Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Apr 14, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #979 of 1,708
Works very well for me with USB-C and dac mode when playing from my Hiby R6 2020.
Finally got a chance to try Bathys in DAC mode wired to HiBy RS6 DAP, and yes, it works great and sounds terrific!

Apr 14, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #981 of 1,708
Pleased you agree! It's a significant step up from wireless using standard aptx. I'm keen to hear it with a better codec though to see if DAC mode is still head and shoulders above.
I use a small AptX Adaptive transmitter dongle in my PC to stream out to Bathys in 24 Bit, and it is shockingly good for bluetooth! But yes, DAC mode is a bit better.

Apr 14, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #983 of 1,708
I haven't but did try it briefly from RS6 DAP...works! It basically sees the dongle as an outboard DAC, hopefully phone would as well.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #984 of 1,708
Question for other users: if I want to use Bathys in DAC mode plugged into my DAP (HiBy RS6), do I need a USB C to USB C OTG cable or will any USB C to USB C cable work correctly? Thanks for any information.
The only place where it would not work directly is with iPhone (i.e., USB C to lightning cable), where you'd need an OTG. iPad, Android, PC, and Mac work with any generic USB C cable.

As general info for iPhone users, with iPhone, you'd need to turn ON the DAC mode first before plugging it into the phone since the iPhone intervene in the connection as it perceives the connection as battery draining. Honestly, this is the area (i.e., DAC mode) that I sincerely hope PX 8 could implement simply to allow a wired bit-perfect playback.

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:45 AM Post #985 of 1,708
I've had no problem having the KB8P connect to my headphones while connected to my phone or any other device. I will, however, say that it felt like I would get millisecond drops -- very brief sound cutoff or clicking noise at times -- when I had them connected to two devices using aptX-Adaptive High quality.

Keep in mind that could also be due to Amazon Music being very buggy on Android (music service I use).

I feel that they need all the bandwidth they can get to fully utilize the higher end codec so I would disconnect any other devices when using aptX-Adaptive high quality (I also use aptX regular from my phone at times).

Another thing to point out is the range wasn't all that good as well, so going out of the room proved to be problematic for me.

The quirks of bluetooth I guess 😒
Honestly, at this point, I'll just make away with the Bluetooth dongle and connect directly with the phone itself since I faced more connection issues (connection drop, static noise, crackling noise) with the BTD 600 dongle than I have, the marginal improvement in the quality is not worth the quirk. For general use, it's already good enough.

If I want to bother myself with having something dangling around from the phone, I'll use the DAC mode instead.

Apr 14, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #986 of 1,708
I haven't but did try it briefly from RS6 DAP...works! It basically sees the dongle as an outboard DAC, hopefully phone would as well.
I have tested it on my S22U, and it works well. For iPhone, though, it is a bit finicky. Using ddhifi lightning to c otg the phone would detect the dongle (BTD 600 in my case) as requiring too much power. With other random adapters/otgs that I have lying around, the Bluetooth dongle works well though it made the adapter a bit warm to the touch and borderline uncomfortable.

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #987 of 1,708
Honestly, at this point, I'll just make away with the Bluetooth dongle and connect directly with the phone itself since I faced more connection issues (connection drop, static noise, crackling noise) with the BTD 600 dongle than I have, the marginal improvement in the quality is not worth the quirk. For general use, it's already good enough.

If I want to bother myself with having something dangling around from the phone, I'll use the DAC mode instead.
Yeah to be honest i'll only use the dongle with my Windows laptop now. The upgrade in wireless sound quality is pretty drastic here as Windows uses SBC and the jump to aptX-Adaptive is very noticeable

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #988 of 1,708
Here's a link to download the Windows "KB8P Assistant" necessary to properly setup the dongle along with firmware updates (which you might not need right now). That link should normally get updated with new firmware and software updates if ever there are any, so you should definitely bookmark it! 😉They don't really include a proper link to the software from Ali Express, so this should be helpful.

Once you have it setup to your liking from a PC it'll remember the settings and the last few connected devices. I suggest putting Aptx-Adaptive in high quality mode.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/wm0nsvo31p4jq/KB8_KB8P_KB9_KB9P
Hi @Toomuch. Received my KB9P, was able to install dongle assistant and set to high quality. However, not sure how to update firmware to FW 2.29 as the downloaded file just displays a command prompt but no instructions are provided. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much.

1 other quirk w/KB9P is that indicator light is solid green when I run it in AptX Adaptive, confirmed as that codec in Bathys app. Manual says AptX Adaptive indicator light is yellow-green and AptX HD is the solid green only. Have others noted this and is it signifying anything of importance to getting the best quality from the dongle?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #989 of 1,708
As I am an „Apple guy“ maybe some „android guy“ can help me: I need the smallest (size) Samsung with USB-C out in order to use it with Qobuz streaming (while in hotspot connected to my iPhone).
Why? First because I don’t want an extra apple dongle/adapter and second because the sound of my son‘s Samsung A13 (USBC wired) sounds better than wired with my iPhone.
So thanks in advance for suggestions.

Edit: It should run Qobuz without problems BUT should be as cheap and small as possible (no 5G etc. needed)

Ps.: Never mind, just bought the Samsung Galaxy s10e. Should do its job :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back