Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,111 of 1,729
Bit of an unusual pairing but I'm enjoying the Bathy's with the Creative Soundblaster X5 dac and their bluetooth dongle.

The cool thing about the dac is that the USB host port at the back supports the Bathys directly as well as the creative w4 bluetooth dongle which provides a nicer nice experience overall. I think the audio out is better than via 3.5mm and it has the benefit of the wireless connection.

The big benefit to this though, is the x5 enables me to use the Bathy's seamlessly with all of my devices, including the PS5, simultaneously and wirelessly.

So for instance, I could be driving around the circuit in Gran Turismo 7 VR with the Bathy's on and a song playing on Tidal on my desktop, being pushed to the Bathy's.

More realistically though I can just listen to music on the Bathy's while around the house, and if I want to play a quick game on my PS5 I can get audio from that too without having to mess around with different headphones.

Jul 7, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,112 of 1,729
I am not satisfied with the Focal USB cable and the Apple iPad USB cable because the make a lot of bone noises when touched.
Do you have any suggestion for a USB-C cable for use with the Bathys which is silent?

Thank you.

Jul 10, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #1,114 of 1,729
Is it possible to use Focal Bathys with Ifi signature?
Yes it is but remember that the internal amp of the bathys cannot be by passed.

Jul 10, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,116 of 1,729
What is that means, actually?
Can you please, give more details about?
Thank you
if you power the device down and try to listen analogue wired via the 3.5 mm cable you will hear nothing. The device has to be powered on which means the amp/dsp are still engaged or some ADC and DAC is involved. You can check the website to see how the signal is handled but it’s not passive analogue wired.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,117 of 1,729
The worst aspect for me is that they are really rather small for people with large heads. I have them at maximum extension and really struggle to get them sitting properly on my head. Initially I could hardly bear to wear them for more than 15 minutes, but I have found a position that seems to work and is not too bad with hotspots on my head. After a week of owning them I can now wear them for 30-60 mins at a time before I start to struggle. This was almost a deal-breaker, but I'm getting used to them. I do generally have a lot of trouble finding a headphone that I find comfortable. The Focal Elex is worse for me than the Bathys.
I’ve just received my pair of Bathys. They are impressive and yes, they do feel and sound like grown-up headphones (unlike my Bose 35 II and Sony XM5).
One thing I can hardly believe is that there are so few people with a relatively large head among Focal customers. Or is the Bathys smaller than other Focal headphones? I have the Bathys at maximum extension and initially thought I would need to send them back because they are too small – unlike any other headphone I have tried so far. Maybe they get larger during burn-in? :wink:

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #1,123 of 1,729
I don't think so
Bluetooth must be ON, or else is not working.
But I don't care about that.
There are some amazing EQ's
Bluetooth must be on in order to adjust the EQ on the app. But the setting will be remembered in DAC mode

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,125 of 1,729
How does the sound on Bathys compare to AirPods Pro 2? How are the bass on the Bathys compared?

I listen to a lot of prog-rock, not a huge fan of treable-forwarded headsets.
I have both as my daily rotation. APP2 for commuting and Bathys for the office. Sometimes I'd commute with the Bathys as well especially in winter to keep my ears warm :)

Specifically on the bass, the APP2 does seem to go deeper and has more perceived sub-bass. This is listening to stuff like Hip-Hop/ R&B. Not that the Bathys lack bass. While the Bathys doesn't seem to go crazy low sub-bass, it is much more balanced and has better separation I feel.

Keep in mind both the APP2 and Bathys can be EQ'd, so it's subjective feedback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back