Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #886 of 1,729
How do people find the new EQ? It's interesting compared to the others because it doesn't tell you specifically how they've adjusted the EQ. I would suspect this might be either...

a) the EQ is adjusted beyond the 5 band settings that we have available to us and they can't visualise that within the existing UI.
b) the EQ isn't altogether especially different to what you could achieve with minor adjustment and they hide the specifics to create an illusion that this setting is doing something special when it's not.

Bass feels very slightly elevated and mid and upper mid range feels slightly elevated too, but I don't think it's drastically different. I think it also erodes some of the debatable soundstage that people appreciate on the bathy's, by bringing the mid range more forward it feels like it's a little more flat.

I think as far as more 'fun' orientated tunings go, I prefer the Bathy's default EQ, which already feels quite harman targeted anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #887 of 1,729
How do people find the new EQ? It's interesting compared to the others because it doesn't tell you specifically how they've adjusted the EQ. I would suspsect this might be either

a) the EQ is adjusted beyond the 5 band settings that we have available to us and they can't visualise that within the existing UI.
b) the EQ isn't altogether especially different to what you could achieve with minor adjustment and they hide the specifics to create an illusion that this setting is doing something special when it's not.

Bass feels very slightly elevated and mid and upper mid range feels slightly elevated too, but I don't think it's drastically different. I think it also erodes some of the debatable soundstage that people appreciate on the bathy's, by bringing the mid range more forward it feels like it's a little more flat.

I think as far as more 'fun' orientated tunings go, I prefer the Bathy's default EQ, which already feels quite harman targeted anyway.
I'm getting serious FOMO here. How do I get this new EQ option? If it means I don't have to decide on EQ settings myself then I'm all for it.

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #888 of 1,729
How do people find the new EQ? It's interesting compared to the others because it doesn't tell you specifically how they've adjusted the EQ. I would suspsect this might be either

bathys not harman targeted. factory it has perfect bass,but missing mids and highs. last 3 bands need up +3.5-4.5db for get normal sound.

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #891 of 1,729

Same with me, I also like the default EQ more. Voices seem to be more direct in comparison to the dynamiq setting.

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #892 of 1,729
OK I was being lazy and should have looked back through the thread. Someone had already advised to clear the cache but I didn't see it. Tried this and it has worked. Thanks.

No problem glad you figured it out. The user shouldn't have to manually sort things like this out, so I don't blame you for 'being lazy'. Focal should do a better job making sure it's consistently presented to all users. I bet there are a lot of folks using their device that don't have the update and don't read about it on message boards and stuff.

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #896 of 1,729
Is anyone aware of whether addition of LDAC support is on the roadmap for a future firmware update? I have ordered Bathys but that was a hesitation point as IMO LDAC is the optimal codec with my DAC.

During one of the pre- / post-launch interviews it was Mégane Montabonel (Product Manager for Focal guiding the Bathys launch) who mentioned that LDAC would be added at a later stage via a firmware update. I have asked her later via LinkedIn whether she could confirm that. I also mailed Focal multiple times for the same.
In the end nobody from Focal even bothered to respond whatsoever.

Given the fact that T+A (who initially confirmed that LDAC would be added at a later stage) ultimately ended up cancelling LDAC altogether I fear that Focal will also retract their earlier intention.

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #897 of 1,729
strength
During one of the pre- / post-launch interviews it was Mégane Montabonel (Product Manager for Focal guiding the Bathys launch) who mentioned that LDAC would be added at a later stage via a firmware update. I have asked her later via LinkedIn whether she could confirm that. I also mailed Focal multiple times for the same.
In the end nobody from Focal even bothered to respond whatsoever.

Given the fact that T+A (who initially confirmed that LDAC would be added at a later stage) ultimately ended up cancelling LDAC altogether I fear that Focal will also retract their earlier intention.
While that is unfortunate I do appreciate the strong intel you have gathered on this point. With another device I own I was surprised how much better LDAC was versus AptX HD, and will hold out hope it will be added for Bathys at some point soon.

I did "like" and concur with your LinkedIn post, strength in numbers and all that. :muscle:🔢

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #898 of 1,729
Received my Bathys and still exploring sound and settings. 3 questions thus far which I am hoping experienced users can provide insight about:
1. The volume steps seem uneven in BT mode, in that a single short press up or down on the right earcup volume buttons will reflect variably as 2-8 steps of volume change on my RS6 DAP volume indicator, and this is sometimes "laggy" in that the effect of volume changes doesn't occur for several seconds after a change is made. Is that "normal" behavior for Bathys?
2. In the Focal / Naim app. I can see that Bluetooth codec is AptX, but is there a way to verify it is using the highest codec quality available (EG - AptX HD or AptX Adaptive)?
3. Sound quality is good and "growing on me", likely some degree of brain burn-in over 1st few hours of listening. What are other owners experience about timeline and qualitiative effects of driver burn-in, at least for those who believe in such things!

Mar 28, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #899 of 1,729
Received my Bathys and still exploring sound and settings. 3 questions thus far which I am hoping experienced users can provide insight about:
1. The volume steps seem uneven in BT mode, in that a single short press up or down on the right earcup volume buttons will reflect variably as 2-8 steps of volume change on my RS6 DAP volume indicator, and this is sometimes "laggy" in that the effect of volume changes doesn't occur for several seconds after a change is made. Is that "normal" behavior for Bathys?
2. In the Focal / Naim app. I can see that Bluetooth codec is AptX, but is there a way to verify it is using the highest codec quality available (EG - AptX HD or AptX Adaptive)?
3. Sound quality is good and "growing on me", likely some degree of brain burn-in over 1st few hours of listening. What are other owners experience about timeline and qualitiative effects of driver burn-in, at least for those who believe in such things!
I wondered about your 2nd question too. Easiest way to check is on developer settings on your phone rather than the F/N app.

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #900 of 1,729
I let mine run for 100 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back