the freedom of wireless, of course.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #768 of 1,723
Nov 28, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #770 of 1,723
What's your favorite part of their sound? :)
I have several things about bathys that I like. They are not perfect but in anc world the sub bass presence, drums attack, cymbals present but not piercing and all without cables, grab the usb and take that to better detail and resolution... ah and the comfort for me is top notch.
actually I’m using ambient mode more because microphones are good and I can hear my children and music or videos at the same time.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #772 of 1,723
So I have been reading both the Bathys and the PX8 thread for weeks now and I am still torn.
I will find it difficult to audition both I would imagine so trying to narrow it down a bit.

They will be used exclusively with my iPhone and with Tidal .
ANC is not a huge factor as it appears they are similar in this area.

To give an idea of the sound I like I have the Abyss 1266C and I love the sound these have . The bass is phenomenal. I know I will get nowhere near this level of sound quality , but of the two headphones which one do you think gets nearer to that sound signature ?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #773 of 1,723
So I have been reading both the Bathys and the PX8 thread for weeks now and I am still torn.
I will find it difficult to audition both I would imagine so trying to narrow it down a bit.

They will be used exclusively with my iPhone and with Tidal .
ANC is not a huge factor as it appears they are similar in this area.

To give an idea of the sound I like I have the Abyss 1266C and I love the sound these have . The bass is phenomenal. I know I will get nowhere near this level of sound quality , but of the two headphones which one do you think gets nearer to that sound signature ?
See my reply to this in thread 'Bowers and Wilkins PX8 Wireless Discussion'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bowers-and-wilkins-px8-wireless-discussion.964955/post-17268191

Nov 29, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #774 of 1,723
20221129_190413-01.jpeg
20221129_190351-01.jpeg
20221129_190445-01.jpeg

the Benks headphone stand is a lovely match for the Bathys. can be found on Amazon. the Pro version has a wireless charging base.

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #775 of 1,723
Thank you so much for this information. So when you say you need to power the bluetooth dongle to use with iphone, are you saying that you connect a USB C charger to the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (USB A to the dongle and USB C to power source)? Sorry for the basic (likely obvious) question.
Basically, yes. The lightning input on my USB 3 adapter will be used to power the USB device instead of drawing power from the phone and the phone only delivers data over it's lightning port. It is kind of strange though as the BTD 600 will power up and connect to the headphones even after the message for too high power draw shows up on my iphone, but for some reason the iphone doesn't recognize the device. Using power, either from a socket or emergency charger works fine though. The BT-W4 doesn't power on over the USB 3 adapter at all without the extra power. Both the BT-W4 and the BTD 600 dongle works directly over USB-C with my ipad (2022 air).

Nov 29, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #776 of 1,723
20221129_190413-01.jpeg20221129_190351-01.jpeg20221129_190445-01.jpeg

the Benks headphone stand is a lovely match for the Bathys. can be found on Amazon. the Pro version has a wireless charging base.
haha I'm using the same thing.

Nov 29, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #778 of 1,723
Basically, yes. The lightning input on my USB 3 adapter will be used to power the USB device instead of drawing power from the phone and the phone only delivers data over it's lightning port. It is kind of strange though as the BTD 600 will power up and connect to the headphones even after the message for too high power draw shows up on my iphone, but for some reason the iphone doesn't recognize the device. Using power, either from a socket or emergency charger works fine though. The BT-W4 doesn't power on over the USB 3 adapter at all without the extra power. Both the BT-W4 and the BTD 600 dongle works directly over USB-C with my ipad (2022 air).
Very helpful! Thanks again!

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #779 of 1,723

LOL!

I was able to test the Bathys at a local hifi store (Eglantier Hifi, Belgium) and compare with multiple other headphones. On Bluetooth (Android, AptX) and 3.5mm (Sony WM1Z). After thorough listening, I purchased them. Below some in-store and home impressions and comparisons. Warning: long. Tldr: Bathys are my new best headphones! Get them.

Focal Bathys: looks good, feels good. Swivel mechanism is damped, materials are classy. You see and feel the price. The cables are very basic. Sound (both Bluetooth and 3.5mm) - very good first impression. Clean, detailed without any sibilance, fun bass with sub bass rumble without it being muddy, overbearing or bleeding into the midrange. Mids provide some soundstage and texture in vocals, the first Bluetooth headphone I’ve ever heard capable of doing without sounding “digitally EQ’d”. I haven‘d had previous experience with Focal, but I really like their tuning. On 3.5mm I need to push the volume to 75 on my WM1Z (normal headphones: 40-50). Noise canceling is effective for low frequency and background noises, but voices go straight through. Transparency is like wearing no headphones at all - there is a slight audible hiss in this mode, also on the “soft” mode. No hiss in the “silent” mode. Daft Punk, Doja Cat, Fleetwood Mac, Camila Cabello, Michelle, Coldplay, K/DA…all sounded great. I really like the light-up logo and the DAC mode, on which the sound quality improves slightly but noticeably to me. It works great on my computer and iPad Pro (gaming!!) and also my Sony NW ZX507 (which has usb c as opposed to the wm port of my WM1Z). Comfort is great, even with prescription glasses.

Somy XM4: my daily driver, so nice I bought it twice (beige and white limited edition). I’m a big Sony fan, got the first MDR-1000X all the way to the XM4. I didn’t like the XM5. Overall, I like the Sony house tuning on their headphones and DAPs. The Bluetooth and noise canceling features are more advanced. LDAC is a plus, but honestly I think there is some placebo effect working: if I disregarded what codec was active: AAC, AptX and LDAC all sounded the same. LDAC may be slightly better? But I don’t know if that’s tuning or actually a real effect of the data rate.
Compared to the Bathys, they sound very digital. Boomy and muddy bass and boosted treble, artificial mids. The Bathys ruin the XM4s for me, they are still comfortable and pretty though. I’ll likely still bring these for travel, as they are very common and probably less attention-grabbing. Noise canceling is still better.

B&W PX8: I think these look even prettier than the Bathys, slightly more comfortable but the pads are sweatier for me. Sounded like an upgraded Sony XM4 to me. I miss the Bathys’ sparkle and mid range. There is mid to low treble detail (vocals, cymbals) that’s simply missing in the PX8, to my ears.

Focal Celestee: beautiful set. Sounds almost exactly like the Bathys. Logical because of the similar drivers. Considering the price and added functionally, I think the Bathys is a better deal.

Hifiman Ananda: amazingly comfortable, open. Sounded amazing. The BT version is expensive. But really liked the sound. It is very big though.

Sennheiser HD595: my first audiophile headphones. Oldies but goodies. These actually sound very similar to the Focal headphones, including the Bathys. This is probably a big reason why I like the Bathys: it’s a sound tuning I’m used to and like. Comfort is still next level with those old school velour pads.

Sennheiser Momentum 1: another classic. I almost forgot how small the ear cups are. Somehow these sound more…digital than the Focal Bathys? I think it’s because of the narrow soundstage and slight v-shape tuning. But I still love them.

Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless: recently scored it on a steep discount. Got it in white, it’s very pretty. Folds in, very handy, but the case is comically bad. It clamps a bit too hard, painful with glasses, but otherwise stylish and comfortable. Sound has an even more pronounced V shape, but on the “high end” eq (which calms down the bloaty bass) it sounds good. Noticeable hiss. Wonky controls and connectivity, I’ll probably return these.

Massdrop TH-X00: so far, my best headphones. I really hate the tangly long braided cable, but the sound is amazing. Compared to the Bathys, there is a bit more detail in mids and treble. This makes them also a bit more fatiguing to me. I‘ve always thought the soundstage on these is a bit weird.

Focal Clear MG: this is clearly in a higher category, a cut above. It looks and feels like a luxury watch. It’s open, and the sound is amazing. Transparent, punchy. It’s a whole new experience. I was tempted to get this, but the price, open nature (and therefore travel incompatibility) and lack of noise canceling made me decide against it. The Clear MG will be a future goal for me.

All in all, after testing everything and considering all other over ear headphones I have (Sennheiser HD595, Momentum 1 and 3, the Massdrop TH X00, all the Sony XMs,..) - the Focal Bathys are a unique product from Focal that combine a lot of features in a great product at, all things considering, a very competitive price. It’s basically a noise canceling, wireless Bluetooth Celestee that is cheaper than the latter. Overall, they are the best over ear headphones I have. I’m extremely happy with mine!

9520B703-818E-4D95-BCAF-0B4A7FE83723.jpeg

Nice write-up! Thank you!

First review of Bathy, Px8’s and 5909’s

Thanks for sharing our vid here :)

Any s22 ultra owners here?
Does DAC mode work for these phones?

There should be no issues with the S22 Ultra.

20221129_190413-01.jpeg20221129_190351-01.jpeg20221129_190445-01.jpeg

Nice stand for sure!

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #780 of 1,723
Tomorrow the Focal Bathys a wireless ANC and over-ear headphone will be annouced. Here are the first impressions in korean of the headphones:

The Annoucement:
https://twitter.com/FocalOfficial/status/1575832849013305345

Audioholics Review:
https://www.audioholics.com/headpho...iew-focal2019s-first-wireless-headphone-w-anc

A greek article with pictures:
https://hxosplus.gr/gadgetech/focal-bathys/

Specs
- Price is 800 Euro
- Bluetooh 5.1 with aptX-, aptX HD, SBC, AAC support
- DAC mode with USB-C
- Analog mode with 3.5mm
- 350 gr
- App supports 5 band eq
- 30 hours battery life
- ANC mode: Silent (for noisy environments) and Soft (for quieter environments). Transparency mode and ANC off.
- 40mm magnesium-aluminium driver

I think the design is really nice and is really similar to the Focal Stellia with different colours. The Bathys looks really promising with this relatively small formfactor. Could be the perfect balance of portability and audiophile music enjoyment. Exactly what I‘m looking for in a long time.

hopefully this will be good, excited to try it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back